Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya -

Don't know if there's any info elsewhere on site about this - sorry if there is, I haven't looked as I don't have much time on line - Jessica is due a feed soon.

Not sure about this subject though and would appreciate any advice. Jessica is 15 weeks today, feeding 5 times a day and is going though the night on average 7 hours.

Her feeding during the day has changed in that she isn't taking as much on - still having some problems with the boob I had mastitis in. I know she is lazy on this one and doesn't latch on properly. If I break the suction and place her on again, she pushes my boob away and her head and latches on how she wants to. This becomes a bit of a battle.

I'm not sure if her feeding habits at the breast are changing because she is ready for foods. She is dribbling alot and biting me and other things. At first I thought she may be teething and still do but it has been suggested that this behaviour is also a sign that I should wean her.

I bought some baby rice last week but haven't opened it yet. If I introduce it, how often should I give it to her and how? I know that sounds silly but do I still use the bottle with a faster flowing teat or do i use a spoon and dish - ( ^stupid^)

Also, when can I start introducing soft food?

Best go - she's awake again!

Love Angexxxxxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Ange

For info on and signs of weaning log onto:

www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/*********/index.php?board=82;action=display;threadid=5851

www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/*********/index.php?board=82;action=display;threadid=5851

You only start of with a couple of teaspoons. Buy a couple of soft rounded weaning spoons for giving the pureed food (plus a little babys feeding bowl to put the pureed food in). You can start of with baby rice for a couple of days once a day, then go onto pureed food. The consistency has to be just slightly thicker then the formula milk and have no lumps to begin with.

Have a look at the above links, if there is anything else that you need to know, just ask.

Love

Jeanette xxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
263 Posts
Angie - Jeanette has put a lot on info on the Feeding part of the board. She's also just put a link from Mums and Babies Part 10 to it - sorry I can't work out how to do links!!

Good luck with the weaning. I started Hannah at 17 weeks as her weight was starting to drop a bit. Best to start when they're alert say at lunchtime. The thought of weaning was a bit daunting to me at first but you soon get into the swing of it.

Hannah wasn't that keen on the baby rice and if you taste it you can tell why!! I started on pureed carrot quite soon, mixed in with the baby rice and that went down much better.

Hope this helps

Celia

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry was posting at the same time as Jeanette!!

Celia

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you heat the baby rice or foods first??

Love Angexxxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Ange

The foods should be about the same temperature as the formula milk.

Put the babys feeding bowl into a bigger bowl that has hot water in it to heat up (same as you do for formula/ breast milk in a bottle).

The food will heat up quickly as it is only a very small amount. If you use milk from a bottle of formula milk that is still warm you wont need to heat it up again.

Hope this helps

Love

Jeanette

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Deborah - you're a gem - will Im you my address later.

By the way - how long can you keep pureed food in a icecube tray?

Love Angexxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Ange - I'm not sure if this is covered in the info Jeanette has very helpfully provided (haven't had a chance to read through yet, but I'm sure it will say about introducing one food at a time to reduce allergy risk, etc. but not sure if it contains vegetarian stuff), but I know you and Jay are vegetarian, and if you are weaning Jessica onto a vegetarian diet then this may be helpful as it helps with the iron levels that usually need replenishing by the time a baby is 6 months.

From 4 months - Pureed veg (potatoes, carrots, spinach, courgettes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, etc.). You can puree these down, mix with formula/breast milk to make runny and increase quantity and then re-thicken with baby rice. Pureed fruit (cooked apple or pear, raw banana, cooked and pureed dried apricots).
Baby rice, corn, millet, sago.
NO NUTS OR EGGS

From 5 months add - mashed or pureed lentils. Widen range of veg and fruit - try avacado, mango, grapes (peeled, deseeded and halved). Some dairy oods such as baby yoghurt.
NO NUTS OR EGGS

From 6 months add

Tofu, mashed lentils and baked beans (reduced salt and sugar). Dairy foods, eg. cheese. Hard boiled eggs (if no family history of allergy). Wheat products, eg. bread, porridge, rusks and cereals.
NO NUTS

Jayne xxxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts