Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Peter,
I have read previous posts where people with unexplained infertility are encouraged to go for IVF as it is very diagnostic.
However, after 2 failed attempts at IVF ( + four at IUI previously ), we are still "unexplained".
First IVF there was some fragementation of embryos but seconed attempt no fragmentation ( 2 x 7 cells at day 3 were put pack).
We get good fertilisation rates and no-one seems to be able to identify the problem. Can you offer any advise on what could be the problem ?
I wonder what the liklehood of futher IVF working in such a case is ?
Thanks for any advice,

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Eden,

IVF gives good information in terms of unexplained or idiopathic infertility in that it tells use whether or not fertilisation is taking place. This aspect is clearly OK for you so that is very positive. Your embryos sound to be good qaulity which is also very good news.

This puts you in the same position as thousands of people many of whom have successful cycles eventually. What you need to do is to remain positive and to discuss the possibility of different stimulation regimes and luteal support with your clinic. You may also be more successful with frozen embryo transfer if you manage to get any frozen embryos from your cycles.

In short there is no easy answer but do keep trying, I am sure that you will be successful in the end!!

Hope this helps!

Peter

Eden said:
Hello Peter,
I have read previous posts where people with unexplained infertility are encouraged to go for IVF as it is very diagnostic.
However, after 2 failed attempts at IVF ( + four at IUI previously ), we are still "unexplained".
First IVF there was some fragementation of embryos but seconed attempt no fragmentation ( 2 x 7 cells at day 3 were put pack).
We get good fertilisation rates and no-one seems to be able to identify the problem. Can you offer any advise on what could be the problem ?
I wonder what the liklehood of futher IVF working in such a case is ?
Thanks for any advice,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Peter,
Thanks for your email.
I have just a few further questions : why do you think
we may have more success with frozen embryos ?
( we have so far not frozen any as the remaining ones -
about 5 each time - were not as good as the ones that were put back in / only 4 cells on day 3 ).
Also - my clinic does not recommend changing my stimulation regime ( it was increased after first failed attempt - & they advise staying with this increased dosage. My response has always been OK).
You mention "luteal support" - my clinic does not recommend anything apart from same dose of cyclogest. Is there anything else that can be done ?

Thanks for your assistance,

Best wishes,

Eden

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

Eden said:
Dear Peter,
Thanks for your email.
I have just a few further questions : why do you think
we may have more success with frozen embryos ?
( we have so far not frozen any as the remaining ones -
about 5 each time - were not as good as the ones that were put back in / only 4 cells on day 3 ).

Natural FET cycles are sometimes (but not always) more succesful than stimulated cycles. Some clinics have very strict rules on what they freeze, resulting in very few embryos being frozen. I would ask your clinic if this is the case. You also need to ask if any of your embryos were kept beyond day 3 to see if they divided any further.

Also - my clinic does not recommend changing my stimulation regime ( it was increased after first failed attempt - & they advise staying with this increased dosage. My response has always been OK).

Ask them to justify this. Ask why they cannot give you a alternative stimulation as you already know that the old stimulation regime does not work for you. Please bear in mind that there is often a financial component to such decisions.

You mention "luteal support" - my clinic does not recommend anything apart from same dose of cyclogest. Is there anything else that can be done ?

You may do better on progesterone injections (gestone) rather than cyclogest pessaries. Cyclogest is often used simply for convenience.

In all of these things insist that your clinic gives you a full and clear explanation of their decisions for you.

Hope this helps!

Peter

Thanks for your assistance,

Best wishes,

Eden

1 - 4 of 4 Posts