Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
well, at nearly 10 months old, I have got the strength and determination to put my foot down and stop the night feeds for thomas.  As Thomas hasnt been eating brilliantly due to teething pains, I decided to keep his 10pm feed as he goes to bed quite early so has a feed about 6/6.30pm ish.  Its been nearly two weeks now and he has done very well, but we cant stop him waking at 4/5 and then being really unsettled until 6am when i feed him and get him up ( his usual waking time) my hv said he will begin to eat more to compensate which doesnt seem to have happened -  we are both exhausted!!. 

My partner is still going in to settle him as Thomas goes mental if I go in, as he automatically expects milk.  We have come a long way as he was a regular snacker through the night but I am worrying I am now confusing him, with the 10 pm feed, should i be cutting this out so he knows bed time, no milk til morning or continue, and how can I help him sleep for longer so we dont get the 4 o clock antics, I keep thinking its hunger but it might just be resltessness due to his drive to get moving - constantly trying to crawl even when he can hardly lift his head up.

i am interested in any advice as I feel I have got this bf totally wrong, as i have always demand fed and its created lots of problems with thomas's sleeping, especailly as he often fell asleep feeding.

thanks in advance for any thoughts x lou

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
he well done for getting this far.  my twins were the same.  in the end, i stopped the 10.30pm feed alltogether.  They used to wake again in the middle of the night, and i'd feed them, then they'd go down 'till morning.  i used to go to bed at 10ish, and it meant i got more sleep that way.  though they were younger than yours (8sh months).  then after a bit they used to sleep through occasionally, so i took that as a sign they didnt really need feeding and settled them in other ways (got my mum to settle my daughter...bless her, while i worked on my son).

honestly, the very early morning antics with my son continues to this day.  these days its 5.30am.  we've moved to a very hot climate and i'm worried that he gets thirsty - god know i have to get up every night to get a drink.  so these days if he wakes in the middle of the night, i get my husband to give him a sippy cup with water.  if its closer to get up time, then i feed him, then put him back to bed 'till 7.  sometimes he yells/cries, but i leave him.  he'll either go back to sleep, or play/chat 'till get up time.

you havent got the b/f totally wrong by the way!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya
thanks for your reply.  thomas now has a cold so I feel I must relax the no milk rule until he gets a bit better, one or two nights shouldnt make too much difference, however, last night despite his cold he did really well, bed at 6.30pm, feed at 10 pm, slept until 5am! we had our first night of 6 hours sleep in one block,since he was born 10 months ago! wahoo, been like a different person today! dont hold out much hope for tonight though as he has hardly eaten today poor love, and not had good naps either.

I know I havent got bf wrong, just was having a down on myself moment,  - I guess it suits thomas as he is still eager to feed. 

thanks for your reassurance - - I think T is going to be an early bird until he is a teenager too!
love lou x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
no worries.  when my lot have colds (which isnt often - i blame the b/f! :)  ) i put vicks on their chests.  it helps keep the nasal passages clear.  you can get baby vicks if you think the normal stuff might be too strong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.