Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't normally do this, but I consider this a public service announcement.

I really wish people in this circle would quit touting agnus castus.  This evil weed made me annovulatory (for the first time in many years) and caused a 49 day cycle that only ended due to 10 days of high dose progesterone pills to bring on menses.  It did the same to two of my friends.

My ob/gyn doctor STRONGLY recommends against it -- she says it has made many of her patients annovulatory and is particularly bad for anyone with PCOS because it increases LH, which is already elevated in PCOS.

I see women in this circle continuing to take it and wondering why they have problems.  The people on this site who tout it are doing many women a dissservice.
Anyone who ovulates normally should not be taking this herb because it will more than likely screw up your cycle. 
Of course, if you don't O on your own, you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thats a pretty scary post. many of us will now be fretting !!
Tj x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for posting this.  I have been taking Vitex for months now and never knew this.  Thankfully I had finished my pot of them yesterday and decided not to continue anymore anyway as they don't seem to be making any difference to me anyway but thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't mean to alarm anyone.  If you already take vitex and it works for you, then I wouldn't stop it just because some others have had bad effects.

I meant to draw attention to the fact that it doesn't work for everyone and it's wrong for herbalists (or even some docs) to recommend it as a panacea for infertility, when we really don't know how women will react to it.

As far as I'm concerned, it should come with a warning label.  However, if you've been tested and know you have HIGH estrogen and normal or low LH and don't ovulate, then it just might work for you and might be worth a try.  From my research, these are the types of women it works for.

It shouldn't be taken by women with PCOS, low estrogen, elevated LH or anyone on ANY type of infertility med, as it counteracts the effects of fertility meds.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
I had read that it was only really for women who are menopausal or with early menopause.  I must admit I was surprised by how many people talk about it on here. 

I just looked it up in my herbalists encyclopaedia and this is what it says:

Acts on the anterior pituitary gland, reducing FSH and increasing LSH.  Stimulates production of progestorone but reduces that of oestrogen. Has a corpus luteum deficiency. Alternative to HRT.

Uses: sysmptoms caused by excess FSH and low progesterone output.  Used as substitution therapy for primary and secondary corpus luteum deficiency......For symptoms of the menopause and of withdrawal on giving up the pill.  Not to be taken in the presence of progesterone drugs. "

Hope that's helpful
Claire x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Sorry typed that slightly wrong.  In the first para it should say 2 has a corpus luteum hormone effect"

Claire

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Louise

It's a book called Bartram's Encylopaedia of Herbal Medicine.  Mr Bartram is a fellow of the institute of herbal medicalists.

I'm not a herbalist or anything but I just use it to check whether I should or shouldn't be taking anything.  A friend who beat cancer lent it to me first - she didn't use it to self medicate either but just to check for contraindications.  It's a very comprehensive book, but some of it I don't understand fully, not being either a herbalist or a doctor!

Claire x

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hiya

Just on this I have personally found agnus castus to be the only thing that got me regulated BUT I did not just take it , it was under the guidance of a western herbalist who prescribed on the basis of my symptoms and my consultant diagnosis.

It is important that NOONE takes any herbal rememdy with western meds because they can act against each other UNLESS your consultant advises it.

Clare

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'd just like to back up what has already been said by a number of people here. If you're going to take herbs for whatever reason, then please do it under the guidance of a qualified herbalist. I'm a student herbalist at the moment and am taking Agnus Castus and Wild Yam, but even though I've got a small library of herbal books and have read up on these herbs fully, I still wouldn't take anything unless I'd had the go-ahead from my (qualified) herbalist.

The vast majority of modern pharmaceutical drugs have their origins in plants and herbs. Very few of us would take them without consulting a doctor first, and it really should be the same with the original plants. There are no wonder cures out there, herbal or otherwise, that will work for everyone. Herbs can have profound effects on your body and need to be treated respectfully. As several women here have found out, Agnus Castus can make a real, positive difference to fertility, but it can also have a negative effect if taken by someone whose condition wouldn't indicate that kind of treatment. Those women might well find there is another herb or combination of herbs out there that would be beneficial to them, but they'd be best to consult a herbalist before trying them out.

Please don't run scared from Agnus Castus, or herbs generally, but do make sure that what you plan to take is right for you before you go ahead and put it into your body.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:(

I havent been online for a while, but read this topic with much interest.
Call it coincidience, but my last few cycles have been really long, i have been taking angus castus but had recently stopped so my consultant could test me without it. My cycles have been about 36 - 38 days long, where as before they we around 31/32 days long, although this doesnt sound alot, a few days makes hell of a difference to ovulation and the fourteen days after this.....

I am not taking it at present and dont think i will be going back on it. One of its main advantages for me was it was really good for a skin condition that i have, so im still unsure... I am seeing a consultant first week of the new year, so i will let you all know any comments she has regarding this.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year To all

Mowgli

·
Registered
52 Posts
I took agnus castus for 4 months at 800mg and during my last two cycles I noticed I had surges of LH for several days when I shouldnt have, and it elongated my normally regular ish cycle. I took it to boost my chances but I have to agree with snagglepat its worth seeking proffesional advice as to whether this is a good herb to take.

I have been left in no doubt that it has a massive effect on hormones. (I stopped having painful breasts and my periods were extra light). But whether it is a good herb for everyone I very much doubt. I think its also worth considering that the dose the bottles is usually ment for women at the change of life, not younger women who could have some normal hormone levels.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi
I have noted the warnings on this thread re AC & have decided to stop taking it ! However I have 2 unopened bottles , free to a good home if anyone is interested ? Just IM me & I'll send them on
Love Dollyzx xx

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have never had regular periods so thought what the hell.... i gave it a month trial and fell pregnant straight away.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi
Not sure if i should carry on taking AC, i have only been taking it for about one month my period is a bit late so iam worried now incase it dont start.
i need to have this period as i have just had my appointment for IVF and they want to check on FSH levels thats why i took it in the first place to try to lower this FSH as when i had ivf yrs ago it was high then, i havent had it tested for yrs.
Dont know what to do now Take or not.
How long was you taking it for before you period was late.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I' d like to share my experience. Due to a very long detox and total change in my diet (I became a vegan) I noticed that I have had several non-ovulatory cycles. The one before my last one was 43 days. And my last one- 23! That's why I started taking Vitex and this month for the 1st time in months I had my ovulation along with fertile cervical mucus. I took 2 x3 pills (500 mg each).
I am  a bit worried after reading your posts but I will continue taking it until my period comes and keep you posted if it has had the same effect on me.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
i have just started taking this for second time around and am somewhat confused on what to do know.
I started taking it a few months prior to starting Icsi in 2003,and my LH levels where classed as normal,first time in years,and my 35 day cycle went to a nice 28 day.not bad considering i have pcos.
I was going to start the ANGUS CASTUS again,but not suer what people oppions know on this post,i searched for stuff on interenet and nothing apart from helping infertility has come up.
views needed please

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi LisaMarie

Most clinics will advise against taking any form of herbal remedy during treatment, this includes agnus castus...they would usually recommend you be clean of any herbal remedies for a few months prior to starting the treatment.

Some herbs can be very potent (agnus castus included) and can interfere and react with the fertility drugs, possibly being detrimental to the treatment.  Many herbs, because they're more widely available in places like Boots, are actually used incorrectly...its always best to discuss with a qualified herbalist as they will be able to advise exactly what you require, based on your medical history.

If you use the search option on this website...try using advanced search so only looking on Prenatal and Complementary therapies boards, you'll find countless posts discussing agnus castus, herbs, chinese medicine etc etc.

Good luck
Natasha ^reiki^

1 - 17 of 17 Posts