Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is for you all but especially for Claudine if you're reading as I know you've seen Mr Ramsay before ... in fact it was you that put the idea to us that concentrating on dh's problems and possible solutions might be a useful step for us as his count and morph are low - the only problems we know we have in conceiving.

Although we were offered an earlier appointment we're seeing him at his Slough clinic at the end of May. He has a brief history of dh (most probably mumps was the cause of his low count) and said that he'd do as many preliminary tests as possible that day, maybe having to do more in depth ones at the London clinic later.

The purpose of me posting is to firstly thank Claudine for giving us this lead, it feels very positive that we are actually now investigating the true cause and not just trying to find ways round the problem, and also to share with you all as I'm quite excited that things are moving on!

Caludine do you know what we can expect from this first consultation? Were all your tests done on the same day?

I'll let you all know how we get on, you never know we might pick up something useful for others too.

Kerry x

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hi Kerry!

I'm very much hoping Mr Ramsay can help you.  With us, we'd had pretty much everything done already between B'ham Womens and the full work-up at Cornell... in other words, we'd ruled out Y deletion, balanced translocation, CF gene, plus had had at least a couple of sets of hormonal checks (FSH, testosterone) and a very thorough ultrasound and physical at Cornell.

So when we got to Harley St, the DH had bloods again to see where he was at as far as FSH, T etc but there was clearly no need for any further chromosomal testing.  He had a physical to check for varicoceles then an ultrasound for a more in depth look.  SA couldn't be done on the day, I think it was more to do with the "abstinence" time frame more than anything else (between baby and travel had been too long :-[) so an appointment was made for later that week.

Your DH has a low count, how low is it?  We really needed to know that we had a urologist experienced in microsurgical TESE on board in case we had no fresh sperm to work with on the day of EC (as happened on our first and third cycles).  We were also considering varicocele repair as recommended by Schlegel, which Mr Ramsay is experienced in and endorsed, IF the varicocele was of significance.  Hence the physical and ultrasound... which revealed nothing.  So no varicocelectomy.

Can I ask if you are also looking at/have decided on another fertility clinic as there are still things you could have checked out before embarking on another tx :-[ forgive me if you've already been though this.  I had a hysteroscopy done at ARGC, NK cells etc, plus mock transfer at Cornell and endometrial biopsy.

As there is no way DH and I will ever conceive without ICSI, we had to make sure there was absolutely no stone left unturned before trying our fourth and final cycle.  As per the discussion on the "Which clinic" thread, I am still a believer in ARGC being the best clinic in the UK but that (certainly in our case) it is better still with a urologist working on the male side.

:-* Really really hope things go your way soon, may your next cycle be The One (as it was for us, fourth time lucky eh?).

******** Oh, just looking at your profile again, is the DH on Clomid or you????************

·
Registered
390 Posts
HI Kerry & Claudine

Just wanted to pop on and say we are also probably going to go and see Mr Ramsay (thanks to Claudine for giving us that lead too!).
I have emailed him & he has emailed back to say he would be happy to see us in order to investigate DH further & help us decide if pursuing ICSI with DH sperm is still worth it (hope so)

So will be interested to hear how you get on Kerry....

Hi Claudine - guess what i found all of those emails you sent me - for some reason they went to by "junk" mail box, which i never checked!

Sally
XX

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Just to add that we're going to see the embryologist mid-June after the DH has been on the Clomid for 3 months.  There's going to be some "tinkering" to see which sample is best (apparently sometimes better sperm in the 2nd sample? also sometimes better day before EC etc)... Talk about performance under pressure  :eek:

Will try to find out more about her.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Claudine, yes like you I feel that we really need to look more closely at what can be done with dh before jumping into tx#4 so at the moment we're not even planning a time for next tx, plus its me that's been put on clomid for 6 months so that'll take us up to the end of this year before we can do icsi (I'm on clomid at my request, thought it couldn't harm and might regulate my cycles that have become slightly longer than nomal since 1st tx 2 years ago). I think we will seriously consider argc especially now that we will be working with Mr Ramsay. One thing's for sure I wont be going back to either of the clinics we've been to before.

Dh's count varies from 4 to 7 million. Trouble is it was 7, is now 4. When he was first diagnosed it was said that his tescicular degeneration would continue over time and so I suppose this has been borne out in his results. Dh is very pleased about seeing Mr Ramsay to discuss this as he has only ever had this sort of vague information from a single consultation with an NHS endocrinologist who gave him this news and said 'but ivf could help' ... but what of the decrease in testosterone production and associated increased risk of depression / weight gain etc - it affects a while lot more than his fertility. Reading some of the cornell links you posted it will also be good to speak to Mr Ramsay about aromatase inhibitors, with some (out of date - degree is now 10 years old, yikes!) scientific knowledge this seems the best bet in our case, certainly worth discussing anyway.

Sounds like you've been through so many tests I should think its quite satisfying knowing you've covered all your bases. This, after two years of tx feels like only the start of our journey. I've only recently had a hycosy - again at my request, which was clear. I've only this month had my first day 21 progesterone test due to being on clomid, which has lucklily shown ovulation but is this due to the clomid or do I ovulate naturally anyway? So many questions as we've said before its very frustrating that these things aren't checked first before recommending invasive tx based on a sperm count.

Anyway, I find myself on the soap box again! How is your dh finding the clomid? Best of luck for your appointment in summer the tinkering sounds like a good idea to make sure you get the very best results. Do let us know how you get on.

And Sally, good luck to you too! Have you an idea of when your appointment will be? I thought it was a good idea to refuse the appointment offered for today and take the next one at the end of May to give dh a bit of time to get healthy / us more time to read up ... now I'm just hoping time passes quickly and we can get on with it!

Good night all, will keep in touch.

Kerry

·
Registered
390 Posts
KerryO said:
And Sally, good luck to you too! Have you an idea of when your appointment will be?
HI Kerry

We've not booked anything yet - think i will probably ring this week. We have our follow up appt on Weds at our current clinic, so wanted to wait until after that - not because i think they will tell us anything amazing but just because for the last few weeks i have been enjoying not worrying about what our next step is, when our next appt will be, who they will be with etc etc - think i'm in denial ::)

I agree with you though re taking that later appt - gives you and DH time to prepare - a few months ago i would never have been able to wait (i'm quite impatient!) but after 3 failed ICSI's I need a break to try and find out as much as we can before number 4.

Please do keep in touch & i wish you lots and lots of luck :)

Hi Claudine - hope all is well with you ;)

Sally
XX

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know that our appointment has been put back ... we were disappointed when we realised that it fell on the saturday of spring bank holiday as we were planning our first camping trip of the year (woohoo!) and couldn't have done both.  :-\

So we're now seeing Mr Ramsay at the and of June. I wanted to let you all know as I promised to report back on here afterwards and I didnt want you thinking i'd not bothered!.

Happy bank holiday everyone, hope you've all got nice things planned.

Kerry  :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Spent it at the MIL's!

Hope you have a fantastic camping trip and look forward to hearing how you get on with Mr Ramsay.

We'll be seeing Dr Homer mid-June (the embryologist), at least we will be when I book the appointment, then Mr Ramsay.  Planning to cycle third week in July.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that good or bad?! (MIL's)

Not long now then, things seem to be moving on for you. Did you manage to find out any more on the embryologist or are you leaving it as a suprise for your visit? Best of luck for that, let us know how you get on.

Kerry

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi Kerry & Claudine

Just to let you know we are booked in to see Mr Ramsay on the 20th June  :)

Hope you are both well

XX

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Molly, a day before us! Let me know how you get on and I'll do the same. Best of luck xxx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts