Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i recently had a vasectomy in june and to be truthful have regretted it the day i had it done, but i was wondering how long it actually takes for the sperm to disapear after the vasectomy do you think i will still have sperm left.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi,

I'm no expert but I guess after the vasectomy you Had to produce samples to make sure it had worked? I guess if these came back okay then it did.

However, all is not lost. As I'm sure you know you can have a reversal or a procedure called PESA, where they obtain sperm from the epididymis. This (PESA) is quite a common procedure for men who have had vasectomies and the decide they want more children. In fact our consultant prefers this procedure to a reversal - i.e. success rates.

Please do not give up hope. Why not see your GP to discuss your concerns and see what he suggests as next step.

Have a look around the rests of the posts on this thread. There are several others in a similar situation.

Best of luck,

Natalie x

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi - I agree with Nat.

My dh had a vasectomy 12 yrs ago. When we visited a urologist about a reversal he suggested that it would not be the best method of obtaining sperm due to the length of time since the op & the expected build up of scar tissue. Success rates decrease after 10 yrs - how long since yours ?

As Nat said - PESA was discussed as our option following FSH tests with revelead that my dh still produces sperm but it just had no way of getting out ! These are hormone tests basically. FSH less than 10 & our consultant was prepared to go ahead.

In PESA they use a fine glass needle to extract sperm directly from the epidymis. In our case it was a success & we now have some sperm to start tx in the New Year.

Reversal is not the only option so see your urologist & put your mind at ease.

Good luck

Buddug x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts