Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my day 21 blood results and been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and have been put on 50mg levothyoxine for 3 months.

The doc said this may be the cause of me not ovulating.

Can any advise me of how long it will take to get the thyroxine to start working as we've been trying for 12 months+ and I am losing faith.  ^idiot^

Please help!

Bellini

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Bellini

i also have an underactive thyroid that was stopping me ovulating - for me it took about 3 months to start ovulating again. Overall thyroxine takes 6-9 months to take full effect (cos its a hormone its slow.....).  At least they found it though - so its a positive - and i assume you hadn't become really unwell from the thyroid not working ? mine was only diagnosed as i got really sick...

your thyroid can fail for a long time before you notice - so this maybe why its not working for you at the moment - so hopefully this will be a nice easy solution!  ;D

your 3 month blood test should say how well your thyroid levels are going anyway.  good luck!

Lottie x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
You should be able to feel a difference within 3/4 weeks - I know I've only ever had to wait a month for a retest after a change of dose as I was told that was enough time for it to have taken effect.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't unwell at all although now looking at the "symptoms" I nearly have them all!!

We've been TTCing for a year and I had a 75 day cycle the month before last so my doc sent me straight for an internal scan which was clear and 21 day bloods, which the results are thyroid.

In one way it's positive, but in another it's frustrating.  I'm not exactly the most patient of people!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm underactive too - as are most of my family - what a lovely thing to inherit!  I started to feel better after about 3 months.  Goodluck hun - great that they've caught it!

Sarah

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Bellini,

I have Hashimoto's and suffered really badly several years ago with overactive thyroid but now have it under control without meds. Did you know you can also give your thyroid a helping hand with your diet? - so if you have underactive thyroid it will really help you to increase your iodine intake, found in e.g. green veg (spinach, broccoli, etc), bananas, use salt which is iodine supplemented and kelp tablets help.

Hope that I could be of some help & don't ever lose faith  ;)  There are so many of us here who know how you feel. Keep fighting for what you want!
^hugme^  ^reiki^  ^hugme^

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've read your posts with interest.

I too don't ovulate - my last TSH level last week was 5.5 and the TSH tests I had in Oct and Nov were 5.85 and 4.95

I have been feeling SO tired lately and have but on weight even though my diet hasn't changed and I exercise regularly. My GP is being far from helpful/understanding and has made me feel like I am over reacting and the fact that the last TSH test was 5.5 means my thyroid function is normal.  ^idiot^

If you don't mind me asking what TSH levels do you have?

Do you think I should worry about mine being 5.5?

This crazy IF world can make you loose sight of reality at times so I don't know if I am over reacting!! I'd rather not have a thyroid problem but if the problem is there I'd rather they treat it!

Hope you can help  :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that i have had hashimotos for the last 5 years and have spent the last 6 months trying to sort it out after 2 years of TTC.  As you can see 3 months after sorting out my treatment i am finally pregnant, so there is hope.  However, i do think all us underactive girls definitely have to take control of treatment as my experience is doctors and endocrinologists are reluctant to do anything if you fall in the normal range or to consider alternative approaches to treatment. 

Like you girls since treatment started i have always been at the high end of normal and had gradually gone up to 125mg.  I always felt like i hadn't felt back to myself again and had gradually put on 3 stone in weight even though i exercised more and improved my diet which was really frustrating.  I had terrible tiredness and insomnia - a crappy combination, got quite weepy and down particularly in winter (when metabolism slows down naturally let alone if it's not working anyway), my periods started getting erratic (unusually shorter rather than longer, having always been 28) and i wasn't ovulating every month. 

Anyway after lots of research and working in a hospital i found out that recent research and common practice in the USA is that your TSH should be between 1-2 to conceive because normal ranges are based on the hospital population (which contains older, sicker people, and all the people with undiagnosed hyperthyroid) so do not reflect a healthy population.  In the end i went to see a private doctor in Harley St that i found through the thyroid support group, who worked on my thyroid as well as nutritional supplements etc.  He presribed me Thyroid Armour, a natural thyroid extract (from pigs unfortunately) which contains T4, T3, T2 and T1 and more accurately reflects the human thyroid, than just replacing T4 and was the treatment of choice before synthetic thyroid was invented.  It's important to look at your T3 levels as well, as naturally it is converted to T4 as your body needs it rather than just replacing the end point by putting just T4 into your body.

I started taking it in mid-feb and within a day felt like a different person, my DH said it was like i'd had a personality transplant overnight.  Since then i've felt like a different person, full of energy, lost about half a stone so far, sleeping better etc, but most importantly 3 months later conceived.  I'm currently taking and extra 3/4 grain of armour which contains (28.5mg T4 and 6.75mg of T3) and being monitored by the doctor regularly, he's already had to reduce the dose from 1 grain as the weather gets warmer and it's important to have it regularly monitored while you're pregnant as it puts extra strain on your metabolism.  You can just buy it over the internet, but i didn't feel comfortable doing it without medical supervision. My last thyroid readings in April were TSH  0.10 (0.27-4.2), T4 22 (12-22) and T3 10.3 (4-6.8) an bit too low/high and thats when we dropped my dose down a 1/4.  Before changing treatment my results in Jan were TSH 5.88, T4 20 and T3 3.3.

I know everybody may not be able or want to go down the private route, but i suppose the main point i want to make is that most people are being drastically undertreated for their thyroid and it makes it much much harder for your body to even function properly let alone conceive.  I did  talk to my GP and endocrinologist about both adding synthetic T3 to my treatment or prescribing Armour and got short shrift, but you may have more sympathetic support and it's worth asking rather than going down the expensive and time consuming route i've taken.  In the US they many more endos will presribe Armour and T3 and seem to be much more aware of the link between infertility and undertreatment, it seems here we lag behind.

I'm sorry that this has been such a long post, and i'm certainly no expert, but i think i would have found this info useful and it might save you some time and heartache to know this nfo sooner rather than later.  I know it's very early days for us in this pregnancy but we had both secretly decided that it would never work for us and it has so it's a huge step forward for us when we had no hope and had been told by our consultant that we should think about egg donatation and route we didn't want to go down.

If you want to know anything else let me know
Take care and good luck on your journeys!
Kirstie

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Morning everyone

Thanks for all the replies.  It does make me feel much better that I still have a good chance of conceiving even with my thyroid problem.

I'm afraid that I don't know my counts.  The only number my doctor mentioned was 20 but I think that referred to FSH levels.

I too have definately gained weight in the last 2 and a half years (a good 3 stone and as I'm only 5ft 1 it really shows :().  I've also gone through terrible mood swings that I have put down to wedding stress and moving stress but I think it's definately hormonal.  In fact I think I have been more weepy since my diagnosis but I think that's due to the upset about not ovulating as we tried really, really, hard this cycle to BD a LOT.

I've taken 6 pills so far and whilst I don't feel less weepy, I definately feel like I have more energy (not running races yet, but I feel a little more awake in the mornings).  I do also feel that my appetite has been supressed a little as well which can only be a good thing.

I'll keep this thread updated as much as I can with any updates.  Perhaps we could all support eachother on it?

Love to all -  ^reiki^ Bellini xxx

·
Registered
169 Posts
As a few people have come back to me asking for contacts for private doctors i thought it would be useful to post where you can get the info. If you go to http://www.thyroiduk.org/ they will send out an info pack for £6.99 with lots of useful stuff about Armour (natural thyroid) and doctors all around the country that will see you privately, and prescribe either T3 and/or Armour, as well as looking at adrenal function and general nutritional issues usually.

best wishes
Kirstie

/links

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have been underactive since I was 21. No known cause.

After finding that thyroxine supressed my TSH levels, but did not leave me feeling much better (supressed TSH with high T3 and T4) I eventually asked to be referred to an endochronologist. Once I had the name of one, I contacted his secretary to see him privately. He put me on Thyroxine and liothyronine combined.

This has confused subsequent doctors, who worry about my levels as they always seem strange. Last year a GP cut my thyroxine by half (from 200 to 100, with 20mcg of liothyronine) and after a year of feeling terrible, my current GP tested me and found that my TSH is in the middle of normal, but my T3 and T4 are too high, so he has increased the thyroxine by 50mcg.

To any underactive ladies out there, I would strongly advise pushing for T3 and T4 tests when you have your bloods done, as TSH can be supressed without your thyroid actually being supressed and your T3 and T4 figures give a much better indication.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts