Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I use a microwave steriliser and this morning emptied it in time for the second feed of the day. I also washed out the bottle ready for sterilising. I have just realised I used the unsterilised one to feed k...who will be 4m next week. :mad:

the first feed was 7.10am and this one 10.20 the bottle and teat had been rinsed out with tap water.

whats the worst that could happen especially if there was some formula remaining in it from earlier?

thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
Don't worry too much hun...i did all sorts of things like that when molly was tiny......did you wash the bottle in hot water??  i always used to wash Mollys in really hot soapy water, rinse and then sterilise.....if you have washed it in hot water, i am sure that will be fine  ^hugme^

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks I think it was cold-warm as it was only the first rinse as it were and there generally isnt hot water this time of the day...

its ready made formula if that makes a diference- heck knows what I would have done wrong if I had to make it up myself

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Some people argue that we in fact over sterilise, and that its the reason for a rise in levels of poor immunity to bugs/infections etc.

Im sure bubs will be fine ;)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks tony....I remember now my sister was advised she didnt even need to sterilise after a couple of months as she lived on a farm or something and the baby was going to be in contact with worse germs than an unsterilised bottle would bring.

I guess I am most concerned about the possibility of remaining formula....

·
Registered
591 Posts
Tony said:
Some people argue that we in fact over sterilise, and that its the reason for a rise in levels of poor immunity to bugs/infections etc.

Im sure bubs will be fine ;)
I do agree Tony.......I stopped sterilising when Molly was about 5 and half months old....she was rolling around the floor and putting eveything that would stand still long enough in her mouth....it did seem pointless. I just washed her bottles in really, really hot water and made sure they were rinsed well.....

EBW1969 said:
thanks tony....I remember now my sister was advised she didnt even need to sterilise after a couple of months as she lived on a farm or something and the baby was going to be in contact with worse germs than an unsterilised bottle would bring.

I guess I am most concerned about the possibility of remaining formula....
I am sure she will be ok chick ^hugme^ If the bottle was even just rinsed, it would have got rid of most of it my lovely....Katie is soooooo gorgeous ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
guess worst would be a bit of an upset tummy but think she will be fine.  Ready made sits in the cartons for ages, and the bottle was rinsed so I'd guess you got it out

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Most of Europe don't even sterilise unless the baby was prem, I really wouldn't worry hun.

Bev xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Was just going to post what Bev said. I know they don't bother in France. I'm half French and when we first visited family with Henry they wondered what on earth I was doing when I started sterilising bottles  ::)

So long as you feel the bottle was clean then I am sure it's absolutely fine. If you washed it out ready for sterilising then it would be properly clean which will be fine. Like the Clare says, the worst that will happen will be a tummy upset but I suspect that will be highly unlikely given the bottle was washed ready for sterilising.

Stop worrying and go enjoy the sunshine  ;)

S xxxx

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all

she is already putting anything she can find in her mouth so I am guessing that would be worse ;D I remember telling my friend off for not letting her child play outside aged 2 arguing he needed exposure to dirt to help with immunity.  Also I am a little wary of all these anti-bac cleaners... dont they kill good bacteria too?

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Jo I probably shouldn't tell you this in case some one calls social services  ;D but a couple of weeks ago I was out with William in the carrier walking Oscar our dog. I stopped in the middle of a field and sat on an old tree stump just admiring the view and Oscar was running about in his usual naughty way, eating twigs and licking cow poo  :-\

I looked down to reposition William's shoe and when I looked up Oscar was licking William's hand - with his cow poo tongue  :-[ :( :'(

I was so upset.

William was fine!

No CJD here ..... yet!!! So what I'm trying to say is I'm sure Kate will be fine  ;)

Moo!

B x :-*

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wont begin to tell you then the tale my mum tells everyone..ok I will

When I was 3 I proudly came in to tell her that I had eaten a currant out of the rabbit hutch.....Was gonna say it didnt do me any harm but others may disagree.... :)

Shelley.  As soon as the postie has been (hopefully with dps birthday pressie) I am going out in the sun....

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Remember when we used to see white dog poo??

Well, I actually picked a piece up, and waved it around in my dad's face, asking what it was!!  :-[ :-[ Think I was about 4 at the time....

I'm sure K will be fine. Generally, if you're going to get 'food poisoning', it will show up a few hours after the dodgy meal. I'm sure if K was going to be poorly, she would be by now.  ;)

I had every intention of stopping the sterilising when C got to 6mths but I'm not sure I trust DH's washing techniques!!  ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
kitten1 said:
Generally, if you're going to get 'food poisoning', it will show up a few hours after the dodgy meal.
Sorry to disagree here but most food poisoning bacteria take 24-48 hours to work through the system and actually make you ill. That's why it can be quite hard to work out where it came from as you need to think back a day or two.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
The incubation period is different for different bacteria. Salmonella is defo 24 - 48 hours, some bacteria longer, others shorter.

http://www.hart.gov.uk/index/business/health_safety/food_safety/food_poisoning_information.htm

It can also depend on your 'constitution', I suppose!! I was always told I have a cast iron stomach!! ;D ;D

/links

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Yeah I know it differs hence saying 'most'. Most people think food poisoning is instant whereas in the majority of cases it isn't.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Benjamin regularly helps himself to the cat food. ::) He's even worked out how to move the barrier I put up to stop him. Honestly, he hasn't started purring or licking his bum yet (more's the pity - it'd save me a few quid in baby wipes that's for sure).
I am sure, at 4 months, one unsterilised bottle won't do any harm at all. I once read (on FF I am sure) one reason the UK is so hot on sterilisation was because there had been an increase in poorly babies due to germs caught in homes that are, shall we say, inhabited by less than clean people.

C~x

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
superstar84 said:
I wanted to add my little bit.

My Nan let her dog lick out a bowl that had some pudding in for Jack a few weeks back, she put the spoon in the dish, when Jack was on her knee he managed to get the spoon and put it in his mouth. I was obviously going crazy at this point, but he's still here to tell the tale, nothing bad happened at all.

We let him crawl on the carpets at my Nan's which are hoovered about twice a week, you've got to eat a peck of muck before you die she reckons!

Sades
xx
Is hoovering twice a week bad? :-[

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Caz said:
Benjamin regularly helps himself to the cat food. ::) He's even worked out how to move the barrier I put up to stop him. Honestly, he hasn't started purring or licking his bum yet (more's the pity - it'd save me a few quid in baby wipes that's for sure).
C~x
^roflmao^ ^roflmao^

1 - 19 of 19 Posts