Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
About 4 years ago I had a vasectomy as at the time my wife and I did not wish to have children. Unfortunately my wife and I parted company. I have now met somebody I would love to have children with. So I need to have a reversal, we don't have the money to pay for it privately. So is it possible on the NHS and if so what criteria do we have to meet?
Any advise would be really great as having children together would be the iceing on the cake.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Hi there :)

I am sorry I can't answer your question but noticed that this is your first post so wanted to say "Welcome to FF" :)

I am sure someone will be able to answer for you before long :)

All the best
Jennifer

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hi,

I dont know for sure but I imagin if NEITHER of you have any children of your own, the chances will be you will be able to get it reversed at some point.
good luck

Katy. xxx

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi there

Not sure of your exact situation, but in my case, my husband wasn't able to get a vasectomy reversal on the NHS - he has two children with his ex, I don't have any.

I'm not sure whether the "postcode lottery" that affects IVF would apply here.

I do hope you find a sympathetic doctor / NHS trust and manage to get the reversal. My husband's two reversal ops didn't work fully - his count is low - but his vasectomy was a lot longer ago. The sooner you have it done after the original op, the better your chances are.

All the best  :)

Rach

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello

My husband is 33 and had a reversal about four months ago, as he found himself in a similar situation to you.
We had to go private, and managed to scrape together the £1500 needed.  When he first went to his Dr and asked about it we were told that the only way the operation would be done on the NHS was if he had a child and that child had since died.  I'm sorry, as that really isn't a nice thing to be told.  We live in the South of England so I don't know if the criteia varies as to the region you live in.
He had the op done at Bupa in Southampton, with a consultant called Mr Smart, who is the best in our area, and we are about to have his sample tested now to see if it has been a success.
All I can suggest is that you go and speak to your Dr, hopefully he/she will be sympathetic like his was and can give you all the imformation you need.
I know its a lot of money to find, and it is not guaranteed to be a success, so perhaps if you can't go NHS ask if there is any other treatment that you could try instead, that is avaliable on the NHS.
I don't know if that will be any help to you, but good luck and I hope to manage to sort something out.
:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
My hubby had his reversal op 5 years ago.
He was sent to the NHS but sadly didn't feel comfortable with the surgeon in Wolverhampton so we opted to get it done privately.
He went to see a Mike Foster who works at the Littel Aston BUPA Hospital in Sutton Coldfield.
He did an excellent job and although we have sadly failed 2 ICSI cycles in the last 12 months we have been told his count is very good considering he has had a vasectomy and a reversal. In fact some of his samples have been good enough for IUI and IVF.
His vasectomy was done around 20 years ago after his second daughter was born.

However we were not entitled to NHS fertility treatment because he has grown up children so we have had to find the £7000 for 2 cycles.
I do not have any children YET !!!

Good Luck ;)
Sarah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.