Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'd be really grateful to hear your thoughts on this - I've been a vegetarian since I was 12 (although I started eating fish a few years ago) and have no desire to start eating meat whatsoever. Last year I had two failed ICSI cycles, the second one resulting in 4 frosties.

I started preparing for a FET a month ago but this has been abandoned because of my thin womb lining (6.5mm). During the full cycles the lining was 8 mm and 8.5 mm.

My husband has started to push me to eat meat and I don't know what to do. If there was any evidence that suggested it would be beneficial I would, but I'm not aware of any!

Whilst I try to eat a balanced diet I'm afraid I'm very partial to chocolate and sweet stuff, although I'm not overweight.

Is it worth a try? My decision to not eat meat is based on principle and the thought of eating it reduces me to tears. But a baby is much more important - any thoughts gratefully received!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi you
At my clinic they advise to consume decent amounts of protein - but I usually just drink lots of milk simply because i am not a great fan of meats.
I amsure there are supplements you could take and high protein drinks etc. I think you would do more harm to yourself by starting to do something that will make you miserable.
M

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
If eating meat is going to cause you stress and anxiety then I would say no - as stress will not help your treatment at all.

I'm no nutritionist or anything but aren't pulses, fish and eggs high in protein?

I would ask your clinic for their opinion as to whether they feel not eating meat has had any effect on your cycles, do it when your husband is there too so you can both be reassured.

I'm sure you're not the first vegetarian to go through ICSI or get pregnant and I doubt that is your vegetarianism that has resulted in the two ICSI failures - sadly it boils down to a numbers game a lot of the time.

Best of luck Miuccia ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Mookie

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been a strict vegetarian for about 20 years and certainly will not start eating meat again.
I take iron everyday though because my doctor told me to after a blood test which was done as part of the initial fertility checks.A month ago I also started to take a vegetarian multi vit aimed at pregnant women which I bought from Boots (Pregnacare I think-but the preconception formula)
I have used Menopur though and I know that it is not vegetarian but like a lot of drugs  I don't think there is a vegetarian equivalent

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hi

I gave up meat when I was 9 and gave up fish when I was 14.

I have considered eating it again at times and have wondered if it would help but to be honest I don't really think it would make much difference. Who knows if giving up meat during my formative years has affected my reproductive system - I suppose it is possible but too late now to worry about!!

I eat a balanced diet and take pregnacare so feel I am doing as much as I can.

Good luck

Nicky x

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello Ladies

I have seen a dietician and also an accupunturist who told me the following, but remember this was related to my situation and diet not anyone elses, we are all different:

I was vegetarian and had PCOS.

They said I had very low energy due to my diet which was not organic enough and was full of the pumped hormones often put in to produce today.  They also said that my polcystic ovaries would not be helped by my diet and could to some extent have helped cause it.  They said I should try to eat small amount of organic chicken and some fish each week.  They also said I needed to warm up my diet and eat less cold foods and instead as this was affecting hormones in my system and that they were not being stablised sufficiently. 

I took on board the fish comments and increased intake as I always had a bit, I also warmed up my diet and ate more soups, and lentils and more organic stuff.  I avoided cheese also which is apparently of no nutritional use whatsoever and apparently neither is cow's milk (rice milk was recommended) Calcuim is better obtained from other sources.

I stuck to this diet for a few months and I did become pregnant.  I am not sure whether this was due to clomid or the diet or both,  I did feel better however and noticed my skin improved I lost a fair amount of excess weight whcih probably also helped me along a little.

I didn't eat chicken and I also felt distressed at the thought of doing so, but my point is, it is not just the meat factor but all sorts of other things about diet which I believe can (not always) but often can affect someones' fertility.  I felt it was worth trying anything to be honest and this diet was not hard to stick to plus i felt i was helping myself at the same time

Now I am pg i am eating chicken from time to time, I don't feel wonderfully happy aobut it, but just seem to feel my body wants it which i never have before.  However if you are a really clever veggie and know what you are doing you shoulnd't need to eat it really.

Good luck

Kitty4

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Oh sweetie, I think all veggies with fertility issues go through this.  I have been veggie 20 years with the exception of a brief spell four years ago when we started ttc - I cried and broke down and the thought of eating meat so tried fish oil capsules but after a week I was soooo unhappy I had to stop.
My point is we have to make decisions we can live with, I now try really really hard to make sure I cover all the aminoacids everyday, use organic milk and veg and take a number of vitamins.  It is a huge effort (and challenge) not to mention cost (expensive vits!) but I am confident I am doing everything I can.
As for Menopur not being veggie ^tmi^
Make a decision you can live with and remember a good veggie diet is far far better than a poor meat diet.
Lots of love
Lizi

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
hiya hun

Its a real tricky one, and as you feel it would completely freak you out eating meat, thus putting added on added strain, I wouldnt.

However, from my own point of view.  I was veggie for 15 years up until about 3 months ago.  I now eat fish and a little amount of chicken.  Over the years I have had different views given from doctors, nurses etc etc.  It was my choice to do everything in my power to increase my chances.  When not eating meat I could be pale, tired etc but I chose to continue but now took the bull by the horns and started eating it again.   I have actually taken to it quite well and I think thats the big thing, if you can't cope with it thats a big issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide xxx

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I've been a veggie for the past 12 years. 
I've also struggled with this issue, and so far, no Dr. has told to to start eating meat again, so I havent.  If they told me eating meat would help give me a baby, then I'd start eating chicken now!
I don't think I could ever eat Meat again - and certianly not Fish, but if needs be ....

I eat a healthy diet - I eat a range of vegetables (not organic) and eat mostly fresh foods.  I also have nuts, dairy, yoghurts, wholemeal bread, and I think on the whole, my diet is pretty healthy. 

My sister lives off McDonalds, and processed foods - she has a healthy daughter, my other sister also eats mostly processed foods, and is nearly 14 weeks preg - cna you tell me they have a better diet than I do?  Our fertility problems are entirely male factor, so perhaps I would feel differently if there was a problem with me. 

I use Santagon Pronatal, which is Vegetarian, and have had a blood test, which shows I'm not lacking in fibre/Iron/nutrients so, I'm happy to carry on being a veggie!

Marie xx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi

I am vegetarian also, I had no problems at all during my tx and when I became prg, I had a healthy 9months and gave birth to a healthy baby, the only thing I had to take were iron supplements near the end.

Good luck
SUZ
XXXX

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I've been a strict vegetarian as a matter of principle since the age of 12 and DH has been vegetarian since we married 10 years ago.  I have done alot of reading up on diet since ttc but I have seen no evidence anywhere that being vegetarian affects your chances (as long as you are following a healthy diet) and some experts advise you to keep meat consumption to a minimum or cut it out.  However, I did discover when we consulted a nutritional therapist that we might not be eating enough protein, and we have therefore made a conscious effort to include more items like beans, quinoa, nuts etc in our meals  as well as taking a range of nutritional supplements prescribed by the nutritional therapist (on the lines of the Foresight programme) including EFAs, so perhaps this might be a good first step for you to try before heading down the meat route.  Zita West's book  also has suggestions about supplements to take to help grow your womb lining. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Hiya ff's,

This is such a loaded question:

To eat meat of not to eat meat. ???

My DH is French- so I've had it. Him and his family have been encouraging, pushing, willing and now, outright begging me to eat meat.

(all with the best intention they love me and want to see us with a child)

They cannot understand the concept of being vegetarian at all and I don't even try. ::) 

I've actually developed a complex about it for the same reason as you hun, enough people telling you that you're doing something wrong eventually takes it's toll and rocks your confidence, but don't be put off --continue as eating as you feel fit and don't reduce yourself to make anyone else around you feel better. :-\

I've been eating chicken recently, and I feel awful for doing it and don't feel any better for it at all.  I've decided that it's just not for me, I'm meant to eat veggie!!

Don't let the doubt creep into your mind....you're doing just fine, ^rainbow^

Lots of  Love, Luck, and Best Wishes with your treatment

Gen xOx

^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Hi girls,
I have also been veggie for 7 years and DH for 4 years.  I recently introduced fish into our diets thinking it might help with our plight but so far no luck.  I also now take an omega oil supplement as I don't think we were getting enough of the EFA's, but on the whole, I think our diet is pretty healthy and have no plans to start eating meat again.  Of course I would have to reconsider if research showed it helped but like the rest of you, I wouldn't be happy eating it!  It seems a bit unfair that we all stick to a healthy veggie diet whereas many of the women out there that get pregnant are on a fast food diet!  good luck everyone!
Jxxx

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi

I am a veggie and so is my partner and have just become pregnant after my first attempt at IVF, we were told we would need ICSI but on the day the boy did his stuff! and we didn't.

we eat a quite healthy diet, lots of fruit and veg, nuts and pulses only soya milk, whilst ttc I have been having wild tuna once a week which I didn't enjoy morally but I will continue whilst pregnant. The only supplements we took were Pregnacare for me and a multivitamin for my partner. We both cut down on alcohol and I stopped altogether during treatment.

Its sooooo hard trying to do whats best whilst ttc but I agree with a previous poster that doing something so obviously stressful to you would probably do more harm than good and with no obvious benefit.

Good luck with what ever decision you make and I hope your partner will support you in your decision.

Heidi x

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Re EFAs, (mentioned above), this is just to say that if you are non-fish-eating vegetarian  and want to supplement with EFAs, you can get vegetarian EFA capsules which contain extracts of linseed/flaxseed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all so much for your thoughts. It seems I'm far from alone with this dilemma!

After reading everybody's comments and speaking to my consultant and accupuncturist, I've decided not to start eating meat again but rather improve my diet in other areas (I consider pizza to be a food group in itself and cannot go more than a few hours wothout chocolate!). Thankfully DH is OK with this and promises not to mention it again..........

So thank you all again and good luck with your treatmant/pregnancies/little ones.

Miuccia xxxxxxxxx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.