Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me anything to take or do to improve egg quality and quantity. cluching at straws now i think.
thanks

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Just a quickie reply I'm afraid cos I've got to get on with some work !! Zinc is good for improving egg quality...as is protein. Drink plenty of water (at least 2 litres a day) as this can help as well. Its quality not quantity that is the main thing !!

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
828 Posts
Superantioxidants - Spirulina, Wheatgrass etc are good - you can get them in powered form in tubs from healthfood shops or on the internet (www.nutricentre.com is good) and an example brand is Kiki's Green or Superfood but there are others.  These are meant to be better than vitamins as they are more bio-available and basically protect your eggs from free-radicals.  These powders taste horrible but just mix them in a blender with something else and just gulp them down!  If you can't face it you can usually get capsules.

Frozen fruits (especially berries) are quite handy for making smoothies - Tescos even do a frozen smoothie mix in their frozen fruit section.   Get your DH on these too!

Protein is important so start Whey to Go (Solgar) three months before to ensure you are getting a baseline amount of protein. 

L'arginine is also meant to be good (although not when on stimms).  Probably about 500mg-1000mg per day during the first half of your cycle when not on stimms and then all they way up to the start of stimms the month before stimms.

OPC (grapeseed extract or Pycgenol) 50mg

Royal Jelly

Fish oil (make sure it is a good brand like Eskimo 3).  7 capsules or one teaspoon.

Take a good pre-natal to cover all the bases which I am sure you are. 

COenzyme Q10 (up to 100mg)

That will probably do you for the moment or you will really rattle!  This is all info from Randine Lewis's book - I haven't read it but found it on the alternative therapies thread on IVFconnections.com

Hope it works - I think it helped me but there are lots of other factors involved such as drugs used during stimulation. 

/links

·
Registered
74 Posts
vitamin c 1000mg increases a womens fertility
PABA..400mg increases estrogen
co-enzyme-q10 100mg improves egg quality
folic acid...(we know what that does)
L-arginine increases fertility in older women who have failed ivf
essential fatty acids (not cod liver oil) helps the health of reproductive system
iron 10mg
men should take the same but not the iron..and instead of iron take selenium 200mg

also PABA.. is only available in the busy b slow release vit from holland and barratt

·
Registered
495 Posts
butterflywings said:
vitamin c 1000mg increases a womens fertility
Too much Vit C will act as an antihistamine and decrease cervical mucus (especially important when trying naturally). However, for men Vit C is very important for sperm quality.

butterflywings said:
L-arginine increases fertility in older women who have failed ivf
If you are prone to cold sores/herpes, I would suggest you avoid L-arginine as it can aggravate the occurence of cold sores or worsen the condition.

Minty

·
Registered
60 Posts
1st IVF - 2 eggs, 2 embryos - didn't make any changes to diet.

2nd IVF - 12 eggs, 9 embryos - took Pregnacare conception vitamin once a day, ate an organic egg every day from starting stimms (for protein!) and had a very healthy diet - lots and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and cut out all alcohol and caffeine.

Even though the 2nd cycle resulted in a BFN too, I feel physically much better than I did after the first cycle.

Hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.