Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking for some tips or advise i have a 7 1/2 month old and would like to start weaning her off the breast but at the moment she is not taking to the bottle i have tried putting breast milk in the bottle and her Dad and Nan have also tried but she just likes to chomp on the teat. she will drink some from a cup but not much. Has anyone got any ideas.
Thank you
Sarah  :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Have you tried giving her a little breastfeed and then swapping to a bottle half way through the feed? Medela do a teat which they have to suck on to get milk out so it mimics breastfeeding better, rather than overwhelming them with milk. Good luck with it! x

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi

Although I breastfed for longer I had to find an alternative way my DD would take milk for when she went to nursery at 7 1/2 months when I returned to work.

I tried going straight to a diody cup but she hardly took any and mainly teethed on it. I then tried a Tommee Tippee Freeflow cup as she already drank water from it with her meals but she just wouldn't have any of it. I then tried Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature and Dr Brown bottles that my Sister lent me but I too found she wouldn't take to the bottle and just chomped on the teats.

Was getting a little desperate the closer starting nursery came and ended up noticing a First Years Breastflow bottle in the Mothercare catalogue. Although pricey as had to buy the next stage teats too I was willing to give them a go and DD took very easily to them. At first it had to be DH or Nanny as she would always want breast from me. But eventually she did take the occassional bottle from me when she was quite tired and just wanted milk. Seeing as I continued morning and evening feeds too her using this bottle didn't affect the way she fed from me either.

Since then I easily managed to switch her from the Breastflow bottle to the Tommee Tippee Freeflow cup when I weaned her off beastmilk completey and switched to cows milk at just over a year old.

Here is their website to give you more info on them http://www.breastflow.co.uk/

Hope this helps
Yxx

/links

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've just been through very similar with my 8.5 month old dd. I tried loads of different bottles and teats and she refused them all until I tried the First Years Breastflow bottle. It has a very similar action to breastfeeding as they have to suck and compress the teat to get anything out. I gradually switched one feed every couple of weeks from breast to bottle and now she has bottles morning and bedtime and the rest is from a doidy or tommy tippee cup.
Funnily enough though she will only take a bottle from me and refuses dad, nan's etc....she must just associate milk as coming from me in whatever form! :)
Amazon had the best deals on breast flow bottles when I was looking.
Good luck!
Xx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks for all your tips, went shopping for a bottle yesterday but couldn't find the breastflow anywhere so picked up a Nuk one instead and a stage 2 teat and gave it a go but the stage 2 teat came out to fast so tried the stage 1 which came with it and she seemed to know what to do with it straight away, she only took 1 ish ozs but its a start as she wouldn't even suck the others at all, i also tried again today and managed to get 3ozs it took a while as it made her a bit windy.
I have been using Aptamil 1 does any one know if i should be using the 1st milk till i finish breastfeeding
Thanks for your help
Sarah

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Well, some mums choose to breastfeed until their child is fully weaned and never move onto anything other than breastmilk, so I would think you could stay on the stage 1 milk as long as its enough for your daughter. x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts