Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've been starting to think about the fun of weaning and whilst we're going to start them on puree foods when the time comes, what sort of things are 'trendy' versus cheap and useable for food storage and eating and how much should I buy?

For example, I assume I will need 1 set of spoons per child.  How many bowls are needed? 1 each or more? How many feeding bowls, cups?  Are storage containers for the freezer a waste of money or an essential for twins seeing as I'll be freezing 2 portions in one to share out when feeding?

Thanks!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hi

I always have fed them from the same spoon as it is to much hastle trying to use two and the same food, at the end of the day they are going to share there germs anyway so why make things any harder :)

I have always bought my food in jars as just dont have the time to make it but the bowls I bought are tommy tippee ones and spoons from mothercare

If you are making your own food then look at maybe john lewis as they do good storage containers and you can get some very small round ones that are air tight clip down ones which I think would be good

I started my girls at 4mths even though they were 5wks early but take it real slow as at the beggining its just a taste of it at first and you will no when they want more and then you just keep gradually increase it, dont forget as you have twins they might not take to food at the same speed but dont worry and if you have one which is not too keen just keep trying a little tiny bit and he/she will get there

My two were very different and one loved food straight away but the other hated it but now they are both little piggies ;D

Enjoy your weaning this is when the muck really starts to come

God Bless
Sarah

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just a quickie - don't bother with the tiny trays of weaning cubes with lids, too small for twins past a month, go for the larger ones, Blooming Marvellous have two kinds I think.  I had some good coloured pots bought in packs of three from Sainsburys.  Once they began eating quite a lot (quickly in our case) I bought some packs of Avent containers that are for breast milk and weaning, two different sizes in each pack and I still use them for all their pre-cooked food (I bulk cook and freeze in big batches).  They are what I would recommend.  The Annabel Karmel books are good.  And we use her red spoons from Mothercare which are nice and soft.

Hope it goes well and they are good eaters.

Alice

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi, Ooh the joy's of weaning, I loved that time, seems so long ago now, my two now flick their food all over??!!

I bought really large rubber Ice Cube Trays from Ikea which was a better portion size for the 2 of them. 

I used tommie tippee spoons and used just the one between them and bought Asda dishes.

If you are doing your own puree's, I would recommend freezing portions of one flavour at first, rather than mixing flavours together, that way you can introduce a cube of something different and see how it goes.

My two loved Apple, Carrot, Parsnip and sweet potato as they're all quite sweet for their little taste buds.

Enjoy this time with them and don't worry too much if they don't like something, apparently a baby has to taste a flavour at least 20 times before they actually do like it or not  ^idiot^

Good Luck

Love Becca xxx

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
With DS I used the ikea trays, also little plastic pots from sainsburys, blue lids, i forget what they're called.

It's quite easy just to mash food at the table.. stuff you're cooking anyway .. carrots, sweet potatoes, banana, avocado - esp if you wean closer to the 6m they now recommend as they can manage chunks/self-feeding.

I wouldn't buy much stuff... plastic spoons are nice, but you don't need much else really..

One thing I used a lot was a water filter... for water for veg etc.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi Glitter,
I found the best idea was to use ice cube trays for freezing pureed veggies, and empty them into bags - great for once you start mixing them up a bit.
I also used a small thermos flask thing for holding food when I went out (one between 2 to start with). I always used one spoon too, and once they could hold a spoon, I'd put them food into a bowl each and 'help' them along with my own spoon. They became excellent at feeding themselves quite early.
Also, have you looked at Baby Led Weaning? I didn't do it as knew nothing about it, but a lot of people rave about it and it looks like a very good idea. Google it for more info....
Good Luck!
Jane
xxxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ladies :)

I thought the smaller boxes would be a total waste since we'll be doing 2 meals in one box.  I did think about non-baby boxes such as the Addis one in wilkos etc however don't I need to be able to sterilise the pots before food goes in them prior to freezing?

We already bulk cook up and have our own home made 'ready meals' so we're quite disciplined (well, I am ;)) at getting stuff out of the freezer!

Does any actually need a microwave for heating up food as we don't currently have one - we were intending to gently heat in a pan on the hob.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neither of us wanted to buy a microwave either ;) so it's as I thought with the hot spots.
We are going to have them eating the same food as we do (as long as I don't put the wrong kind of chilli into the dish!) and haven't yet fully decided on puree foods to give them something more interesting rather than just formula or do finger food and baby led.
The plus point for puree is that we can start that before they go to nursery so they are used to something different.  The downside to baby led is that I won't be able to do this before they start nursery as they're going in at 6 months although there is nothing stopping us from trying them at weekends or week day evening meals (they get all their meals at nursery if we wish and the menu is good, we checked!)

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Glitter,
All my friend babies who attend nursery eat really well, I think nurseries really encourage them to try lots of flavours and textures along with older children and it will be a plus for their weaning
xxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Like Jane, I froze my purees in ice-cube trays and decanted them into labelled bags.  Then I could mix and match for each meal; a cube of chicken, two different veg... etc.  I pureed fairly badly tbh - it was never a very even consistency for some reason, but this worked in my favour as Josh took to lumps very easily and was eating whole sausages by 7 months ;D

This time around I don't plan on doing much pureeing and am trying to find a book on baby-led weaning (there's lots on the net, but I'd rather have a book ^idiot^ )  I will start them off on the odd bit of mush that I can do at the table (banana, avocado etc) but basically give them finger food from the outset. 

As for microwaves - I seriously couldn't have weaned without one!

xx Clare

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My next question on ice cube trays....what size??  We have 2 or 3 and at least one of them is very small, pretty much melon ball size and I reckon this is too small for a portion.  I guess I'm looking at the standard to larger size trays?

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Larger ones are useful, but you can use whatever you have; just use two or three cubes instead of one!  I have a few 'novelty' ice cube trays, so Josh had puree shaped like elephants & fish ;D  I drew the line at the Ann Summer's willy shaped one lurking at the back of my cupboard though ::)

xx Clare

1 - 15 of 15 Posts