Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok firstly I would like to apologise for not being in contact for so long … I’ve been having a bit of a mare.  Here goes my birth story .. hope I don’t put anyone off the idea!!

At 35 weeks I was admitted to hospital for 24 hours observation and urine collection (so they could get a more accurate measure of my protein output) I was swelling up and had 1 plus of protein in my water, I wasn’t feeling too good so they decided to run some tests and see what was happening… 2 weeks later I was still there!  By this time I had developed full pre-eclampsia and was swollen beyond belief .. I had to lift my legs on and off the bed and I couldn’t bend them at all .. and for once I’m not exaggerating.

I woke on the morning of the 21st June feeling very unsettled, I’d had another bad night with the SPD and swelling and the heat, I’d been given a sleeping tablet in the night as they decided I needed to get some rest so I thought the reason I felt a bit off was because of that .. anyway it was a new midwife in charge of our bay that day and she was very harassed and struggling to get everything done.  I had been there for so long I knew the drill off by heart, I was meant to be having 4 hourly observations and monitoring of the twins heartbeats on CTG twice a day.  By 2pm the new midwife had still not been to do any obs and I was spitting bricks!  Every time I tried to approach her she kept saying “yes I know I’m on my way” if she passed me in the corridor she looked the other way! .. I rang my Mum and dh and told them I was coming home .. I really couldn’t be that bad if they weren’t bothering with me .. and I can sit and be ignored at home!  At 4pm the midwife came to see me … I was fuming by this point so needless to say my blood pressure was high … at 8pm when my obs were done again it was still high, my consultant came to see me and said he wasn’t overly worried but that I was in the best place (yeah right!!!) and gave me a date to be induced which was to be in 4 days.. so I was happy. 

That night when all the others were watching Holby City I went to bed because I was feeling a bit off .. the night midwife came to see me and told me to ring the buzzer if I felt unwell in the night, not to try and walk about on my own … she didn’t think I looked right ???

At twelve thirty I woke in agony, I couldn’t breathe and my arms and legs were numb, I could see the call button but couldn’t do anything to reach it, I had severe upper abdominal pain and my head felt like it was going to explode, the room was spinning and everything felt totally out of control.  I tried to wake the others in my bay but they were snoring for England.  I’m not sure how long I was like that, if felt like forever.  Finally a health care assistant came in to collect the empty coffee cups, all I could say was ‘help’ she ran and got the midwife who in turn rang the emergency buzzer and within minutes there were 3 midwives and 3 doctors all trying to sort me out .. the registrar told me that my condition was serious and action needed to be taken immediately to save me and the babies .. I knew it was bad when they ran with me in my bed to labour ward .. my entire body was twitching and I had no control, I could see the babies heart beats on the monitor and could see they kept having massive dips.

Once in the labour ward there was a frenzy of activity .. they put a catheter in and monitor all over me my blood pressure was thru the roof so they gave me magnesium sulphate to bring it down .. I honestly thought I was going die and kept telling them to make sure the babies didn’t die … my Mum and dh arrived and I was rushed into theatre .. Ethan was born at 01.47 weighing 5lb 13oz and Thomas was born at 01.48 weighing 6lb 13oz and they are both absolutely perfect.

I spent the next 48 hours in intensive care, my consultant came to see me and told me that if they had waited 60 seconds longer I would have started fitting .. he said I was lucky that the babies survived.  After that went into a room on my own, the next day I was unwell again and blood tests showed that I was seriously anaemic, they gave me 4 units of blood and within a couple of days I was well enough to go home.

Since being home I’ve had a few infections but I’m slowly getting back to normal, I still have some problems with my blood pressure (now it’s too low!) but none of that matters as I have 2 wonderful baby boys to keep me going.

Although my pregnancy and delivery didn’t go the way I had planned it all turned out ok in the end and I thank God every day for making it all work out ok.

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^
Congratulations on the long-awaited arrival of
Ethan and Thomas!

^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^ ^storkboy^ ^babycrawl^

OMG how scarey, you really had a time of it! ^Cuddle^ Must admit I had a tear reading about you saying don't let the babies die ............. so glad you're all home now,

Marie xx
(ps, I told you they'd be boys!)

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Blimey Westies

ofcourse your forgiven for not being around much

what a hell of a birth story !

respect to you and welcome to Ethan and Thomas

so pleased you are all ok

Love your poke in the rib fun mate Mini xx

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
OMG Westies what a traumatic time you've had.  Thank God your little boys and you are ok.  Welcome Ethan & Thomas.  Hope you are well now hun.

Nic & Ella xxx

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Oh Westies, what a scarey experience for you, brought tears to my eyes when reading how scared you werwe and how you were just asking for them to safe the boys, I am so pleased that after everything you have been through, your gorgeous little boys are well and healthy and great weights to.

Congratulations on the birth of Ethan & Thomas and thanks for sharing, the boartds were not the same after you left us  :-* :-*

Candy xx

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
oh westies how awful for you - this has brought a tear to my eye.
i'm so glad you are all ok.
i hope you are recovering emotionally from the trauma as well as physically. 
love
elvie
xx
p.s still got the mg??! 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.