Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - Excuse me but I'm quite nervous as have never posted on a message board. 

My partner and I have been trying for 9 months (which doesn't seem very long at all after reading some of the postings on here).  I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 years ago.  My GP advised I should go see her as soon as I started trying and they would refer me to be started on Clomid.  I have my first appointment with the doctor at the hospital on Friday and am not sure what I should expect.  Will there be tests? exams? anything? How long from the appointment until starting the treatment?

Sorry for all the questions...........

Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
hi Kellylou and welcome to FF  ^wave^

Different hospitals have different policies so its hard to say what they will do on your first visit.  My gynae wanted me to have a hysteroscopy to check my tubes were clear, hubbie had a dh and I had my bloods checked before I started clomid. Although I do have endo.  Others are put on them whilst waiting/having the tests.  I'm sure everything will be just fine, do let us know how you get along.  We are all hear for you to  ^gossip^ to and help you along the journey.

See you around xxx

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hiya and welcome to the Clomid board.

When I saw my GP I was referred to gynae which took about 3 months.  At my first consultation I was going to have an internal exam but it was TOTM so she said she would do it when I had my lap & dye done which was schedule for 2 months later.  Due to my age (i was 33 then) she didnt want to put me on Clomid until she knew for sure my tubes were ok.  It was then a month between the lap & dye being done and being started on Clomid again.  I was on Clomid for 6 months then had a 6 month break and am back on Clomid again.

All the hospitals and clinics operate slightly differently and the type of monitoring you have will depend on where you live and which clinic you are seen at.  My clinic only does day 21s for the first 2 months then you are left on your own (but my GP has stepped in and doing the monitoring for my remaining 4 months) while other ladies here are monitored every month or by ultrasound.

Best of luck to you as you start your journey of trying to conceive.  Feel free to post here as often as you like if you have any questions, worries or good news too!

Hugs

Witchie Poo Cat

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
after i had done a blood test to See if i was ovulating or not my gp referred me to a fertility clinicat the hospital.  I went along to the appointment, he asked my partner and me questions about our health, felt my tummy, and booked me in for a scan to investigate and see if all is OK. He gave me three months of clomid

The appointment came through about 6 weeks after i first went to the doctors....wasn't very long at all which was great!!

I was really excited and pleased that i had been given them at my first appointment!!

I hope it all goes well for you, do let us know!!

Bendybird.xxxx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much  ^daisy^ guys for all your help and advice - this is all very new to me and I am extremely nervous  :-\ (which won't help one bit).  I am really surprised by the closeness of this environment and am finding it very comforting to know that I am not on my own and always have somewhere I can come to chat about how I am feeling.

Kelly :)

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi :)

Good luck with your appointment.

I'd suggest taking as much info along with you regarding your cycles & medical history.

Although I was diagnosed with severe endo 17yrs ago & also a bicornuate uterus about 5 years ago, we weren't referred to fertility expert until January this year (we'd been ttc for almost 18mths by then !!)
At our first appt we had to go through our medical history, given forms to have lots blood tests done (LH, FSH, Thyroid, Progesterone, full blood count) & DP had to have ^sperm^ (we'd had alot of these before done privately but NHS consultant wanted again)...then we got appt for 3mths later when I had to have a TVS (transvaginal scan - or dildo cam ;) ;D ) I had to have another hysteroscopy (cos of past problems) so we moved to private & haven't returned to NHS as just seem to get quicker appts.
I was only prescribed clomid to "boost" as I ovulate naturally....

That's just my experience & I know some ladies are prescribed clomid straight away whilst others have to wait for test results. As other ladies have mentioned, you may be required to have an HSG (hysterosalpingogram) to check your tubes and occasionally you may be required to have a laparoscopy & dye...

And if you're memory is anything like mine, then write down all the questions you & your partner want to ask...we always go with a long list otherwise just forget !!!

Good luck & take care ^reiki^
Natasha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.