Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have just found out on Saturday at my 6 week scan that I am pregant with twins, however they could only see one heartbeat. Has anyone else had this??? I have to wait another 2 weeks to go back for another scan to confirm. This feels like a lifetime and I hate not knowing if our second bean is Ok or not! Is it quite normal for this to happen???? I am asking the clinic today if they can fit me in earlier for the scan as I am not sleeping at night worrying about it and what with Christmas coming up could do with some answers.... :( Even though the thought of having twins now when we already have a 19 months old scares the hell out of me, now I know there is another one in there I sooo don't want to loose it)

·
Premium Member
7,539 Posts
Hi Sarah

I had my first scan at around 6 weeks and had 2 sacs, but only one heartbeat. We were told that we could have vanishing twin syndrome (which is apparently very common) and had to wait a week for another scan. At my second scan at 7+1 there were 2 heartbeats and I now have 8 week old twin boys.

According to my consultant lots of pregnancies start out as twins and it is very common for one embryo to implant and then not develop - 'vanishing twin syndrome'. You don't hear alot about it as most people don't have a scan until around 12 weeks when the second twin has often been re-absorbed into the womb.

It really is just a case of waiting to see what happens, but if they can give you an earlier appointment to put your mind at rest I would push for one. I know it is easier said than done but please try not to worry - there is very little you can do about it apart from wait  ^hugme^  ^hugme^  ^hugme^  ^hugme^

All the best for a happy and healthy pregnancy  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

Karenanna xxx

·
Registered
880 Posts
hi honey,
i had my scan at 6 weeks and they found 2 sacs and only 1 heartbeat i was told to go back after a week, sadly when i went back the other sac still had no heartbeat and they said that sadly my little bean had gone it was absorbing itself  :'(  i went on to have a very healthy beautiful 9 lb baby whos now 3. xxxx try not to worry at a time like this u need to be stress free. ;)

I hope both your beans r very healthy im sure they are xxx

shye ^hugme^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.