Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my girlfriend is a vegetarian and has been told to avoid soft cheese and eggs has anyone got some advice on good to eat, not good to eat things. Shes hard to cook for as she dosn't eat fish either?
Cheers and good luck to you all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Gato
I'm not a vege, but eat a lot of vege food!  It's good to eat lots of protein rich things like pulses, chickpeas, beans etc.  Warm nourishing food is best, so mild lentil curries and stews.  Hard cheese like cheddar is fine.  And it's only undercooked eggs that could cause  a problem so an omlette would be fine too.
Happy cooking and good luck for a successful tx!
KPx

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Gato,

I'm veggie and like your girlfriend I don't eat fish.  Like Kaypea says beans and pulses are a really good source of protein.  I've been drinking skimmed milk during cycling for the protein and having a hard boiled egg most days.  Nuts are also a good source of protein and brazil nuts have the extra bonus of having lots of selenium - good for  sperm (for you!) and for thickening the womb lining (for her!) 

You can also buy soya based products like soya mince although it is recommended that you don't eat too many portions of these a week (not over 3) because soya is a source of phytoestrogen and may effect how she reacts to IVF drugs.  There are also loads of Quorn products available e.g sausages, burgers, chicken style pieces, mince etc.  Quorn is made from mushroom roots and is high in protein and low in fat.  Again I personally wouldn't eat too many portions of these a week mainly because of all the ingredients that go into making them.  Houmous is made from chick peas and is a good source of protein (and is lovely IMHO!).  Cheeses and cheese sauces are good too.

Good luck with the treatment
xx   

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for all your advice i'm just trying to be as cautious as poss. Will cook loads of good veggie food for her, did a chickpea and cannelini bean curry last night and will make some soup too
thanks .

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts