Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies

Just a very quick question, how many of you got twins from a single embryo?

Embryologist said to DH "well of course twins is still possible from a single embryo".  He can't get it out of his mind.

Regards

HJG

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Two ladies at our clinic got twins from a single embryo. They're over on the Hull Clinic thread - one of them has identical girls, the other has identical boys.  :) (Well actually, the lady with the girls doesn't have twins, she has triplets, as she had two embryos put back and one split into two identical girls!) I don't think it's all that common though - maybe a 3% chance or something like that. We were told that the better quality the blastocyst, the higher chance of it splitting.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
We had one blast ( out of 6) that they thought was showing signs of splitting- it had 2 inner cell masses, so we left it to use it on its own just in case, but it hasn't turned into twins, we had a nervous 7 week scan though!

I think it is pretty rare,

Livityx

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got identical twins from one embryo! But actually, they are triplets because we had two embryos transferred, so we have two identical daughters and one fraternal. There are a few ladies on the triplets board this has happened to, but I don't know the ratio of how often it happens.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I read a story while we were having tx about a woman who had 2 embryos put back, they both split and she ended up with quads.  It scared me somwhat and put me off having more than 1 put back!  ^idiot^

·
Registered
743 Posts
We have identical twin boys from a single blastocyst transfer  :) . We were told there is about a 7% chance of an IVF blastocyst splitting. Good luck!

Vicky xx

P.S hello M2M! You gossiping about me  ;D ???

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I think that the probability from embryos not at the blastocyst stage is very low. If you are worried, do ask your embryologist for stats.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had our scan yesterday and only one heartbeat - in a funny way I am disappointed but I haven't told DH!

HJG

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello ladies

I'm a bit late to this thread but we had one frozen blastocyst put back and we have ID twins on board (22+3 now)!! Was an absolute shock to say the leat but it does happen and we are very excited.

Vicky x

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Hello.

I got twins from a single FET. Sadly miscarried one at 8 weeks. It was quite a shock all round  :eek: :eek:

LL xx

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had an early scan today as had some pain and spotting. I am 6 weeks so too early to tell for sure but there were two egg sacs. It was the most shocking thing I think ever to have happened to me and certainly for my husband. We had a single embryo transfer with our last surviving embryo out of 14 frozen embryos (this was our second FET). I have spent 3 years convincing my husband to try for another baby and he only agreed if we had a SET so this is not good really! I'm sure we will both come round to it if it continues to progress to twins but at this moment I am in total shock. Help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.