Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just made first contact with LA adoption ppl, it looks like it wil be as frustrating as dealing with the NHS, it is all one thing at a time with huge gaps.

Are private agencies just for overseas adoptions, or can you just pay to bypass the LA process?

Chris

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi you can approach Voluntary Agencies (they are registered charities and classed as voluntary as opposed to LA), I don't think you have to pay though.  You can find a list of the VA's on the BAAF and Adoption UK websites.  We're currently deciding whether to go with the VA or LA (see my post called LA or VA?).

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi Chris

firstly welcome to the adoption boards

I went with a LA (40miles from us)and yes it may seem like there are big gaps between things however here is a run down of how it went for us
Early Dec 06-email to LA/phone call from them/ form filling
Late Jan 07- Screen visit/interview
mid Feb 07 -prep course (should have been April however someone dropped out)
End March 07 - post prep feed back meeting
Mid april 07- Start of HS and medicals
Mid/end July-moved house (our LA knew this due to regernation in our area)
early/mid sept 07 approval panel
Early March 08- advised of being matched to children(25weeks to the day after approval panel)
End march 08-Matching panel (we agreed witht he match)
Mid april 08- Started intros
End April 08- Children moved in

This may seem like lots of gaps however i can promise it does go quick if you go with the right LA/VA and you ahve a good SW- we could have gone to panel 4-6weeks before for approval if we didnt move house hwoever we still would have waited for our children as our match is PERFECT! we have 2 children and they are both too alike us!

You can go with any VA/LA within 50mile radius of your home

Good luck

xxx

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I have a duff LA, a few weeks in already and stage 2 of your list, they estimate will happen in August.

This just reeks of the NHS, 18 months to do perhaps 3 days of actual work, we should have gone private from day one and not gone near our GP.

So applying that learning, should I just go private, does it concentrate all the same tasks into a reasonable time span?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Frustration over time scales is something you get used to on this journey!

There is no "private" sector in adoption (unless you are adopting from abroad).  Voluntary Agencies and Local authorities follow the same guidelines - the BAAF website is good if you haven't seen it already.  It explains what you should expect in terms of timescales before approval.

The aim of all adoption agencies is to find permanent loving homes for children, not to meet the needs of couples who are unable to have children.  This means that as frustrating as it is, there is no way to speed it up (except by phoning them all the time!).  It just takes as long as it takes. (annoyingly!!). 

There is a huge amount of work involved before approval, and it's best not to be rushed.  Social workers will want to get to know you really well so they can represent you.  It's also emotionally very draining, and the gaps give a bit of breathing space.

My timescales are probably average and are in my signature.

All the best for your journey.
B

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
chris

frustration has been the name of the game us in our adoption journey - and we've had a 'quick' one  :)

we're with a VA -
phoned and they visited 1-2 weeks later
letter arrived after few days inviting us to apply
letter posted JULY 2007
waited till SW back off summer hols and started home study SEP 2007
attended prep course over 3 full days NOV 2007
finished home study FEB 2008
had 2 frustrating months where SW boss could not visit to sign us off and so panel was delayed from FEB to MARCH and finally APRIL 2008 we were approved  :)

so for us 8 months, 2 weeks and 6 days from posting that application to approval panel. Government guidelines say 8 months but most people say to us - gosh you were quick we took X long......

for us the VA quoted 6-8 months while the LA said it will take us a year - so we went with the VA (national agency that covers whole country). 

if the LA can't do the initial visit till august  :eek: i'd look elsewhere personally as i'd be afraid that it would be 'normal' for there to be delays all the way through - staffing problems are more common in LAs than VA's i've found.

hth - ritz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.