Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peter.. I am new here. Hope everybody is doing well. My husband and I live in Canada. I am 32 and he is 40. He had a vasectomy reversal done a month ago and everything seems ok with him. My question is about sperm ^sperm^

I took a look at his semen under the microscope and found a lot of little things that look like 'comas' (,,,,,,). I am not 100% sure if what I saw was dead sperm. his vasectomy was 11 years old, so I believe that there is a lot of stuff that needs to come out, right? I can almost swear that I saw one of these "comas" moving really fast. I looked and looked again and again and again and that little thing was moving really fast to the right of the slide. Does it make any sense? I have a science major and know how to use a microscope, but it was my first time looking at semen. Please could you give me some explanation about how sperm looks like under the microscope? The little "comas" glow sometimes.

I know sperm takes about 72 days to mature, so could it be possible to see one swimming already or am I going crazy?

Do you know of any site on the internet with real pictures of sperm that you could refer to me, so I could compare to what I am seeing?

Is it true that pregnancies that occur one or two months after VR are not safe, because the sperm was produced under pressure and that can cause abnormalities to the baby?

Wow.. I am sorry I asked so many questions. I really hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks so much.
Marcelle

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

Marcelle said:
Hi Peter.. I am new here. Hope everybody is doing well. My husband and I live in Canada.

Great place! I visit Toronto once a month (SARS willing!) and we might move to Canada later on this year.

I am 32 and he is 40. He had a vasectomy reversal done a month ago and everything seems ok with him. My question is about sperm ^sperm^

I took a look at his semen under the microscope and found a lot of little things that look like 'comas' (,,,,,,). I am not 100% sure if what I saw was dead sperm. his vasectomy was 11 years old, so I believe that there is a lot of stuff that needs to come out, right?

No, sperm produced are re-absorbed if they are not ejaculated.

I can almost swear that I saw one of these "comas" moving really fast.

Quite possibly.

I looked and looked again and again and again and that little thing was moving really fast to the right of the slide. Does it make any sense?

Yes, it all sounds very promising

I have a science major and know how to use a microscope, but it was my first time looking at semen. Please could you give me some explanation about how sperm looks like under the microscope? The little "comas" glow sometimes.

This sounds like a phase contrast microscope which is usaully used to look at sperm. It makes them look as though they are glowing.

I know sperm takes about 72 days to mature, so could it be possible to see one swimming already or am I going crazy?

No, it was produced and matured just prior to the reversal.

Do you know of any site on the internet with real pictures of sperm that you could refer to me, so I could compare to what I am seeing?

Have a look at www.ivf.net

Is it true that pregnancies that occur one or two months after VR are not safe, because the sperm was produced under pressure and that can cause abnormalities to the baby?

No

Wow.. I am sorry I asked so many questions. I really hope to hear from you soon.

That's OK. Hope this helps!

Peter

Thanks so much.
Marcelle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for eplying Peter, I really appreciate that. And welcome to Canada. It sure is a nice country. I am actually from Brazil and live here for 4 years now. I am just about to become a Canadian Citizen. My husband is a Canadian.

But anyway.. thanks again for being so kind replying to my message.

Hope you have a great week.
Thanks again.

Marcelle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts