Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks 
Is anyone from NI heading over for treatment in Glasgow in 2011?
I will be getting treatment there in June, and would love to hear if anyone else will be getting treatment there.  Hopefully we'll get lots more success stories!  ;D
Thanks
Bump

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi bump I done my consents last wk at GCRM this is my 2nd cycle with them and they are fantastic

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Bump14...I'm not from Ireland but am due to start my second cycle with GCRM in June!Lets hope this is our time! ^pray^

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Bump, Walsh & Peachy Pam,

I am so delighted to see your posts today! I have been reading the GCRM thread closely on the Central Scotland Board as I start my stim injections next week & will be ready for EC hopefully early June if all goes well. My DH & I are delighted to be under the care of the GCRM.

Hope this a lucky time for all us ladies  ^pray^  ^pray^. My drugs were all delivered today, I am so excited to be starting again finally!!!

CB

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, so glad to have some cycle buddies  ;D
Walsh, my consent appt was on monday, so we will probably be close in dates. 
How and where are you all getting your scans done?  I'm not sure where the best place to go for them is.  Didnt like the attitude of D'donald on the phone, or the prices.  And RFC makes you wait til 4pm for results.  Why is nothing ever easy???  I'm wondering if it would be easier to hop on a plane!
Bump

·
Registered
123 Posts
Last time I had my scans done at the rfc this time as we are doing a donor cycle I only need 1 scan so going to pop over to gcrm then if there's a problem they will sort me out there and then were are you all staying when you go over

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Walsh - I don't know yet where I will be staying, but probably won't go over til near ec time. 
Claire - you must be so excited!  ;D  I am hopping up and down myself at the minute, and I dont even start stimming for a couple of weeks yet!  The preparation seems to take so long, compared to the stimming part! I wasn't told anything about a baseline scan, so I don't know if Im supposed to need one or not - my head is pickled! ^idiot^

PeachyPam - Are you from Scotland?  If so, we will all be begging info about where to stay in Glasgow! lol!

What protocol are you all on?  Im on the programmed antagonist (i think this is what its called!)  so have a couple of weeks of metformin before i get started on norethisterone and then stim.

Bump

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bump any questions then ask away as I'm from Glasgow lol there is a Travel lodge at Braehead shopping centre 5mins from the clinic that is very handy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have just sent my bloods over to GCRM to check my AMH level, as soon as I get the results back we are going to make our 1st appointment, its all very exciting!

I have been advised to get me hep c/hiv etc blood tests done asap so I have everything prepared, does anyone know of anything else I need to get done in Northern Ireland before I can start the process with GCRM? xx

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Walsh  :) .    Will def pick your brains as i go through the process!
Jen, glad you can join us.  You will probably need to make sure your smear test is up to date, and that you have rubella immunity.  You can get your gp to do both of those for you, and going through your gp will save you some money when you get to gcrm.  Thats all I can think of at the minute, although i chose to get my thyroid function checked before going through treatment as well.  I had hep B done through origin previously, but apparently it wasnt the right type of hep b test that had been done, so i had to get it done in glasgow as well.  You might need to double check exaclty what is needed for that.

Bump

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bump - Thanks for the advice, just want to make sure i get things organised early.

Its really great to have people to chat to that are going through the same thing!  :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is a great thread, as hubby and I decided to go with GCRM as well... heading mid june for the one-stop-shop day for test, consultant and consent. Will be sending over the bloods for AMH next week but we've been told by RFC that my FSH levels are practically off the chart at nearly 33 so it will be interesting to see if GCRM make any mention of that... so here's hoping that the AMH results don't back that up... otherwise we'll have to consider DE and I don't know if I'm entirely ready for that option...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Girls

Hope you don't mind me joining in. We are looking at different clinics and trying to make a decision where to go. My GP has suggested GCRM as he says a few patients from the practice have had successes there. I was wondering why you made the decision to go for GCRM?
Also, as we live in Belfast; how do I arrrange scans etc?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dandy girl, good to have you on board  :)    I hope your AMH comes out ok; but I think gcrm seem to be pretty good at giving you quite a tailored cycle so hopefully they will be able to work with you - fingers crossed.
Maybee -I was just looking into scans over here and it looks like you can get them done either at the rfc or with a private doc (r. roberts) in dundonald.  if you want to pm me, i can give you some more info.  gcrm will be an=ble to help as well, i think.  They are very used to us n. ireland girlies coming over for treatment! lol  ;D
afm, i only have 2 more days before i start the metformin - yay ;D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just had my first metformin.  Really hoping I don't get too many nasty side effects.  But so far, so good  ;D

Maybee, have you come to a decision yet?  Did you get all the info you needed?

Dandygirl, how are you doing?  Are you excited to be so close to your appt?

Jen, Walsh, Pam, Claire, hope you're doing ok.

Bump

·
Registered
61 Posts
hiya bump14

trying not to think about it too much, as its still 3 weeks away,  we've both had the various tests done, hep b, c etc, but I still have to send over the blood sample for the AMH test before we go over as well as the rubella one.  And on top of that the RFC are looking for another FSH to be done for the NHS cycle! Honestly there must be buckets of my blood samples all over the place! I'm sure everybody feels the same!  ::) 'cuse my ignorance but what's metformin for?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The metformin is prescribed because i have pcos.  I think its supposed to lessen the chance of ohss

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks bump14! Still getting to know all the meds!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok Walsh, I give up.  ???      Where on earth is good to stay in Glasgow?  I have pretty achy joints, so a comfy bed is really important; bed not too hard etc.  I have been looking on the internet, and am so confused.  I was thinking about trying to keep the drugs cold as well - do we need somewhere with a fridge in the room?  Thank you in advance,

Bump

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bump we stayed in the holiday inn in the airport grounds. It was clean and comfy and you could also use the airport restaurants.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts