Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other girlies out there with unexplained IF? Come on I know you're out there! ;)

Leni x

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Leni

Yep me!!

Laine x

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello darlin' not 'spoke' to you for ages.

How you doing?

I just thought it was time we had a thread started for unexplained folks like us.

Leni x

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Leni

Good idea! 

I am not doing too bad, learning to live childfree but not giving up hoping for our miracle.

Was sorry to hear about your last cycle  :-* 

Laine x 

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks darlin'

Sorry you and DH have had to make that decision, it's good to still see you so active on the boards. And you never know what the future has in store for you. ;)

Are you still busy with your cardmaking and doing crafty type stuff?

Unfortunately can't stop to chat now, Soprano's is on, I'm addicted! Hope to chat again soon.

Take matey,

Leni x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hiya Leni hunny, I'm unexplained too....  my DP thinks I am anyway!  ;D 

Well my IF is fairly unexplained although after my first tx I got a bit more of an explanation - so maybe it doesn't count as unexplained any more.  I don't know.    Should I start a thread for tough shells?!!  ;D

So how are you Leni my buddy? 

All of a sudden I felt strangely drawn to this category in the diagnosis section, I've never looked on here before - I must have sensed you were hiding out here!  how wierd!

Hiya Laine, how are you?

Have you invented a special bubble bath for IF ladies yet?  One I can use in my next 2ww without panicking about essential oils...  Please do one and you could call it something coded like 'friends' folly' or  ;D and then we'd know it was for us but it wouldn't put your other clients off!! 

On the unexplained thing, I think it would be good if we start to think about questions we can ask the clinic that help to explain the unexplained.....maybe some others will see this and help us out. 

claire xx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Leni,

Me and DH have been told we have 'unexplained sub-fertility'.  Its nice to know there is nothing majorly wrong but just as frustrating isn't it.  We feel better now we have taken slight control of the situation by getting help and treatment but its still the unknown that feel so unfair!

We are gonna try are 2nd attempt at IUI in December.

Good luck

Nikita :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi girls,

I'm feeling fine, thanks for asking Claire. So you found me! ;D Got our follow up appt with the consultant on Monday. Hopefull we will be having another go at IVF sometime in after New Year. How are you doing?

This unexplained IF is very frustrating, it is good to know there is nothing major wrong but annoying that 'we' can't get pg easily. ???

Good luck with your IUI in December Nikita. We felt better when tx started, it really does feel like you are beginning to take control of your body when you start on the drugs and stuff. Plus it helps you feel you at least have some chance of getting pg.

As for bubble baths and stuff, alot of the soaps and bath bombs contain only fragrance oils and not essential oils so they are fine to use whether you are pg or not. I don't make any liquid preparations yet, but hopefully will start to do them sometime in the future. I'm busy getting ready for a couple of Craft Fairs at the moment. Not had any sales from the website :( but hey, as long as people buy at the craft fairs that's fine.

As for questions to ask the consultant, I think that's a good idea. I'm going to ask about the 'fever' symptoms I had when my AF appeared 7 days before the 2ww was up! I felt like my body had rejected the embryos and my immune system had kicked in. Especially as one of my lymph nodes in my neck swelled up too...V odd! Will be interesting to see what he has to say about that, he'll probably think it's a load of cobblers!

Umm, that's about it for now, just going to have a lovely bath, with a bath bomb of course! and then I'm going to watch Shrek 2 on dvd. I treated myself to it on Friday. Also I will then be delighted by the washing up done in the dishwasher that arrived today...I feel so posh ;) Never had a dishwasher before!

Love to all
Leni x

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi girls,

As expected my consultant pooh poohed the idea of me having an 'immune' reaction to the embryos. He thought I was trying to say I'd got a pelvic infection from EC, and that's why I had a fever, not what I was saying at all...aaargh!

Anyway, the upshot is that with the next IVF my drugs will be upped as my response was fairly poor plus I will have to have more progesterone in the 2ww...grrreat! More pessaries, lovely NOT! But hopefully it will be worth it :)

By the way Claire, my hubby says never mind a thread for tough shells we should have one for tough nuts! ... I'm hoping that he means we have all been through so much that we must be tough nuts to deal with it...but I'm not sure LOL ;D

Leni x

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi girls,
i'm one of the 'unexplained'  ??? and after 6 years of tx and 1 ivf I've just learn't that I have tough shells and fluctuating FSH from 2.4 - 15.1 !!!. i'd love to know what to ask my consultant. I don't even know if i ovulate each month. i asked dr and he said yes if you have regular af, but i'm sure i read somewhere (prob on this wonderful site) that you can get af but not ov. I also get swollen glands a lot, I've had twice since ivf in October.
Leni - do u go to Lpool womems too. Maybe we have same consultant. Might explain our confusion ! ;D
bye for now
CaseyX 

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hiya Casey,

I do have my IVF at Liverpool Women's but I have the rest of my treatment at the Countess of Chester. My consultants there are Mr Haddad and Mr Wood. Only ever been to Liverpool Women's once and that was to have ET.

I don't seem to ovulate every month even though I have regular periods, well every 35 days. This wasn't always the case when I was younger though. Infact I first started looking into IF stuff because my periods occasionally went on for 6 weeks at a time! Eeeek. I had blood tests to see if I was ovulating. Not a clue what my levels are though. I can see now why I got such confusing readings when I was taking my Basal Body temp to see if I was ovulating, my temp never changed. Hardly surprising coz I never ovulated!!!

I only got swollen glands the evening after my AF started which was 7 days into my 2ww on my last IVF. I thought maybe my immune system had kicked in and rejected my embryos but my consultant thinks it is probably because I was run down. I dunno, I've been reading up about immunology but the tests are so expensive and maybe I'm clutching at straws!

So how do you find Liv Women's? Do they do acupuncture there? I'm thinking of trying that with my next go at IVF.

Anyway, I've waffled enough. Welcome to the thread. :)

Leni x

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Girls
We're unexplained too, and I've been doing loads of reading around the subject.
The ARGC and Lister Hospitals in London believe there IS an immunity issue with unexplained IF, and test for NK cells amoung other things.  They also give steroids to lower high levels of NK cells.  ^doc^
The embryologist at my clinic says we're just incompatible and if we had different partners, would already be parents!  ^evil^
Check out what Dr Beer has to say on the immune issues (see the New Humira thread)
Meantime, orange knickers and ICSI are keeping me going!!  ;D
LOL Caroline xx

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi everyone,
Leni- i know what you mean isn't it infuriating when you've had loads of tests but no-body explains the results except to say 'unexplained'. i read the threads on this site and some girls seem so much more clued up about things. i've no idea about LH levels or ov or progesterone etc. I've had a burst cyst and i suspect i've got some endo and i no my fsh is high, but my consultant Mr gazvani seems more interested in my age and dwindling chances of success.
Liverpool Womens is ok, nurses are lovely, but when i asked my consultant about acu he basically said it was a waste of time. I do have acu tho and chinese herbs, and my last af seemed 'normal' ie no pain or clots, so fingers crossed it's helping. I don't know whether to try another clinic, but LWH is only 20 mins away.

Anyway bye 4 now CaseyX   

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Casey, I know where you are coming from with your frustrations. As I said, I am under Countess of Chester but had my ET done at Liverpool Women's that's where they are storing our frosties Curly and Larry. I don't even know the bloomin' names of the drs! We are going to go for a full cycle again as I responded fairly poorly last time and don't want to pin all our hopes on just 2 frosties.

I would really like to have immunology testing before we have our next go at IVF but of course the cost of it has come into consideration, maybe if we have no luck with our next go we will do something about it. I hate that this whole thing ends up revolving around money. Our last IVF tx cost us just over £3000 and I know the next will cost a lot more as the consultant says I need more stims and more progesterone. It is very frustrating and I really don't want to have more failures before any more investigations are done, if they ever are! (investigations that is)

By the way I'm thinking of having acu. Where do you go? Can you recommend someone, do they understand about fertility 'issues' aaargh I hate that issues word! :p

Erm, enough from me for tonight I think. ;) This is turning into a really interesting discussion though. It's good to know that 'unexplained' doesn't mean you are odd!

Leni x

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi all you unexplained people.

Good to find some more just like DH and me.  Good to hear from you Laine.  It is good to see you are still helping out.

Well we are just about to embark on our first basting on Weds and I feel it has been a long four and half years to get here.

Well I hope this thread continues and we can all keep in touch.

Good to talk to you all

Ali

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi girls
Hows it going? I've had such a crap week.
Leni -  I'm also going full cycle next week with ICSI as we didn't get any frosties. My dr seems to think more investigations is a waste of time, and i suppose time is something i haven't really got. The chinese dr is see for herbs and acu is called Mrs Zhang in Liverpool, she says she is treating me for infetility, and i've looked up the herbs like dong quai and some others as a general tonic.
The acu is great, i feel so destressed afterwards. IM me if you want her tel no.
Ali good luck on 24/11
Hello to everyone else on this thread,
CaseyX

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi girls,

Good luck for Wednesday Ali.

Casey, ooo next week for ICSI. Hope all goes well. Thanks for the offer of the acu details. Think I may have found one a bit more local in Frodsham. I'm going to ring them later in the week. I really should book my last hypno session too being as I've already payed for it! I'm forever putting things off.

Love Leni x

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Did i say next week, imeant next year - wishful thinking or losing the plot? you decide
CaseyX

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just to throw a quick spanner in the works - did anyone see the article in the Times yesterday?

www.timesonline.co.uk/health

"Miracle treatment for miscarriage may harm women"

Talks all about NK cells and who treats for them, and whether the research is valid/treatment works.  Worth a read!

Lol Caroline xxx

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi

Good to have this thread.

I am unexplained too, ttc for four years.  I have even had NKC testing (fortunately as part of a research project through St Helier and I think Mr *******, so free!) and dont seem to have a problem with that either.  Fed up as feel after 3 failed ivf that there must be something wrong.

I think its very frustrating to be unexplained.  I know I wouldn't really wish to have a problem, but what I find worse is that because there is "no problem" even between treatments, you just hope that something will happen this month.

Just a comment on baths and bathing during the 2WW from one of the earlier posts.  Zita West's (one of the UK's leading midwifes and fertility treatment nurses) book advises to avoid baths (any anything else that makes life enjoyable) for the 2WW at least and if a positive result for the next few weeks.

Em

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.