Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to posting but really need some support and reassurance at the moment.

I was due to start DR for the first time on 1st May but the hospital cancelled our treatment the day before as I had cracked a tooth on the weekend and need a course of dental treatment. :mad:

Whilst I totally understand there reasons for cancelling it doesn't make it any easier to cope with. I am so used to being in control of things but this is something that controls me! The more I read on FF the more I realise - WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF IVF!

We had physically and mentally prepared ourselves to start our ICSI journey and finally felt like we were making progress now it is all up in the air!. The nurse that 'broke' the news to me was also very matter of fact about the whole thing. Being told 'give us a call when your tooth is sorted' isn't what I needed to hear just after they'd cancelled our treatment. Although the other doctors and nurses we have dealt with in the past have been fantastic. It was just my unlucky day in more ways than one!  :(

My dental treatment won't be finished until the 10th June! So we should be able to start in 2months time. Whilst we might only have a 2month wait I am 38 and feel like time is against me. We had obviously been given our treatment plan I was due to be DR with 0.5ml of Suprecur and then stimulating with 225iu of Menopur. Those of you more experienced at all this than me - are these 'normal' dosages?

My head is full of questions and concerns! Has all this happened for a reason? What have we done to deserve this? Maybe DH and I just aren't meant to be parents! I know I am seeing the glass half empty but this is all so unfair - as it is for all of us on FF. I am so emotional over the whole thing - it has taken me since Thursday to even be able to post a message about it. Right now I should be DR instead everytime I open the fridge I just see the drugs sitting there. It's so frustrating and having tooth ache doesn't help!

Have any of you found yourselves in a similar situation? I now feel I want to find out as much as possible about our treatment as before I was happy to leave it all to the hospital. Is there anyway I can work out from my AFs when our treatment might start again - sorry if that is a very obvious question. I don't want to keep 'pestering' the hospital but DH and I are going to need to possible change work commitments.

Thank you for taking the time to read this  :) and thank you for any help or advice you might be able to offer :)

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
No advice honey other than to say really sorry to hear about the cancellation ^hugme^

I hope you can start on your next cycle xxx

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
just to say i know how you feel  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

our 1st treatment was put on hold 4 about the same time, i was so ready to start had waited ages then my mums house burns down and she in intensive care ( she pulled through and is OK now) and you just think why me is it just never meant to be, but i have now started my 1st tx at long last.

what is the reason that they will not carry on with the tx, you would think you could still go ahead !!

hopefully the weeks will fly by, maybe try and get away for a nice weekend before you start something to break the time up, i wish i had as I'm now dying for a holiday.

sorry but i dint know about the drug questions but I'm sure the clinic will know what there doing

good luck,

Natalie ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tooth that I cracked last weekend is what’s causing the problem.  :mad: The dentist has discovered that there is an abscess under it so I’m I on a strong course of AB for a week. The tooth has previously had a root canal filling which they need to remove. Then it needs to be left for a couple of weeks in case the abscess needs draining then the root canal filling needs to be redone and finally a crown put on! All this will go on into the time when I should have been stimulating and the crown would have been fitted the week after I was due to have EC and ET. So I can understand why they needed to delay my treatment but it was difficult to take the day before I was due to start DR.

I’m so pleased to hear your Mum is OK it puts my tooth problem into context.

Good luck with your treatment - really pleased you have been able to start. Fingers crossed it all works out for you.  ^fairydust^

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Hi,
Just wanted to say how sorry I am. I know I am in different circumstances, but I am 38 too and had planned to start ICSI at the Lister, mid July. A few weeks ago I had irregular bleeding and was diagnosed with a cervical polyp. This was removed without too much difficulty, but my smear test which was done prior to polyp removal came back as borderline. The doctors are pretty certain that it is inflammatory changes due to polyp, but I have to see Consultant on 7th July and I assume another smear done. I doubt very much if I can start treatment under these circumstances and I can only do this in school holidays to make it as easy as possible for my boys. I think these things are sent to try us!
Get yourself fit and well again and focus at the Summer, it's a good time to have treatment!
Love Prija

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi

The drugs that you are on a normal...i was on 0.5ml suprecor and think tihs is a stanard dose, the menopur is dependant on your hormone levels, and is kinda trial and error drug..(not trying to get you down with that) what i mean is different people respond differently, and they sometimes adjust your medication accordingly.  I am a very poor responder to the drugs so i was on 600iui which is the top dose which is quite unusal, most people seem to be on 3 vials 225 iui..so i guess you bob on.

My treatment was not delayed before i started, mine was delayed whilst on it, as my body was not responding ( blimey i sound like a right freak !!! ;D) so i had to DR for longer, which through me consideralby and i was gutted.

The most frustrating part of all these treatments is it is all out of her hands, we cannot control very much other than what we eat and taking our drugs the rest is either down to the doctors and the rest is down to our bodioes..

My friend told me when i was quite down about being delayed treatment, that good things come to those who wait...so remember that and hopefully it will be worth it when your time comes !!!!!

Good luck

Netty

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Prija – you’re right these things are sent to try us. My DH says what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger – lets just say we’re going to be very strong by the end of all this!

Pleased they were able to remove the cervical polyp without too much difficulty. The summer is a good time to start treatment - the sun is shinning here this morning and it instantly makes you fell more positive. ^daisy^

Good luck for your appointment on 7th July – let’s hope for both of us May and June fly by. Take care :)

Hi Netty – thank you for the drugs info. It’s good to hear something about me is ‘normal’! I’m learning more all the time. Knowing more is actually helping me come to terms with the delay and frustration I felt.

From your profile I can see that you have been through a lot – all credit to you that you remain so strong and positive. I really hope you have good news on the 17th May … let’s hope good things DO come to those who wait. Take care and good luck for your 2WW.  ^pray^ ^pray^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts