Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering potty training N when we're on holidau for 2 weeks & wondered if it was worth getting training pants or just going the whol hog with normal pants? Plus there is a new training pant out by Tots Bots which is reusable & wondered if anyone had tried it?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi Gill,

If you are wholeheartedly going to 'potty train' then I would recommend going straight to pants  :) (and you know I recommend Gina Fords book too - worked a treat for Henry and i'll be using it again on Lucas but not for a couple more months yet)

Good luck hun - it's one of those proud mummy momment when you realise they've cracked it  :-*

S xxx

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi Gill

I am with Shelley - half measures only serves to confuse.  When you mention you are on holiday, do you mean at home?  If you are going away it may best to leave it until you are at home as it will beso much for LO.

Good luck, hope it goes well

DC

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I got some knickers for him from Asda so just hope they're not too big. I was thinking of training him while we're away but maybe it is too much? Only problem is I work afternoons so unless I take time off it's hard to get a good long run at potty training :-\

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi Gill,

Lol to knickers  ;D

Although a good idea in principle, I don't think potty training whilst on holiday is a great idea - I think N might find it confusing when he comes home - but you never know  ;) If you are planning getting out and about whilst on holidays (which I suspect you will be) then it probably won't work.

How's about starting tomorrow - with the bank hol you'll have 3 whole days where you can be at home to try?

S xxxx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's def more ready, he's starting to pull at his nappy when he poo's (although not to tell me before he does it) & last night DH was putting his nappy on after his bath & N asked to go for a wee. DH normally asks him & he goes for one.

DH is off to the library this afternoon & I've asked him to look for the Gina Ford potty training book.

LOL they're briefs rather than knickers but at this age they look the same as girls ones! ;D

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Hiya

I had a solid week at home with K and he was dry by that point. I left pants on him at home and potty out, just kept reminding him he had pants on and not a nappy. Everytime I asked him if he wanted a wee he would say no but I put him on potty for a minute any way and he went when he needed to.

Im not sure where you are going on hols but can you take potty and have him in training pants and then ask him very often if he needs a wee , even when you are out ?  As it will get him used to using the toilet when out. Then you dont have to worry about wet pants as he will have training ones on?

It can be annoying asking them and taking them every half hour but it certainly worked for my little one

^goodluck^

xx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're off to France with the car & will be taking the potty anyway. Might give it a real good go this weekend & see how we get on & take it from there ::)

When I mentioned it to my NCT group they all seemed very suprised, I do think he;s ready through as he can pee on the potty & is now asking to be changed when he poo's. I know when he is playing he will forget about weeing  but that is to be expected isn't it???

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so we're had N in pants yesterday & today. Yesterday he was fine - didn't have any accidents but he didn't poo on the potty. Today we had 1.5 accidents - 1 wet knickers & a wet carpet which eventually made it to the potty. He's just pooed is his pants even though I literally asked him if he needed the potty 30 seconds before hand. I don't think he know he wants to poo & it just comes.

So my question is do I persevere as he's showing good signs with weeing  (yesterday he asked to go on the potty, wee'd & then emptied it in the downstairs loo& flushed the chain) & hope the poo bit comes along or should I wait until he knows he's pooing??? Thing is he's pulling at his nappy once he's pooed but shows no understanding of wanting to poo :-\

I thought weaning was hard but I just feel flummoxed by the whole thing! ^idiot^ :'(

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
I would stick with it if he is weeing as the poo issue can be done later ;)

As I type I have my 2 year old on the toilet causing a fuss as we has gone 4 days without a poo! as he wont do it anywhere other than his nappy as night (and I have been taking his nappy off early morning the last 4 days to get him to use the toilet to poo)

I know it is frustrating at times but keep perservering :)
x

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
from working with LO's pooing does seem to come later I would carry on with what you are doing

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I agree, definitely persevere, as it sounds as if he's got a good idea what's going on with wees. The poos will come (so to speak!!  ;D )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts