Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

have discovered my husband has a very low sperm count, 4 million.  However he didn't tell me anything about the quality and mobility of his sperm.  Doctor believes hubbie has a hormone problem, and recommends hormone tablets, but i have read these are not too successful, and may cause more harm than good.  I am apsolutely in shock, i can't believe it, as i really want a baby so bad, and my hubbie sisters baby is due two weeks  later, i am going to be a wreak. 

Is there still a chance we can have a baby without assistance from the doc's?  Should we try for a year (i'm 26 hubbie 27) and then prehaps visit the doctors??????  What is not my next course of action.  PLEASE HELP i am so upset. 

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Tam you poor sweetie!
Hits you like a tone of bricks doesn't it?
I had tests really early on because of earlier medical history and when we were told I was OK and that DH's SA was normal we just plodded on of our own accord for 4 years - how I regret that now!
As it turned out the GP couldn't read test results and DH had very poor swimmers indeed (our consultant showed me a copy of the results our GP had thoughtfully photocopied - they said it was a common mistake I but I was livid!) It was the last thing we expected to hear.
My advice would be to get on an NHS waiting list now (always hoping they have one for your local authority) you can always defer or pull out later, and take your time making your mind up.
Thats one thing we did that I don't regret - while we were on the list we were able to increase the count from less than 1 million per mil to the dizzy heights of 16 with way better morphology and motility. (There's lots of advice around on how to do it, cold showers twice a day, vitamins, no beer :'( and the like)
Lots of love and hugs.
^Heart^
LiziBee (started first cycle of ICSI yesterday - there is still hope!)

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Just read your other post - NHS is a no go then.
I'd check your medical insurance and exert a little pester power especially if you think it is a blocked tube as the companies tend to be more generous with stuff like that.
Lots of long distance love
L.x

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Tam,

I would also advise to get checked now.

I had a mc in 97 so though I had all the time in the world to conceive but after 1 year ttc we went for tests and it appears that my DH has no sperm present in his SA so he has to try sperm retrieval. 

I have lost count of the amount of times over the past month I have thought if only I had tried sooner rather than putting it off (took me a while to get over the fear of having another m/c).

I would hate for that if only to happen to you so go and see about it now.

The initial tests should be covered with your doc, bloods, SA etc...  And if the worst happens and you have to go for IVF (I really hope you dint have to go down this route) then you could always consider egg sharing to help pay for your treatment.

If they manage to get some sperm from my DH I am going to egg share, not for financial reasons but so that I can stop some other woman who also deserves a child going through the agony my DH and I are going through at the moment.

Good luck and keep thinking positive.

Lol

Fin
^fairydust^

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Tam,

We found out from a home testing kit that there was something wrong with DHs sperm. Decided to do this as I am 34 and dh is 43 and after 6 months of trying with no luck(since we got married) thought it best to get checked out.

After a visit to the doctor and then another sample it was clear that we had problems. My dh has < 1million (they won't confirm how less) and 15% motility. Our only way forward is ICSI and we are due to have our first appointment this Thursday.

I'm so glad we didn't wait say a year, as most people recommend. You know the saying 'you've got to give it time' etc...Since being diagnosed, its taken us 4 months to get this far.

As everyone else has said, its worth getting checked out now. You have nothing to lose and if your only route is IVF and as Fin says, I hope it isn't, at least you can get things moving along as quickly as possible.

I know its really hard to take it all in at the moment and all I can say is that I have learnt so much from this site, by keeping in touch with some great people and sharing experiences. It hit me like a bolt from the blue. Never did I think (naively) that we would have problems. It takes a while to sink in and then from somewhere you get the strength to keep going and do all you can to get that one thing that is so important to us all.

Wishing you lots of luck and hang in there, ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Natalie xx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear everyone

Thank you for your message' and I am sorry you are also going through difficulties.

I have been reading the internet and discovered that vitamin c and ginseng are both great for sperm development.  Ginseng can apparantly increase sperm count and vitamin c helps to create lots of normal ones, this has given me a lot of hope, and we are going to try this for a little while, and prehaps to another testn in a couple of months to see if it has improved, if no joy we will both go to the doctors during the winter, as at the moment we are both busy with work, but winter time we have lots of holiday together, which we would be  a good time to go, and prehaps with the aid of these tablets give us the chance to get pregnant naturally.

Thank u again, and all the best Tam. :)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Tam,

Apparently pumpkins seeds are also good and no alcohol or coffee according to Marily Glenville's book to name but a few ways to aid male infertility.

Also I've heard organic too is good if you can afford to go down that route.

MG's supplements fertility plus are also meant to be good for both male and female, see other thread. I have just ordered some in prep for my 1st appointment tomorrow. Not cheap but worth a try.

Good luck for the next few months and lets hope you have BFP very soon.

Natalie xx ^fairydust^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts