Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken their LO's to the water baby sessions?
if so how did your LO get on?
just been looking it up and it looks great.. each lesson costs £9-12 so not the cheapest!
anyone any experiences of this?
thanks
alisha x

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Hi,

I didn't personally take my daughter but one of my post natal friends takes her little boy and says it is fab.  She also had an underwater pic taken of him swimming and there he is under the water swimming, eyes open and tongue sticking out... so cute. 

Karin

xxx 

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
We go to Aquababies, have done since Alec was 5 months I think. Its £10 a lesson and you buy them in chunks of 5 sessions. We have had little breaks in between where we have just gone to the local pool and practised the stuff they do in lessons, then signed up for the next stage.
Alec really really loves it.

Helen

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
We've just got back from our weekly waterbabies class and E is knocking out the zzzzzz's as I type ;D.

I would highly recommend it. I guess it's only ever going to be as good as the instructor and ours is fab but the structure of the course clearly demonstrates the ongoing development of the babies as they become more and more confident in the water. E shrieks with delight when we get poolside. As Karin says, the underwater swims are amazing but what's more important is they teach you and the babies safety as well - the correct way to place them on the side to get in and out, holding on to the poolside etc.

All of the babies in our class, even the ones that seemed uncertain initially now all seem to love it. As you say, it might not be the cheapest and I was concerned about that when I first signed up but personally, I don't regret the spend one bit and have just signed up for next term.

Lou
X

·
Registered
759 Posts
We used to take Hollie to water babies for a while.   I think as Aweeze says it down to how good the instructor is.   My DH went in the water with her and she was only about 4 or 5 months at the time.   When she used to get upset DH would move away from the group to try and comfort her but the instructor was always pushing him to carry on and telling him what to do.   The content of the classes was good it was just a shame about the pushy instructor.

She now goes to water swimmers classes which is cheaper at £7.25 a lesson, in the same pool as water babies used and the instructor is very easygoing and she loves it.   

There are lots of different companies doing very much the same thing and some of them do do the underwater photos too and quite often are cheaper than water babies.

Hope that doesn't come across really negative as i don't mean it to.  I think we were just unlucky with our instructor.

xx

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
it's good to know most of you have had good experiences with water babies.  we just signed up and start our first lesson this weds.  like you say, not the cheapest, but seems really great from what my nct friends have said xx

·
Registered
136 Posts
HI,

I started Hannah at Little Dippers at 11 months and we are now on the stage two course. It isn't cheap but we both really enjoy it and it's great to see Hannah so confident in the water.

There was an article in the news a while ago about a 2 year old who had attended these classes and it saved her life when she fell into a pool one day. She managed to get back to the side and hold on.

Have fun on Wednesday.

Lisa
x

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

i saw that article as well. . . really makes you think!

x

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi,

Thomas has been going to Aquability swimming classes for the last 6 weeks.  The methods are very similar to Water Babies, in that they get the babies going underwater from the first lesson.  There is also a strong emphasis on safety - e.g. at the end of each little activity we have to go to the side and get the baby to hold the rail and say "hold".  It's all about combining specific movements with word association.

We're also strongly advised to splash our baby in the bath every evening, again using the words we use at swimming ("ready, go"!)  Thomas now holds his breath and closes his eyes as soon as he hears "ready" ...!

Katy x

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just popping by..

ohh thanks for your replies.. oh they sound so good..
I've located a fairly nearby one for the waterbabies one .. would love to go to some mum and baby classes too... but I'm getting impatient with our local pool.. its been closed since we moved here and they've been fundraising for a roof for years.... they say its nearly finished but that's been the case for agaes now  ^bigbad^
reckon I'll give this a go though.. maybe she's a bit young? may wait till she's 3 months and start then when the mum and baby groups stop for the summer break ..as that'll give us something to do  :) but I'm wondering if like Katy says its word assoc and movements .. so she maybe to young..  ??? but websites say not.. how old is thomas? Lou how old was your LO?
tahnks ladies xx

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
my nct mates took their babies when they were around 8 weeks to waterbabies and are still going now at nearly a year!  must be cool :)  x

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
i take JP to aqua babies which is similar and does the word association thing (ready go etc) he started at about 12 weeks and was the youngest in the class - but he seems to be doing just as well as the others so i think the sooner the better personally  ;)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Alisha,

Thomas is now 7 months old, so he was about five and a half months when he started his classes.  However there was a 10-week old in the class last time, so I don't think there's a problem over being too young.

The only other thing you may need to think about is whether your baby has had his/her first three sets of injections (usually given at 2/3/4 months).  Some swimming teachers and/or pools insist that your baby has had the injections before being allowed in the pool.  As far as I know there is no medical reason why your baby is at risk if they swim before the injections, but it's probably best to check with your GP or HV to make sure.

Katy x

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi

Brody is nearly 3 and we have been doing Aquatot lessons since I was on maternity leave.  He loves the water and going under so hope your little ones really enjoys the lessons, i think they are a great thing, learning your child to love the water instead of hate it etc

keri xx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts