Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this may seem like a bizarre question, but has anyone taken their young child with then to Reprofit whilst undergoing IVF for a sibling??

We are hoping to cycle there in March/April and as we would really struggle to find someone to care for our little one whilst we are there, we would have to take him with us and make a holiday out of the journey.

We are having ICSI with OE and DH sperm and my concerns would be on the day of EC and when my DH had to do "his bit". I wounder if we could time it so that DH could do his sample, whilst i minded the child and once DH was done, he could take over.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation?

Layla xx

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
No not been in that situation, wish i was though  ;D .  I have heard of others worrying about it though and i know of one lady who got a t shirt made up that said "i am an icsi baby"! I  thought that was quite cool.  Personally i would not worry too much, you will not be the first or the last to do this.  My friend came in with her young child while i had treatment (she drove me)  no one battered an eye lid.  It may even give others hope.

Practically i am sure the clinic will understand and accommodate your child. xx

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks coweyes,

It is hard as you don't want to cause any offense/upset to anyone, i would much rather leave him at home in his home comforts, less stress on him and us and not worrying about having to take him to the clinic, but as granny is old i do not think she would cope with him for a day let alone a week and to be honest i could not leave him for a week.

The t shirt is a fab idea, when he was born he had a vest that said " i'm a little icsi pixie! maybe i could get something similar?

I am going to email Stepan and ask him direct, at least that way i will know where we stand.

Layla xx

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Layla

The thing is tbh that every1 is different, i am sure there will be a few people who would be offended but the world is full of things that are upsetting, if i was you i would just do what you have to do.  I think as long as your not cooing over him then it will be fine. xx

·
Banned
3,412 Posts
When I have had treatment and people have been there with babies or little ones I felt it was like rubbing salt in to the wounds. I know not everyone is the same but I suppose the green eye monster comes out. I know when I have been to reprofit there have been a couple of children in the waiting room.

Linda

·
Registered
644 Posts
When I had my first attempt with ISCI with reprofit, I also had the same concerns. It was an own egg cycle and I had to be there for 9 days and there is no way I would be away from dd for that length of time so we had no option but to take her. There is no way I would take dd to a clinic here in Ireland but it was different going abroad and I had to put her first and leaving her for 9 days with family just wasn't an option. I rang reprofit and they said she could wait with us in the waiting, DH would go first and then me. As it turned out that cycle was cancelled.

On my last cycle she came with us too and there was two other children in the waiting room. A baby and a toddler. Maybe you could stress your concerns to the clinic about not offending anyone and ask could you wait in a different room.

Anyway, good luck next Mar/Apr.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello-I am planning a return trip to reprofit in July this year. I cannot believe how much I have forgotton! My  head is spinning. I am after advice from anyone who has been with a toddler. My main problem is finding accomodation as we need somewhere with a seperate bedroom. Also what do we do with LO when we are at the clinic? Finally we had ICSI 3 years ago at reprofit...Stepan emailed me and said we don't need any further tests...but I am worried things may have changed ...e.g. DH sperm, my fsh. Is it worth having these tests done again in the uk?
Any advice I would be grateful for! Thank you

·
Premium Member
9,032 Posts
Hi Francesl - I've merged your topic with another similar topi started a couple of months ago - hopefully someone will be along to answer your question and there may be some useful info in the previous post.

Take care

Mini x

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Hi Layla

When I read your post, I thought that you were asking about the practicalities of taking a toddler with you, although I can see that I have overlooked the fact there are clearly some sensibilities around teh issue of taking a toddler to the clinic.

Dealing first with the sensitivities, I must admit that when we went for our recent attempt at Reprofit, we took our toddler with us.  There is no way we could have left him with anyone at home for the whole eight days we were there, but it is true that I could have left him with DP in the apartment whilst I had the embryos transferred.  HOWEVER, we have always treated IVF until now as very much a thing that we have undertaken as a couple, and I really did not wish to have transfer without DP present.  To be honest when I was going through our first two IVF cycles at the ARGC, I really really liked seeing people bringing in their babies/toddlers - partly because I was at that point still fairly optimistic and had yet to suffer the green eyed monster, but also partly because seeing them gave me hope.  Having read a couple of the responses on here, I can only apologize if my actions upset people who were at the clinic at the same time as us.  your comments certainly have made me think.  None of us knows when the green eyed monster will strike, and I know (now) that that particular monster can be pretty intense when it strikes - and it can really hurt if things upset our equilibrium when we are going through egg collection/transfer.

On a practical level, I didn't have egg collection (we used donor eggs) and so I haven't had the potential problem of both DP and me having to perform at the same time.  Again, I'd speak to the clinic and ask them if there is any way DP could do his deed before you go in for egg collection.  Or vice versa.  However, when we had our embryos transferred to me, we were allowed to bring Raphael in with us and in fact he sat on DP's lap and held my hand.  Selfishly, I must admit that that made the whole experience more meaningful for me and DP, particularly as Raphael was conceived at Reprofit.  From the clinical point of view, it seemed like it was no issue whatsoever.  And there were at least two other children at Reprofit when we were there in September.

In terms of things to do in Brno with a toddler, we found very little.  Thanks to a suggestion from a fellow FFer (Bron, I think) we found a rather dismal - but don't knock it, it is the only one - swing in the garden of the brewery in Mendlova Nam.  There is some huge amusement park somewhere nearby I think, but it looked huge and a bit beyond our 13 month old, so we didn't bother.  Finding the right nappies was hard work, and finding the right formula milk for the plane journey was impossible - although R doesn't generally drink formula, the cafe at Bratislava airport closes at about 4 pm so there is no milk available for later afternoon flights.  So if you use any particular food or drink, I'd definitely suggest you bring your own. 

In terms of accommodation, we stayed at Andy Nye's apartment, which has got two bedrooms, a huge sitting room and a huge hall, which was ample space for our boy to run around in.  IN fact he learnt to walk there.  What's more, Andy bought a cot especially for our use, and we bought a cot mattress which we left under the spare bed.  Bedding we brought ourself.  If  your baby is a light sleeper, you might want to think about taking some blackout blinds as the curtains do not block out light.  Similarly, Eva has one or two apartments in the same block as Jana which have more than one bedroom.  Again, seems like same issue there with blackout blinds.  But can really recommend Andy's apartment, as it was central and warm and big bath.

To be honest, taking R with us more or less ensured that I got very little rest - not DP's fault, all mine, as I can't bear not being with R.  So, in an attempt to increase my chances of relaxing, DP is going to do his bit on the day of egg collection, and then I am flying out for three days on my own, leaving R at home with DP.  It means that our rose tinted couply view of IVF conception has been questioned, but maybe I'll get more rest, and it is absolutely certain that R will have more fun at home with his Pa rather than traipsing around Brno with his Ma and Pa.  however, if I were doing OEIVF and so were planning to be away for a week or more, there is NO WAY I could leave R for that long.  You have to do what you have to do.  It will be straightforward and my advice would be to clarify with the clinic that they will accommodate your needs to be dealt with one by one, and then don't worry any more - because effectively you have little choice.

Not sure if any of that has helped.  am rambling. 

VEC X

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VEC,

Thankyou so much for your reply.....and all the other ladies on here, your views have been very helpful.

Vec, thanks for all the practicalities of taking a toddler, i will read your advice again to digest it all, i may ask you a few more things if i think on any.

As for taking our little one to the clinic, i emailed Stepan and he said that was fine.
It is soooo hard in doing so as like you said you do not want to offend anyone like you are rubbing salt into the wounds so to speak.
It is always a difficult decision, as we all know how hard it is when the green eyed monster kicks in....i was that green eyed monster for 13 years before our lucky icsi so i myself know how hard it is. Yet like you i remember seeing couples bring young children to the clinic where i was at and in a way if i knew they were concieved by ivf/icsi i found it a comfort to know it can happen IYKWIM.

It is not something i am looking forward to i must admit, as part of me dosen't feel right doing it, if i could get round it i would and i just pray i do not upset anyone unintentionally.

L xx

·
Premium Member
9,032 Posts
Layla - I know if I was there I'd love to see babies and toddlers - always gives me hope!
It is a personal thing I know and some may not want to see babies and toddlers. 

When are you out there??  If we're there same time - I'd gladly give you a hand and entertain little one!

Take care mini x

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Layla - you cannot get around it, you have considered the permutations and options available to you, and this is your only option.  Therefore, do it, and stop worrying about it.  Sorry, that sounds blunt, but I am sure that everyone on here will want you to succeed with your next cycle and will not want you worrying about things you cannot change.  :-*  Yup, I was going to say the same as Mini - I am out there 12 and 13 April - could babysit if necessary. Mini - when are you going?
VEC XXX

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Mini, shame, would have been nice to meet you.  But VERY best of luck.  And give my love to ashjee next time you see her xx

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mini,

I may be there around that time, maybe we could meet up  ;D ;D

I will let you know once i know my dates a little more

Layla xx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.