Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some bad news yesterday, I had a NIPT percept test and the pregnancy came back high risk for trisomy 13 which is very rare and probably incompatible with life, from my extensive googling 馃様 馃槶 apparently the test is 82% correct at being right. It鈥檚 usual with this to miscarry or terminate the pregnancy 馃槕

Does anyone have any experience of this? I have a 13 week scan at 13+2 and a CVS booked for 19 May - such a long wait!! Currently 11+2. There is a possibility this could be inconclusive and I鈥檒l have to have an amino at 15.5.

I am devastated but have realised from some research this result often has a false positive and I also think they calculated the risk based on my age, not the age of the embryo - age 35 v 41. The risk increases with each year so I鈥檓 going to call the clinic back today and speak to the genetic counsellor to see if this makes a difference. I also want them to tell me my own risk not the general risk. I have so many questions today now I鈥檝e digested the news. I鈥檝e decided to be positive until proven otherwise - a new type of PUPO for me. I am preparing myself for the worse though 馃挃

Super Moderator
Dear Wilberdoo
I am so sorry to read your news. I have been in a very similar place to you and its not a nice place to be. Although I have no direct experience of trisomy 13 I was in the same predicament with tripoloidy syndrome which is quite similar unfortunately, We were given a 1 in 2 probability of our baby having this syndrome which was based on bloodwork as well as a scan and then finally a CVS which revealed multiple abnormalities. Have they given you this prognosis based on age alone or have they performed a scan? Unless you have got the full facts, bloods/scan etc then it can't be certain. A CVS will tell you for sure but these an only be done up to 14 weeks.

I really hope you can get some answers soon, its a very worrying time for you, sending you lots of love and hugs xx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks lovely 鉂 I had an NIPT test at 10+3 which came out high risk - age is a factor but not a big one apparently. They found lots of DNA with extra chromosome 13. I have my 13 week scan at 12+3 next week and more bloods with the cvs after if we go ahead. If all of that is inconclusive we鈥檒l look to have an amnio at 15 weeks. It鈥檚 so awful but I feel better having a plan and I managed to bring my scan a week earlier so less waiting. 1 week until I get more info hopefully. I鈥檓 hoping the dodgy Chromosomes are confined to my placenta DNA and are not in my baby boy 鉂

Registered
I cant add anything to artypants excellent information but just wanted to send u a massive hug xxxx

Registered
I can't add as well, just wanted to tell I keep fingers crossed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts