Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My twins are almost 9 months and though they take it in turns to be the awkward one, at the moment it is Freddie.  Sometimes he sleeps through but more often he wakes up once or twice a night and cries till I go in and put his dummy in.  If it is after 5 am the dummy doesn't do it and we take him into our bed (I know, I know! - but we don't want him waking his brother).

Harry sleeps through okay, or more likely he gets himself back to sleep. This could be because he sucks his thumb and can always find his thumb.

Now they are not super attached to their dummies so I wasn't bothered about weaning them off them yet, but this night waking is getting a bit much.  Any suggestions?

If we go cold turkey on the dummies how will it stop Freddie from crying for it in the night?  Surely he will still wake up and cry?  They can go to sleep without their dummies if they are tired enough, which makes me think he just wants reassurance rather than anything else.

any help appreciated

Alison

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Alison,

I think if you want to get rid of the dummies you just have to accept you may have a few bad nights but just go for it, perhaps when dh/dp isn't working the next day? You could do 'pat-shush' to calm Freddie down but again, you need to accept it may take a few nights. Alternatively you could put a couple of extra dummies in his cot so there's more chance of him finding one should he wake.

Good luck whatever you do!

Chux xx

·
Registered
479 Posts
i'd go cold turkey - it took my two about three nights to lose the addiction. but dont go back! a friend of mine - spurred on by the "ease" with which i did it - decided to to do the same thing - on the second night she gave in, and kicked herself the next day as she realised that actually he was better off without the dummy and now she needed to put him through the whole three nights again. She did it, anyway and he's off it and sleeping well.

Other thing is that i dont think you should move a baby becuase he might wake his sibling - i find it mostly doesnt happen and they either sleep through it or after waking will go back to sleep.

Having said that Sam woke at 3.15am this morning (new bedroom so things are in a slightly different position than he is used to) and yelled - i didnt go to him because i knew the cry was waking rather than pain etc. Well he woke his brother! When Jack yelled, Sammy was comforted that there was someone else in the room with him and went straight back to sleep..leaving Jack awake and playing with his two rocks (yes as in stones) for half an hour.

I figure that they are going to be doing this all their lives and really need to work it out between them!

A

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Ethan used to wake for dummies at night at around that age and I would have to nip in a few times in the night to give it to him. He soon got to an age when he could find it for himself though. Now what I do is put him to bed with one and then pop another 2 in by his head just before I go to bed. He sometimes wakes and cries out but I leave him to it and he finds one himself and then goes back to sleep.

Nicky x

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hiya

thanks for the replies - very interesting, especially the bit about waking his brother up and then being happy to go off to sleep!  Well Friday night we decided that if he cried we were going to leave him, so at 4am he woke up and cried, and he cried for about 20 minutes and then went off to sleep.  He didn't wake his brother and infact they both slept in till 7.45, which we were quite glad of as we both had colds.  Last night neither of them woke up till 7am.  I will have to talk over with DH about stopping the dummies.  I think it more he wants us to go in to see him and getting the dummy is  a bonus.  Maybe I will try first surrounding him with dummies like Nicky suggested.

thanks

Alison

1 - 5 of 5 Posts