Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

The top tips thread is brilliant and I've found loads of useful info on there which I also wish I'd had with my singleton!

I'm now blessed to be 21wks pregnant with twins and Have an amazing 19 month old!

I'd really appreciate anybodies top tips on parenting twins and another cheeky monkey!! In particular I'd like to know:

What do you do for bath routine - my ds is in a really good routine bath at 630 bed at 7 and sleeps for 12 hrs! I'd like to keep to this and also do something similar for the twins! Do you bath them then dh take twins or tot and me other? I'd thought about all Reading a book together in twins room then ds going into his own room with either me or dh for his 'own' book then bed? With the other parent sorting the twins!

I intend to breastfeed and express as much as possible - how have people managed this whilst entertaining a lo?

How did you prepare your lo/lo's for the arrival of not one but two beautiful babies??? I really don't want my ds to feel pushed out as you can imagine and all feel he's the centre of our world at the mo!!

That's it for now - phew!! These questions that keep us awake while pregnant eh? I always remember someone saying to me that mums don't sleep they just lay in bed with their eyes shut and worry!! Starting to know what they meant - ha ha!!

Thanks in advance

Pea

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Pea, congratulations on your twin pregnancy and your lo.
My ds turned 2 a week and a half after i had our twins. i think i worried about all the things youve raised too. I didnt breastfeed but i have heard people say they got colouring books and sticker books and quiet activities for the older one to do while breastfeeding. i did this for ds while i was bottle feeding twins as you still have to sit and do it and cant run around after the older one.

we found that as newborns our twins sleapt most of the time. so when we came out of hospital we had the travel cot downstairs near us for them (they went in together as were nice and small so loads of room) they literally came out the cot for feeding and burping and some cuddles with us and visitors and the rest of the time were in the cot. This still gave plenty of time for ds and by the time the babies were more alert and needing more time out the cot ds was totally used to them and the fact they were here to stay!

in the early days we had a baby chair and a swing seat and at ds bath time one of us would stay with the babies while the other one did ds bath. this would work if you wanted to then take each baby up and bath them seperately. or those bath seats are good if your on your own. i have to say our twins dont get a bath every night but they are used to it so its not a definate part of bedtime routine for them.

top tips from me would be
make sure you get the twins used to self settling as this frees up lots of time for ds. our twins now go in their cot awake and self settle for nap time and bedtime. (never managed this with ds).
if your ds is a good walker then this wont apply but our ds is almost 3 and still needs a pushchair if we go out shopping. i wish id invested in a second hand triple buggy like the abc or t3 jogger as i found i was housebound if i wanted to go out id have to beg someone to come and help me.
also once the babies were 4 1/2 months or so they started going in the jumperoo and i got a second hand baby einstein playstation which have been lifesavers. i highly recommend you get something like this if you havent already and get one for each baby (beg, borrow or steal if you have to!!).

Have to say its now lovely watching ds with his twins. he knows he is special because 'i have 2 babies' as he tells everyone. the small age gap is hard when you have 2 babies and a toddler but it is soooo rewarding. you will soon find what works for you as a family.
hope this has helped if you have any more questions or would like to know how we did things im happy to share.
Ali x

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi pea and AJM30,

I am pleased to find this thread as there is very limited information out there on twins and a toddler. My DS is 20 months and I have just found out I am expecting twins. I know it is early days but want to prepare as much as possible. Can you recommend any good books to read.? I am also interested in how you sleep your twins, together or separate? I would like to sleep them together but after starting to read gina fords twin book am now confused and they advise to separate. Also feeding, do you feed your twins at the same time to establish a routine e.g wake the other if one is awake , or demand feed each separately ? I really appreciate your time in reading this and any advise would be great fully received.

Love Claire xx

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi

I did the Gina Ford routine and initially popped them in the same cot at either end but one use to wriggle down, despite being swaddled, and wake the other. So I separated them into different cots in the same room which worked well. I didn't demand feed but fed them following her routines, so at night when one fed, I would feed them and then wake the other. I used her book loosely and followed the feeding and sleep times but ignored the rest. I didn't bath them every night but had a set bedtime routine right from the start of milk, lullaby and then bed. The lovely thing about her routines too is that it made time for my daughter who was 4 nearly 5 at the time. When I fed them she would watch a favorite DVD or I'd read a book with her but at lunch time and nap times we had time to ourselves. I used the singleton book though and doubled it up as the twin one is very confusing in my opinion.
Her routines aren't for everyone but the plus of them was that the boys were totally in sync with their sleeping and feeding and we all knew where we were

Top tip -

You will have bad days but remember tomorrow is another day and will be better  :)
You and DH may well argue a lot in the early days and it will test your relationship - it's normal and it will get better  ;)
Controversial one but... a good routine  ;)
Allowing them so self settle and not running into them as soon as they begin to cry
Dr Brown bottles for colic (if they have it)
Blackout blinds to help stop early waking and for nap times
A travel cot in your room in case one is very unsettled at night and you need to separate them to stop them waking the other
Swaddling
Anbesol liquid for teething
I hate to say it but dummies were a godsend in the early days
When they get bigger, stand up play tables that they sit in the middle of

The early days are hard work but I love being the mum of twins and they and my DD are so close it's lovely to see them all together xx

·
Registered
308 Posts
Slinkyfish you total star, a huge thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions and put my mind at rest.

Hope yr having a great weekend.

Xx

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I am sorry but I have to say GINA FORD is pure evil!!! ^swear^ (Sorry Slinky)

All we did was start a routine early and fit the babies around the toddlers and try to get at least one time a day when they are all asleep (morning naptime) and use this time to nap/read/eat! Basically have you time!

And I agree self settle, into bed awake, dummies if they like them!
And feed together, unless you are ^idiot^ ^idiot^

And yes it is possible to BF/express for twins and entertain two toddlers, so you will be fine! (I am back at work ten double shifts a month and my girls are still Having BF & EBM)

Re twin BFing - Get a proper twin feeding pillow and a good double electric pump and tandem feed whenever you can (it helps supply by increasing hormone levels) it is tough in the early days but it is very rewarding!!

Re Sleeping- My boys slept in separate baskets/cribs/cots and my girls sleep in the same cot one in each end! It is just personally choice (we were scared of the boys waking each other and they came home seperately) I think twins sleeping holding hands are very cute but of course the downside of the girls sleeping together is that they have occasionally vomitted in each other and steal each others dummies, etc.

You will decide what works for you there is no right or wrong!!

I have the ABC quad buggy if you want to know about it!

Feel free to ask me questions!

Oh and Congratulations on expecting

CLP :-*

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
cutelittlepumpkin said:
I am sorry but I have to say GINA FORD is pure evil!!! ^swear^ (Sorry Slinky)
No offence taken ;) ;D I do agree it is not for everyone. I need routine and cope better with it but others don't and when it all goes (.)(.) up you have to remember that it happens and that tomorrow is another day, rather than feeling a failure. It also takes a while to establish and you need to take some bits with a pinch of salt and, in my opinion, use the feeding and sleep times picking out the best bits and ignoring the other stuff. For example, none of mine could manage her awake times so I just let them sleep as some babies do need more sleep than others
I think the important thing here is to do what is best for you. I needed some sort of guide as I had no idea what I was doing, so for me it was a life saver. However I know others hate the idea of putting babies into a routine. It is a very personal choice

Anyway, don't want to turn this into a GF argument as it's not what the initial post was about. Just follow what you find to be the best way for you xx

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm liking this post as my DD will be almost 2 when the twins come along ..I'm liking take one day at a time I'm such a worrier i BF DD for 2 weeks my nipples cracked and bleed so bad i was in so much pain i stopped and and sopped and felt like i failed so I'm trying to think go with the follow i would like to try again but not so upset if i chose to bottle feed  :)

I'm a little unsure of a buggy too as i was thinking twin buggy and a buggy board but I'm not sure if DD will be OK on a buggy board and get too tired to stand? so then i thought sling for one twin and DD in the twin buggy with a twin? but then Will my back kill? ??? ^idiot^ see i am a little stress head  ;D

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Veng- I only managed 8wks BF the 1st time brought loads of bottles expecting to need them this time and am still BF at 6.5months! Was planning to try and not beat self up if had to bottle feed! LOL  ;D
I would get a twin plus toddler seat (that comes off and take it from there) I have pushed a fully loaded double while wearing a sling!! And ouch ouch ouch!! I don't recommend it!

Slinky- Yes lets leave GF alone!! LOL  :)

CLP  :-*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts