Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi  :)

We are going on hol soon and when we come back I'm going to try and get matt off his dummy - its beginning to cause more hassles than it solves!  :-\ He'll be around 5 months

Anyone done this? How did they go about it and how long did there little one suffer for, lack of sleep wise. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Cheers me dears

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
At this age I think you are best just going cold turkey but once you make up your mind stick to your guns - if you back down after a bad night then it'll just send mixed messages. Hopefully he'll adapt well - I know Sallywags went cold turkey with her dd and didn't have much more than a few grizzles.

Good luck!

Chux xx

·
Registered
479 Posts
i did it staged from the during the day dummy first for a week and then the night time dummy cold turkey. 

The cold turkey thing will work just as well as my approach i reckon - but the most important thing is not to go back on it... Its just too confusing and upsetting for them!  I read somewhere that baby's memories for inanimate objects are about three days. so if you can stand the grizzling and complaining for three days you should be OK, we were.

Abby

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi

My two had dummies mainly for sleeping and in the car.  However, they seemed to be getting extremely attached to them so we decided one weekend that enough was enough and went cold turkey.

We had two very grizzly days, when it was taking 20mins for them to get off to sleep and then after that all seemed forgotten!  Well worth putting up with the short-term grief as now they manage just fine without them.  Aidan also had the habit of waking around 5am just because his dummy had fallen out so that has put a stop to that too!

I must admit I thought it would take much longer so was pleasantly surprised.

Go for it! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wow Lisa - well done......the children I used to childmind were still attached to theirs at the age of 4!!! Evelyn is just as clingy with her bedtime bear!!! Bet she'll be taking it to school with her!!!See you tomorrow!!

Go for cold turkey!!! Best of luck Outspan......

Krysia xxx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My LO loves his dummy, but we dont let him go to sleep with it.

My nephew aged 3/12 loves his, he has about 20 and knows everyone of them  ;D if he leaves ONE at his grans he cries till its back!( thank gowd they are only a few seconds away, but hes started nursey and WONT take them with him  :-\

sanjo x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts