Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I'm a long way away from this yet but soon hope to start ICSI and trying to decide whether to have one or two put back if we get that far.  I also have arcuate uterus which Gynae says isnt a problem and shouldn't cause me one but IVF hospital think I should have one put back and not two as I could have increased preterm labour.

I also fear if we got that far twins would be hard work and cost a fortune.

I'd love to hear how you all feel now you are having twins etc.

Mel x

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Mel,

They are hard work and do cost a fortune but they are worth it and then some!!  I wouldn't swap my babies for the world - twins are so very special.  I don't know too much about your condition and I can only suggest that you take advice from the medical staff.

I wish you every success.

Katie xxx

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Katie your twins are beautiful.  I'd love twins.  did you have IVF for yours?

Its hard for me as the gynae who did my hsg says it won't cause a problem but IVF Hospital consultant says I could have preterm labour.

I  know preterm labour is common with twins - did you have preterm labour

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Mel,

Our twins George and Grace were born after our second attempt at IVF.  I worried about pre-term labour throughout my pregnancy but eventually I was induced at 37+4.  It is very special being a Twin Mum and I love it that the babies will grow up having each other.  It must be difficult but you will have to try and find out all you can about your condition and then speak to your Doctors about it.  Knowledge is power.

Let us know how you get on.

Katie xxxx

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hi Mel,

I agree with Katie that twins are hard work, but i havent found them twice as expensive (yet!) I think because we were having two babies friends and family felt the need to buy more for them and they have ended up with so much stuff they cant get through it. My mum insists on buying all of their nappies and wipes which is a great help. Kayden is a few pounds lighter than his big chunky brother Jake so he gets all his hand me downs  ;D

If we decide to have ivf again i will only have one embryo put back as i dont think i could cope with two sets of twins  ::)

Whatever you decide to do i wish you all the best,

L xx

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks girls!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just like to say TWINS ARE BRILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

We had ours on our 3rd ICSI attempt. They were born 8 weeks early, which was very scary, but could have been worse as I started having contractions from 23 weeks. Was admitted and given drugs to stop them on 5 occasions before waters broke one night and they were on their way ready or not!

We have spoken about having another go and whether or not to replace just 1 embie. Don't know the correct answer to this, common sense says just 1,  but I am pretty sure we would replace 2 again!

One thought that keeps going through my mind is, if we only replaced 1 embie last time, which one wouldn't we have now? Ffion or Lowri? I can't imagine life without either of them and hate the thought of only having 1.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks and congratulations!!!!

8 weeks early that must hvae been scary - was there a reason for them being so early?  did they have any problems because of it and did they stay in hospital long after.

Thanks again

·
Registered
125 Posts
So far the girls seem to have got away with being born so early. The only thing that makes them stand out from the crowd is that they are still quite small, especially if you compare them to full term babies of the same age.

They have to go back to special care clinic every few months for check ups (had to go last week - both given the thumbs up, want us back in 6 months to see them walking next). Apart from that and Ffion having a slightly stiffer hip on the right side probably caused by being cramped before being born, no real issues at all thankfully.

They spent week in Special care, before being discharged on to the post natal ward, where we spent a further 2 and a half weeks. This was just until they had learned to feed properly (prem babies born before 34-36 weeks approx do not yet have a suck reflex).

No idea why they came so early, I suspect it was because I was at full stretch and just couldn't get any bigger!! I measured 40 weeks (full term) at around 26 weeks!!! My waist was 46 inches and I no longer fitted into my maternity clothes & had to resort to wearing my husbands trousers!!

So far I have not found them to be terribly expensive, especially when you consider how much we paid for the treatment! But I am lucky as people are forever buying bits and pieces for them.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.