Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two temporary fillings I need to get replaced with permanent fillings and I am very concerned as the silver ones used here in the U.S. contain mercury.  However, porcelain or gold fillings (the only option as a replacement since composite fillings have already been tried and removed due to being VERY sensitive to cold) are EXTREMELY expensive and not covered by insurance.

I am particularly concerned because I had a large silver filling put in around the time of my first (unplanned) pregnancy and miscarried later.  The dentist said that he wouldn't be surprised if the mercury in the filling caused the miscarriage!

I know that the most mercury is released at the time the silver filling is put in and that it then gradually leaches out into the body.  It can cause neurological problems and birth defects.

My dentist has suggested doing the larger filling in gold and the smaller one as a silver (amalgam) filling.  I am concerned about possible birth defects if I pursue this route, but I can't afford to pay $2000 for two fillings especially with the cost of IF treatments.

Has any research been done on whether silver metal fillings can affect an egg that's developing or actually cause birth defects.  I know that mercury does, but don't have a clue as to whether the amount in one filling would be enough to cause a problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi,
As a qualified dental nurse i have heard many horror stories re:amalgam.I have to say that most of these have been rubbish and a little scaremongering. The dentists I have worked for have used amalgam unless a patient particurlarly doesn't want it. I know many patients with huge and numerous fillings with no ill -effect.Speak to your own dentist for their opinion and make sure its from a medical not financial point of view !!
Good luck
Tj x

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi

I have heard about the fillings and the mercury in them causing miscarriages only recently.  Whilst  was pregnant thirteen yrs ago with my son I had to have eight fillings due to the sweet stuff I craved!  I never put the two together but he was born with two holes in his heart for which we were told was just one of those things as we had no family history.  So maybe who knows!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Like tjmac, I am also a dental nurse and during my training we were told of rumour and scaremongering reagrding amalgam fillings.
The reality is that amalgam is a very good material for filling large cavities and dentiosts here use it without any problems whatsoever, unless a patient expresses a wish to have some other material used instead.
You need to speak about this with your dental surgeon and maybe seek a 2nd opinion if you feel the need to regarding this. Is there another dentist locally to you who might be able to offer the mercury free fillings as part of your insurance cover or are there any dental teaching hospitals close by, as they might be able to help you with this question?

Best Of Luck
Chick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dear Broken Wing
I have in the past received quite a few requests for blood mercury in my lab because people were scared that they were getting mercury poisoning from amalgams.  I'd like to tell you, that from my experience there is no evidence to suggest that mercury is released in sufficient quantities to cause harm and a lot of it is scaremongering. I suspect that your dentist is just trying to make money out of you!
Quackers

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Glad to see these posts as I'm going to the dentist today (eeek!) for a filling.  I asked him when I went for my check up about amalgam and mercury leaching and he said the same, that there's no evidence to suspect that it would cause any problems when TTC.  He did say that if you were pregnant he might avoid it in the first trimester, but that was more to do with avoiding dental surgery at all in the first trimester. 
He said he would give me white ones instead if I insisted but said they contain plastics and no one really knows the effects of those..... the only thing which wouldn't react at all would be gold.

I'm getting amalgam.  Marilyn Glenville has alot to answer for! 

wish me luck, I hate fillings!!!
Claire x

·
Registered
604 Posts
The dentist I used to work with was happy to give amalgam fillings after the first trimester, allbeit small ones. He wasn't keen on the idea of giving local anaesthetic in the first trimester, particularly those that contain adrenaline.
The things is, the risk is so small and practice so safe, that the likihood of anything ontoward happening as a result of having a amalgam filling is tiny.

Chick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that the dental industry has long maintained that silver amalgam fillings are safe. My dentist was not the one who initally recommended a gold filling -- he was perfectly willing to put in a silver filling. I'm the one who inquired about them due to concerns about mercury.

Since I've now confirmed pregnancy, I'm unwilling to take the risk, no matter how small. Here in the U.S. there are continuing concerns about mercury contamination, particularly in my state, Michigan, which has some of the highest mercury levels in the country.

I've decided to ask my dentist to replace my temporary filling with a new temporary filling and replace it with a permanent one (probably silver) once I have given birth.

Below is a link to a very interesting research paper by the Environmental Working Group that links mercury exposure in pregnancy to Autism. I'm just not willing to risk it.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/autism/execsumm.php

:) This post contains unconfirmed links/information and readers are reminded that
FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts