Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I read an article http://www.thebridgecentre.co.uk/assets/Bridge%20-%20Preparing%20for%20IVF.pdf ( its a good article for all of us to read.)

In it, it says VIT A IS VITAL FOR EGG PRODUCTION.

Vit A I know shouldn't be taken in Pregnancy & it isn't in any of the vit tablets that most of us are taking.. Should we buy some separately or is it not good ??

I'm rather confused

Love Katy. xxxx

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I *think* the advice is that Vit A is best gained via your diet during pregnancy as large doses can cause problems for the baby's development and if you took a supplement then you would run the risk of an "overdose" (as you would be taking extra) and harming the baby.

I'm also think that there is a difference between where you get the Vit A from in your diet - vegetable or animal - hence the "no liver" advice.

I'm sure someone else knows more than me though!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I meant to take before and during stims ?? Then I would stop just before EC ?????????? anyone ??? its from zita west's book ??

Thanks  Katy. xxxxx

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Hi ya,

The advise is to limit retinol Vit A NOT to eliminate it.

There is a max intake for both Retinol and Betacarotene Vit A and these should be adhered during pregnancy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Women's Health Pregnancy

Use of vitamin A in pregnancy

A note on the use of vitamin A during pregnancy. The Department of Health recommends that pregnant women or those seeking to get pregnant should not take more than 2,664iu (800ug) of vitamin A daily. However, this does not apply to vitamin A found in beta carotene.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deficiency in Vitamin A can lead to a baby born with brain deformities, no eyes etc so it is vital that one is supplementing with it in some form or another.

see http://www.foresight-preconception.org.uk/vitamina/frames/leafletvita-nf.html

I am surprised that Zita West supplements don't have it in, most others do.

Personally I would continue supplementing throughout and not stop. By supplementing I mean either by tablet or diet or both. You need a good mix of vitamins and minerals to ensure your body is in tip top condition to cope with producing eggs and the tx. As Vit A is an antioxidant I would think this is vital for egg production as we have so many hazardous environments around us these days that are unavoidable and need all the help we can get!

Hope that helps.

Charlie xxx

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hello there!

The Marilyn Glenville Fertility Plus for Women have beta carotene in them. Beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A (retinol) by the body. While excessive amounts of vitamin A in supplement form can be toxic, the body will only convert as much vitamin A from beta-carotene as it needs. This feature makes beta-carotene a safe source of vitamin A.

The richest sources of beta-carotene are yellow, orange, and green leafy fruits and vegetables (such as carrots, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cantaloupe, and winter squash). In general, the greater the intensity of the color of the fruit or vegetable, the more beta-carotene it contains.

I have been drinking carrot juice - tastes a little bit "earthy" but OK!

Hope that this helps and good luck.
Jules
xx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I posted a separate thread about this the other day but just thought I'd add here...pomegranate juice contains 100% rda of folic acid, is an anti-oxident & contains vits A, C & E...so very good nutritionally - is great for fertility (preconception through pregnancy) & also excellent for the heart...and it tastes great too !!!

Good luck & take care ^reiki^
Natasha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.