Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just booked DS1's pre-school jabs for monday  :(. Just wondered what others said to their LOs before this as obviously they are so much older and more aware than when they have all the baby jabs.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
I said nothing at all until we got in the room or she'd have freaked out totally. I just took her to see 'the doctor' armed with chocolate buttons for after the event. Thankfully she forgave me (probably due to the buttons!)  ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slinkyfish said:
I said nothing at all until we got in the room or she'd have freaked out totally. I just took her to see 'the doctor' armed with chocolate buttons for after the event. Thankfully she forgave me (probably due to the buttons!) ;)
;D ;D ;D
DS1 is the sort of boy that likes explanations for things and doesn't miss a trick. I want to tell him something the morning of the appointment but not totally freak him out ^scared^

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I too have an appointment on Monday morning to take DD for her MMR and pre school boosters and DREADING it ^eyes^ ^eyes^

Not good with needles myself and feel horrendous guilt at knowing what is going to happen and her not :'(  I thought about maybe telling her but decided she'd probably be scared by the time we got there and I don't want that. Defo going to bring sweets/choc with me and if she's brave treat her to a little toy aftwards. Really hope she's okay.

Sorry I can't help you, hope it goes okay for your DS ^hugme^

x

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
All the advice I've ever heard on this matter is to not tell your child until very close to it happening, otherwise they will likely just worry and work themselves up in anticipation. Certainly don't tell them the night before IMO... we all know how the mind can race and get all irrational when you're trying to sleep, even as an adult! 

Personally, I think I when it comes time for J's next shots I won't make a big deal of it... will just tell him we're off to get a check up (which he hates enough anyway!  ::) ) and that if he's a good boy we'll go get ice cream after.  Once we're there I will probs leave it to the doctor to explain what is happening and offer the answers/comfort/support he needs right then and there... and remind him lots about going to get ice cream! (He's very ice cream oriented just now!) That way it's all short and sweet (well, not so sweet but ykwim) and the choccy buttons/jelly beans/stickers or whatever can be brought out to distract him from any upset...

If your schedule permits, I do think planning something fun immediately afterwards can help swiftly get things back to normal and who knows, might help matters next time round if they know they have something fun to look forward to as well.

I'm sure it will bother you more than it does your dd  ;)  but good luck with it all.
Trip xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
We didn't tell B until we were in the room.  She would have freaked otherwise. 

A child at nursery I work at was told by her parents she was going for some sharp scratches to help stop her getting very poorly

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
My DS knows very well when you're up to something.  Nothing gets past him.  He's also a bit of a worrier, so I didn't tell him until we were going there - we were actually taking DD for one of her baby jabs.  I said maybe we'd get him a little injection too.  I think it had been so long since his baby jabs, he didn't really know what this meant (ie pain and crying!) so he took it in his stride.  I told him exactly what the injection was for.  At this point I honestly don't think he associated injections with pain necessarily, but I then told him he'd get some buttons if he sat nice and still.  I also told him DD was going to have some but because she was still a baby she might get a bit more upset about it, because she often got upset about alot of things, babies do that. 

When we got in the room, I asked the HV if she thought we could do his MMR at the same time.  I thought he was going to freak - she said pop out into the waiting room, and I'll do all the others who've booked and then come back and we'll do them both together.  We discussed who would go first, we thought maybe DS as DD was bound to cry and this might upset DS and stop him letting us do it.

This was at the doctor's surgery so we went back into the waiting room, it has a computer game thing where you give lots of babies jabs or they get spots and are poorly, so we played that for a while and I casually said, shall we give you your little injection so you don't get spots and get poorly?  He said yes, OK!
I'd brought buttons, and a lidded cup of milk (which sends him a bit away with the fairies) and I handed it to him the minute he had to sit on my knee to have his jab. 
No word of a lie, he didn't even FLINCH.

He's had a preschool booster since and the same happened.  Barely even noticed.
Couldn't believe it!  ::)

Buttons all round regardless of reaction!!

So you never know, he may be fine.  He'd cried when he had his baby injections, and he's so alert and aware of most things, I was stunned. 
He's since had to have blood tests a couple of times at the hospital, and yes he'd had a cold spray to numb him, but he actually giggled through the whole thing (and made the phlebotomist giggle!) and was totally un-bothered by the experience.

C x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
With ds1 I didn't say much at all but with dd1 we talked about it a few times in advance and I was casual about it but told her she was going to have scratchy medicine in her arm, it would sting for a moment, but would keep her well.

I can't say either way was better than the other - dd1 still didn't cotton on to what was going to happen and cried hysterically for almost an hour after (she is a bit of a drama queen at the best of times ;D)...................she couldn't even eat the chocolate buttons I offered her she was so distraught. Ds1 cried after but was over it much quicker though that's more to do with his personality than anything, the only thing was he freaked if we went near the room he had it done in after.

Chux xx

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's D-day tomorrow. The plan is a quick chat over breakfast re. need to see the nurse to have some medicine to keep him well when he starts school next year. Won't discuss method of administration at this point  ;). We will be armed with chocolate buttons and then a trip Toys r us if he's a brave boy, especially as he's just won £25 on his premium bonds  :). And he's only got 100. Not a bad return  ;).
Angelmoon - Hope all goes well for DD xx

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm please to say DS1 was a little star  :). He didn't even flinch and even shared his chocolate buttons with the very lovely nurse  ;D.
We are vaccination free now for another 2 months and then it's DS2's turn again  ::)

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Well done all!  :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Molly had hers done on Monday and was an absolute star! She twigged in the morning that she was going to the doctors for injections (well done Daddy!) but she didn't even cry - with either of the jabs!

Sooooooo incredibly proud, I on the other hand thought I was going to throw up I was that nervous haha!! xx

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well done to your DD too  :)
I too was shaking like a leaf  ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts