Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we bought a toilet seat which fits under our toilet seat which matches Kieran's potty.  Kieran isn't ready for potty training, but has used his potty and toilet when we have put him on them to get him used to them. 

The toilet seat isn't a very good fit and friends had the same problem with one they bought, so bought a cheap foam seat which fits on top of their toilet seat.  I was looking at getting one of these for Kieran, but then thought one with a splash guard and handles might be better for him (nice one on Boots website £12.00).  I mentioned this to my Sister (Childminder) and she says don't waste your money, get him used to holding himself just on the toilet as when you go out this is what he will have to do and as I work as well, I wont get that much use out of it.  She also says as soon as I can have him standing on a step and aiming at a ping pong ball in the toilet.  The thought of potty training is hard enough, blimey, standing and peeing, when do you start that?

What does anyone else think, should I get a new seat to make it comfy and easier for him at home, although yes, during the day and if were out and about in the future at weekends he will have to get used to a normal toilet without.

Thanks for your advice.

Shazznewman

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Hi

We didn't bother with any fancy seats  ;)  We did buy one that goes on the top of the normal seat ... think it was £1.99 from Home Bargains!  :)

F will use this to sit on and have a poo (tmi!) but prefers to stand and wee like a "big boy" ... a wee footstool would be a better investment, in my opinion.

Good luck
Dee

PS ... we still leave a potty lying around downstairs and F will just use that if we are down here, or in the garden etc.
At the childminders he has only used the toilet ... she has a downstairs one.  That's on my wish list! LOL!
xxx

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi

We got one that sits on top of the toilet too, it has handles on so Lola could hold on to make her feel more secure.

For out and about, I bought another soft toilet seat (with no handles though, so it was more compact for taking out) My reasons were that I thought she wouldn't feel safe balancing on a big toilet seat, and also for hygiene reasons (public toilets out here aren't that great to be honest). It hangs in a little bag at the side of her buggy so is easily accessible and doesn't get in the way.

I can see your sister's point about him getting used to holding himself on the toilet, but if they don't feel safe, it can scare them and put them off going on the toilet all together.

Sorry, I can't advise re the step and ping-pong ball though, only having a daughter!

Good luck.
Jo xx

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Hi there
I don't know about boys and standing but personally I wouldn't bother about a soft seat or handles or whatever. D has the one that fits (albeit not brilliantly) under the seat. She never wanted to use a potty but was fine with her seat. From almost day one it never bothered her if she didn't have one - at first I held her for security if we were out and didn't have her seat - now (just two months later) she can balance and get on and off by herself etc. She just loves the whole big girl thing.
They have to get used to it at some point.

Poll

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Poll, maybe it's becasue Lola's quite young that the soft seat is more benefit for us, cos there's no way she could get on and off by herself anyway yet! I know she'll have to learn to go without it at some point, but I'll probably keep on with it til she goes to nursery at 2 years.

·
Registered
577 Posts
HI

Katie is just starting potty training and is getting on really well.  she loves her potty but does not like sitting on the 'big toilet' - but she is still quite young.  One of her Pottys (she has a collection) transforms into a seat for the toilet (with handles) and a step.

As for out and about - we have a travel potty which we keep in the car (I saw the new one of these last week and it how has 'wings' to turn it into a toilet seat as well - quite a good idea).  However, we also have a toilet seat that folds up and will fit in your handbag etc.  It really is very useful and you do not have to worry about dirty public toilets.  Hope this helps and good luck

Sailorgirl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts