Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering what different people did for treats in between birthdays and xmas.

I was given a set amount to spend on DS for xmas, I hold my hands up and admit in the sales I picked up a few bargain DVD's on amazon, but DH was talking to me today as I may have accidently ended up in the ELC and got some educational treats for DS.

I picked up some games from the ELC that were £5 each and they're going to make fantastic b'day pressies, I was asking DS what he wanted for his birthday as I've seen kitchens on offer too. (All he wants is a real working Dyson, infact when he's older at present his only life goal is to own his own Dyson, totally obsessed with cleaning due to Montessori getting them to involve themselves in chores and polishing silver - who has silver nowadays?!?)

I may have also grabbed him a mop/dustpan and brush set, which he was over the moon about. To be fair I was briefly tempted by the play food where you have all the elements to make a variety of sarnies! (So DH was lucky that the total amount was only £20!)

Obviously at this age they don't have pocket money, I don't know if you do the same but we get DS a magazine - BBC are doing a fab one on counting which is quite educational for a BBC mag!

What are your rules on this kind of thing?

xx

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
This is interesting for me as J's birthday is xmas eve so obviously a very long time between huge piles of pressies!!!

With M I always tend to space out her pressies, ie she opens them and she knows they're hers, but frankly if you let them have too many things at one go some things tend to end up 'neglected' or it all gets a bit too much and nothing gets proper attention. So we basically put some stuff away and bring something new out every few weeks.
I've done the same with J's mountain of birthdya/xmas pressies. Some of the stuff he got is 18-24 months which will be great in a few months so I've been giving him stuff little by little. Of course he's younger and I think the 'too many at one go' does fade as they get older.
The rest of the time for M if I absolutely fall in love with something I'll just get it and put it aside, then if she's been particularly good, tried to be helpful etc I'll let her have it. I must admit there have been situations where stuff I've bought and stashed away has been useful for bribery...needs must and all that :)
If it's books I'll generally get them and give them straight away. I love books and so far thankfully so does M. We've quite a library of children's books now. I guess I'm just trying to recapture my past....I had loads of books when I was little and we moved house when I was 12 and they were all stashed in one huge box which somehow got lost/stolen/misplaced in the move and I never saw them again. Still feel sore about it now!
So no real rules. I try not to overspoil but at the same time if I know it's something that will teach a skill or something like that I will get it.
X

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

It must be hard having a b'day and xmas so close together. My brother was born on the 21st so he used to sulk about them being quite close together.

I was pretty much of the opinion of if its educational things like books and other toys then its not technically spoiling ;D as they're bought to enhance J further. As well as sitting on here I go on amazon quite a bit and watch the prices of things, if they fall low enough I'll click buy. I've been looking at pc games although its a nightmare getting them compatible with windows 7, the Peppa Pig game just crashes into a blur of colours.

You're so right about spacing out pressies, we discovered that on his birthday that he just opened something chucked it to one side, I think he was totally overwhelmed. So for xmas we had presents first thing then kept leaving more presents under the tree periodically.

It's just a shame that the ladybird books are so expensive, I like the old tales like The Three Little Pigs, Goldilocks, etc. The only place I've found them, they want to charge £3/£4 a book. It's a shame my brother was into burning things with his friends as I had full collections like you. I used to love Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, etc. Recently managed to get Jack onto Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny etc.

xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
If I see something that my LO's would like and I have the money then I buy it and they have it. I know some may disapprove but I think there's much more to a child being spoilt than how many toys they have or whether they have 'treats' or not.

So long as mine don't develop an "I want it and I want it now" attitude then I'll keep on as I am. ;D

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I'm kinda with Chux. We buy a lot of stuff from car boots or charity shops so not mega bucks. However I do recycle toys - bit like a long term paid for library - they go back to the charity shop!

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
~ Chux ~ said:
If I see something that my LO's would like and I have the money then I buy it and they have it. I know some may disapprove but I think there's much more to a child being spoilt than how many toys they have or whether they have 'treats' or not.

We the same in mainly. Smaller things they get as and when, "bigger" things I may save if there is a birthday or something coming up

·
Registered
91 Posts
Amy is lucky as her birthday is 30th June - couldn't be better ready for pressie distribution.  I must admit I'm naughty and get odd things through out the year - little things like books, puzzles, instruments and ofcourse things that she really doesn't need if I've got some money -  Waited long enough for her can't help spoiling her.

My house looks like ELC - can't walk past without popping in.  But I have started selling toys etc she's outgrown on EBay.  I put a note in my phone of ideas for bigger pressies for B'days and Xmas as always get asked for ideas - much easier to look than to think off the top of head.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
But Cathy, why is it naughty and why would that make her spoilt? Being spoilt is about the attitude towards the toys/treats, not the toys/treats themselves AFAIC.

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
We don't tend to have any rules on this. If we see something we think LO's may like and if we want to, we buy it, I'll either put away for Christmas/Birthday or give it straight away. It depends. For example, DD is massively obsessed with "Cars" atm and we have enjoyed her enjoying some of the "Cars" orientated books or toys we have come across and bought her, there's no point waiting as she'll be into something else by then. Sometimes I let her buy something she has picked up in the shops and wants, mostly I don't. (Obviously depends what it is and price!)

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Dh goes mad at me the amount I spend on the boys but I don't care!! :D

if C has been good, he gets s reward - usually a car of some sort which costs pennies in asda. Big expensive things are kept for special occasions.

If C is doing the stampy feet dance, he gets nothing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Interesting

my dd's birthday is end of may and she only gets her big presents then ie she'll prob get a bike for her birthday etc - but little things I tend to buy as and when I see them and as rewards for good behaviour.  If I bought two things then I'd put one away for another time!

If she's throwing a strop she gets nothing

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never thought about it as the attitude the kids have towards the treats.

Jack is usually totally over the moon with the slightest things I get, some may be concerned about his enthusiasm about having his own toy mop ;D ;D

He certainly doesn't expect treats, the only thing he grows to expect (which is a bad thing from my parents) is smarties and buttons. But toys and magazines he's genuinely surprised about.

xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hiya

Small things we get as and when. No rules as such, only that big things are for xmas/birthday. Also if its something he has lots of or something similar (if he's asking for it in a shop) we don't buy (cue tantrum  ;D  )

We have birthday and xmas close together. He had so much at xmas off everyone. Its his birthday on Sunday and every single person has phoned to ask me what to get him, and been told clothes or put the money into his account. I'm struggling myself and all we have bought him is a large tub of playdough and accessories and an outfit  :-[  I will put some money into his account aswell but i feel bad, But there is just nothing hee needs/wants

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hiya

Interesting discussion and different views. I tend not to buy toys that often although have got some great bargins at car boot sales (especially his mega blocks and mega blocks truck). DS gets books at any time again a combination of new and second hand. His b'day is in February and whilst not too close to xmas means he goes 10 months without possible pressies so last year I kept the money that he recieved for b'day and bought him some outdoor toys when it came to summer.

I must be a terrible mum cause sometimes I take him down the toy isle at the local supermarket to let him have a look but 9 times out of 10 do not buy him anything as I want him to understand that he doesn't always get. His 2 favourite toys are the mo are 2 of the cheapest a small car and a small soft rugby ball that he loves throwing up and down the hall with his dad  ;D

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Mary - Lou said:
I must be a terrible mum cause sometimes I take him down the toy isle at the local supermarket to let him have a look but 9 times out of 10 do not buy him anything as I want him to understand that he doesn't always get.
Oh we do the same the girls can ask to look in the toy shop etc but majority of the time it is just to look.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Mary - Lou said:
I must be a terrible mum cause sometimes I take him down the toy isle at the local supermarket to let him have a look but 9 times out of 10 do not buy him anything
Nothing wrong with that - I have been known to take mine to Toys R Us for half hour as they always have toys and ride on's out to try. ;D

Just to add, when I say mine get stuff all year round it's not big expensive stuff, that does tend to get saved for birthdays/Christmas. Also, when they get birthday money etc, I won't spend it 'just because'...........very often it gets banked until something comes up that they want but I will buy big stuff with that if needs be - ds2 was given quite a bit of money when he was born but didn't need anything so it was put away - we eventually bought an 8' trampoline 18 months later!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
We've done the walk round toys R us today and they came away with nothing.  They did ask but didn't question me saying no especially as it is B's birthday today so she has had enough already.  They got 2 fish for their fish tank from the pet shop instead as a birthday treat

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Oh us too

DD is quite happy just to look and actually has never made a fuss when I've told her she can't have something- I just tell her mummy hasn't got any money and she seems happy with that!

Wonder how long I can get away with that!

X

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Wish DD accepted that. We get full blown tantrums on the floor but hey ho, you can't buy them everything they want.  ::)

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Jasey said:
Wish DD accepted that. We get full blown tantrums on the floor but hey ho, you can't buy them everything they want. ::)
Strangely L won't throw a tantrum if he wants a toy and i say no, but if its chocolate or sweets he wants (I blame the inlaws ^bigbad^ ) Than we get full blown paddy ::) ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts