Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am coming towards the end of my pregnancy and am a bit stuck!!

A couple of months ago I spoke to my midwife about cotbeds and sleeping arrangements. She said to me that moses baskets are a waste of money as babies are in them for such a short time.We did buy a babysafe divider though which splits the cotbed in two. At that time we decided not to buy moses baskets, but now Im not so sure!  :-\

I would like both babies to sleep side by side in the early days, but we have just made the cot-bed up and it looks massive! I don't know how to make it up with the sheets etc or whether to just go ahead and buy a couple of moses baskets.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!!
Jen xx

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Jen,

We wasnt going to bother with Moses Baskets, but they were presents.  Twins havent been out of them - very useful.

At the mo, mine sleep together but getting bigger.

Susan x

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Hi Jen

Firstly wishing you all the best for when your twinnies arrive!

I know I'm not a twin mum but I wasn't going to do a moses basket and Chloe was going to go into her own room from the start (cotbed).

We got one of those safababy sleepers too (still use it, great invention!)

Anyway, we did decide last minute (6 days before I gave birth) to get a moses basket.  It was useful but only for a very limited time.  Chloe went into her cotbed at 6 weeks but was in her own room from the start.

Yes the cotbed does look big, but honestly in 10 weeks Chloe grew 8cm!  Why don't you keep the bed made up and see how you go?  You could always use growbags when the twins get to 10lb each which saves worrying about covers etc.

Does this make sense?  :)

Good luck.

Love Sue
xxxxxx

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Jen

Not a twin Mum but my friend who is simply put both girls side by side in the cot.  Then when they grew a bit they went one at each end and then eventually into their own.

Moses baskets are useful for us but I have an oversize one and a small baby, friends who have a normal moses basket found that there little boy has already outgrown it at 7 weeks... a lot of money for that period of time

Clare

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Jen,
We didn't use Moses baskets.  The twins just slept in Cots, side by side or end to end.  Yes, the cot beds look huge, but a few months down the line, your babies will have grown so much, they will be filling the cotbeds up.
The hospital, where my twins were born, had cots for twins and triplets.  When we brought them home, we initially only had one cot, so they slept side by side in that.
Well at least until they got colic.  Then I slept in the same room as the one bubba sleeping in the cot, and hubby slept in another room, with other who slept on a blanket on the floor.
At about 6 weeks we moved and we then had two cotbeds, but they slept head to head,  lengthways along the cotbed.  This was until twin 2 did a kind of backstroke up the cot.  When he hit twin1, literally, twin2 woke up and cried, because he couldn’t roam around the cot anymore.  Twin 1 woke up too, because he had been hit.  So at about 8 weeks they were moved into their own cots.  These were side by side, so they could see each other.
Twin1 developed physically much quicker than twin2, so we had to lower his mattress first, otherwise, there was a chance he would stand up and topple out of the cot.  The first time we put them in their respective cots, it was very funny to watch, they couldn’t figure out where the other one had gone.  After a few nights, we found twin 2 up against the cot  bars looking down at his twin and twin 1, against his cot bars, looking up.
Enjoy your twins
Lorna

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Hi Jen,

I have 14wk old twin boys and I was unsure of what I should do about the sleeping arrangments, i wanted them to sleep next to each other as my midwife said that they would probably sleep better, but we didn't have enough room in our bedroom for 2 cots. In the end we got a cotbed and a babysafe divider and we just made the cot up with sheets and blankets up the top end of the cot tucked in the sides and put rolled up towels down the sides (read to do that in a book to keep the blankets secure) and put the divider on after that and that way they have a lovely little bed, and my head was in line with theirs and you don't have to worry about them slipping under the covers . They slept next to each other like that quite happily for a while until they went into their own room as I wanted to use sensor pads and they need to be in their own cots for them to work.
Some people worry that they will wake each other if they sleep together but I have never found that to be a problem.
In the day time when they were small they slept down stairs in their carrycot together then on the floor on their blossom farm mat (nice and padded) and now they sleep in their cots.

hope that helps abit. Love CJ charlie and Finley xx

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your helpfull replies ladies...am feeling alot calmer about it all now!!

Jen xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts