Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Our little one was born 7.5 weeks early, but good weight at 4lb 7oz.  He's 9 weeks tomorrow from real birth date and is ravenous.

He has 7oz every 4 hours and has started being hungry after 3 hours.  Have tried topping him up with water at 3  hours, took 3oz water, then a full feed an hour later, should I be worried?  Anyone else experienced such young hungry baby?

Oh bottle fed only, sma with gaiscon for reflux.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Possibly a growth spurt?  I found that dd got sudden hungry days from her actual age rather than her adjusted one - she was almost 4 weeks early.  I'd offer feeds more frequently for a day or so and see if it makes any difference.  Personally, I hadn't offered my dd water until this morning but as we're bf it might be different for us.  Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Sprinkles,

Personally I wouldn't give water unless it's really hot (and then not to a BF baby of this age) but be led by your LO and if he's hungry then feed him as he obviously needs it. They do have growth spurts where they need a lot more and this could be what is happening, plus he could be playing 'catch up' from being prem.

It's often better to look at what they are having over the course of a few days or even a week and get an average as they do have days where they drink more than others. As a rough guide it should average to be 2-2.5 times his weight but some will have more and some less.

How is his weight going?

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

He's doing really well with his weight.  Nurse said they generally put about an ounce a day on, but last weigh in he had put a full pound on in a week, where he was 8lb 9oz.  Due to be weighed again on Wednesday but I'm convinced he is near the 10lb weight now.  Its not fat either, he's longer and definately bigger all over.

He has been awake for most of today, had about 2-3 hours sleep since 7am, never been so awake.  Fingers crossed he'll have a feed at midnight and then go off for a good few hours.

I'm going with what he wants but am feeling bad because its not fitting the "text books".

Water I'm giving him is cooled boiled water and he's fair drinking it, and his nappy is showing it too.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Babies don't read textbooks - they won't always follow them so don't worry about that too much! x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
The water won't do him any harm, it's just that you don't want him filling up on that when it's calories he needs at this age.

Definitely don't feel bad about him not fitting text book as so few babies do, just you don't realise that until further down the track by which point you've already realised it doesn't matter!

Try not to focus too much on the numbers re. weight gain, so long as he is generally happy and contented, settling/sleeping well, producing wet and dirty nappies and gaining. What I have found is they all eventually settle on a line where they are happy but it may not be the one they are born on so need to cross a few lines to get there. My LO's all started on the top centiles but eventually settled somewhere between the 9th and 25th, meaning they dropped and crossed a fair few lines to get to their 'natural' line.

It sounds like he is doing great!

Chux xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts