Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon

I am 8 weeks pregnant with twins and am having a rough week with nausea, vomitting and dizzyness.  I was found to have some bacterial vaginosis and had high dose metronidazole which may have exacerbated the sickness.

I went into work on Tuesday morning but felt dreadful and had to come home.  Before I left I emailed my line managers explaining the situation and detailing what arrangement I was making to cancel comitments etc.  I got a call at home from my line manager on Tuesday asking how I was, was it JUST morning sickness and how long I would be off for?  I got another call yesterday to my ansaphone asking me to let her know how I was etc.  I appreciate the calls may be genuine but I feel a little pestered to say the least.  Not sure if I will get another today as it's not 'that time' yet.  The fact of the matter is the sickness isn't intentional and I don't have a crystal ball to say when I will be better.  I appreciate a line managers responsibility but I have no fixed comitment until a week tomorrow so it will not impinge on anyone elses workload.  I was under the impression from my management days you only had to report that you weren't fit for work and didn't have to go into intimate details.  I would appreciate your guidance on this.  Also, I work in a very small environment and my line manager sees nothing wrong in asking what the issues were in front of everyone.  I feel like I am being difficult if I ask to discuss in private.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Many thanks

Lolly X

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Hi

It's difficult to answer your question in some ways, cos I don't know what your company sickness procedure is.

It may be the procedure that the line managers call those who are off sick daily to see how they are?  Just a thought before I commence rambling!

If there is no such procedure then suggest when she next calls that you will update them either every other day or every day, that way the onus is on you to make the call and keep them uptodate and you can initiate the conversations rather than wondering when they will occur.  The thing with this is that you will have to honour what you say!

You are "allowed" to self certify for the first 5 working days of sickness and after that you will need a gp certificate.

I hate to tell you this but I was only pg with one and was sick up until 36 weeks pg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Hope you feel better and congrats!

Love Sue
xxxxx

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sue

Guess I will just have to toughen up.  Personally I would never have dreamt of calling any of my staff at home, I think it's very intrusive and out of order.  This manager took 7 months off for a hysterectomy two years ago and 8 months of last year with depression, wonder how she would have coped with daily calls. 

I'm back on Monday so will see how it goes. 

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.