Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My twins are only just 2wks old and I'm just wondering when I should get them into some kind of routine (if this is poss so little) at the moment they sleep when they want hardly ever togther so that means we don't get much sleep.
They often sleep into the evening from 3 until 8-9 waking for a feed but going straight back to sleep.
I know this is why they are waking in the night from 9pm to 2.20am as they have had all that evening sleep , but I'ts so hard to wake them when they are sleeping and as they are so small I'm not sure if I should let them carry on like this until they are a few wks?? I know people who have manage to get their children sleeping throught the night from 8wks but I not sure how to start this rountine. Any help will be gratefully recieved .

CJ xx

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi CJ

Congratulations by the way, I hope you're enjoying your little ones.  ^bundle^ ^bundle^
We have been lucky with Ella, from day 1 she has put herself to sleep and only awakes twice for a feed in the night. Every other night I bath her at approx. 9pm, feed her, play for a bit then put her to bed at approx. 10pm when she is starting to get sleepy but still awake and she sends herself off to sleep within ½ hour. She tends to wake about 1-2am and again at 5-6am for feeds, sometimes only once :)
On the other nights I just feed her and the bum change tends to wake her for a bit normally. Again Bed about 10pm.
The odd times she has slept of an evening lately we found she was wide awake from 4am onwards.

She did have times when she slept virtually the whole day in the very early days but she still seemed to sleep of a night aswell. Obviously you having twins is going to be different as like you say they sleep at different times but I would of thought the earlier you try to get them into a routine the easier it would be in the long run as otherwise they will get too used to what they do now.

Happy Mothering anyway  ;)
Dellxx

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cj and Dell lovely to see you both posting-hope you are both well and very happy with those bundles.

Joey and sonny are  now 17 weeks-time flies.

When small, they went to bed late around 10-11pm and would wake around every 3 hours. The worst part was the times when they took 2 hours to go back to sleep!!!

At 9 weeks they just suddenly went through the night. Now 8 weeks later Sonny still wants a feed around 2.30pm, and sometimes goes to around 4-5am-i think he is just greedy. joey on the other hand is a dream and sleeps right through to around 6am. Also from around 12 weeks they started to go to bed earlier. We were bathing them around 8-8.30pm and then feeding etc, when i realised that we were waking them up to do that. I figured if we brought everything forward to 6.30pm then they would be ready to sleep by 7-7.30pm which is when they were falling asleep. hence Joey went to bed around 6.50pm tonight and I can hear sonny messing John around downstairs but that is because John always gets messed around by them!!!!!
I have never been able to set a routine and often wondered if I should but realistically they are setting their own-you just have to pick up on it and react. CJ that may be a while off or they may be doing it already!

Take care ladies.

love
Helen
X

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hiya CJ,
Congratulations on your lovely twins!  ;D ;D My advice, (I've twin girls who are just 6 months old,) is to get them into a routine as soon as possible.
We started putting the girls to bed at 7.30pm when we brought them home from hospital and have managed to keep that going until now, (with the occasional missed night!!).
Our girls were in Special Care for 5 weeks and they were in a good feeding/sleeping routine when they came home. Don't know if you were advised to feed both at the same time, rather than one at one time and the other an hour or so later, but it really is a good idea, otherwise you can just spend your whole day and night feeding!!! And you end up absolutely bog eyed!  ^eyes^  Even if one is asleep when the other wakes, it is worth waking them together initially. As they get older they find their own routine, but you'll have helped well establish it by then. It is different with two babies because they have their own personalities and needs and make individual demands, but they are just S0 worth the effort!!
Congratulations again CJ and good luck! You'll be fine!
Love Mel.xx  ;D

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Hi ya all

Our twins are nearly 6 weeks old. We have a sort of routine going. They feed roughly every 4-5 hours so they get a feed around midnight and then wake up for a feed around 4 or 5 am. We were in the neonatal unit for 2 weeks so this was pretty well much established on discharge. We dont have an evening routine going yet. They sleep downstairs in their twin carrycot until we go to bed which is usually after a feed. We will probably introduce a better night time routine in a few weeks time but for now, I just feel safer having them close to me.

We have two girls - Scarlet Mai and Phoebe Dee - aged nearly 6 weeks and born on 15 October.

Flakey x

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
thanks for all your replies, boys are doing really well, I didn't have to worry the boys have found their own routine and are now going to bed at 8pm, we feed them at 10pm and they sleep untill 4.30am-5am feed then are straight back to sleep until 9.30am. They are very kind to us  :) Hopefully it won't be long until they go till 6am, yippee!
I can cope with a 6hr strech of sleep quite well, (I know I'm lucky as I've heard some horror stories from my local twins club.

Love CJ, Charlie and Finley xx

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Well things are even better, as of Friday the 3rd of Dec Finley has been sleeping through!!, We feed him at 9.30pm and he doesn't wake until 8am.
Charlie is following in his little brothers foot steps and has been sleeping through since Monday the 6th Dec. Yippee!! Long may it continue.

Love a very happy rested Mummy , CJ xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
That's brilliant news CJ - well done, and long may it continue  ;D ;D

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi everyone,

Our twins are 1 week 3 days old today and they are sleeping nearly all day and waking from about midnight till abt 3 am.  They are also having trouble being winded, Midwife told us abt Infacol today and we found it to work on Louise but not James.  Oh well, wonder what tonight will bring, probably a bad one as we seem to have one good one then a bad night.

Im dreading Steve going back to work in 2 weeks time, hes so brill with them and i walk about like a zombie  :-[  Getting over c-section day by day, but my back has been bad today, think i overdid things today.

Well im off to catch an hrs sleep before they wake.

Love to all,

Susan xxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Susan

Re wind- infacol can take up to a week to work. It also has to be given at each feed. If you only started using it today its still too early for it to be fully effective.

Getting over a c-section takes time. I do understand how you are feeling and I only had one baby. We are all here to support you. When Steve goes back to work will you have any one else able to support you?

If I can help in any way Im here for you.

Love

Jeanettexx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

I've been feeling quite down for the past few days, health visitor says its just the baby blues so I'm not too worried but it still doesn't feel good.  This advise on sleep as been good to read, makes me realise this sleep deprevation wont last forever!  I feel giulty for feeling down though as they are such little angels.

My twins, Rebecca and Sophie are almost 4 weeks old and are pretty good when it comes to sleep, they put themselves to sleep after a feed and are feeding every 4-5 hours (about 45 mins apart), they have a lively awake period for 4 hours every day and that is the unpredictable part, it varies every day, sometimes its in the afternoon but then sometimes its in the middle of the night which I find very hard as everything seems so much harder and longer at that time.  We tend to put them down in their cot after a feed around 8ish and have stuck to this since bringing them home, the rest of the time they are in their seats or on their kick blankets (if awake). 

I have just been doing what I think is right but since feeling down have begun to wonder if I am doing this right at all.  Anyone else feel like this?

Kathryn xxxx

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kathryn,

Don't worry at all, your feelings are soooo normal :)
I started this post as I didn't seem to be getting anywhere with the boys I let them sleep when they wanted and that was usually all morning or all afternoon and most of the evening and then they would stay wake until 2-3 in the morning , crying mostly, and looking back now, it was really bad some nights.
Your girls are not quite 4 wks so I really wouldn't worry, just get the rest when you can, I won't say sleep when they do as i don't know one twin mummy that's ever been able to do that :)
The only positive thing I can say is that it does get better with time, not helpful now i know but it is so true.
My two sorted out night from day by 6wks and slept through by 9wks,
I have two friends from twins club, one has 13wk old twins and one has 20wk old twins (who were born at 29wks) and they all have been sleeping through for a few wks now , so it does happen quite early with twins.
I just left it up to the boys and they worked it out for themselves.
Now they sleep 10-11.30am, 1.30-4.00pm then 7pm-8am with just one feed at 9pm and they don't even wake for that feed really I have to feed them while their asleep. This has been happening since they were 11wks.

You are doing everything right , don't worry IT IS hard work and it wasn't until they were going 6 hrs in a row that I started to feel like my old self, also the hormones had a lot to do with feeling down, in fact i asked my h/v to book me in at the dr as i was sure I had PND, but after about 5wks things were back to normal.

Try not to worry your doing a great job, you've managed to get on here and post... my h/v said some women she's been to see don't even get dressed! and they have ONE!
just remember the way your feeling is fine.

Love CJ , Charlie and Fin xx

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi Kathryn

It sounds like you do have the baby blues. I think that I got it when my two were about the same age as your girls and it does make things hard work, but it doesn't last forever. You're doing pretty much exactly the same thing sleepwise as we did and we finally got into a daytime routine at about 8 weeks old. Things became much easier once they were in a routine. We only put Daniel and Charlotte in their cots for their night-time sleeps because it made things easier - they spent loads of time under their play gyms and became really good at amusing themselves.

I made sure that I got out for a walk with the pushchair every day to get a bit of a break from the monotony of the feeding routine. I usually waited until the afternoon when I needed a break more. I found that they quite often went to sleep in the pushchair and I got lots of admiring comments from other people which made me feel better.

Take care and remember that you've taken on a major new job that lots of people wouldn't be able to do and you're doing a great job.

Jules

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you for your posts, the baby blues went away after about a week, thank god! 

Rebecca and Sophie are now sleeping really well, they are 10 weeks old now and since 8 weeks have been sleeping from 7pm - 7.30am with just one feed at 3am but hopefully that feed wont be needed for much longer!  We are all really happy now that we can get some sleep and I'm just so relieved I have a routine going.

They are such a delight to be around, really happy babies.  They sleep in their own cots and can put themselves to sleep, thank god.  We need are own time, as soon as they go down to sleep I poor myslef a large glass of wine!  Never needed a glass of wine so much!

Anyway, all this talk of sleep is making me sleepy.

Night night!

Kathryn xxx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts