Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am quite new to this pg thing, and find i am worried about everything i eat/drink.
Can anyone give me a general list of things to be avoided.....
HELP!!!!
Thanks Sally    :) ^idiot^ ::)

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hi Sally

Congratulations on your BFP!

The general things to avoid are soft and blue veined cheeses (Brie, Gorgonzola etc) , pates (may contain listeria), softly boiled/raw eggs (and anything that may contain eggs such as mayonnaise that hasn't been pasturised - to avoid salmonella).  Also avoid liver and anything containing high levels of vitamin A.  Shellfish (to avoid general food poisoning)  If you or DH has suffered from allergies, in particular, asthma, hay fever or exzema (spelling?) then you are recommended to avoid peanuts (it's probably best to avoid them anyway).  Also the obvious things such as alcohol and smoking.  So.... that's all the nice stuff then!!   ;D  

Good luck

Love

Claire
x

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Sally

Ok this is what I know.....

No Pate - mainly because of high level of Vit A - although pasteurised/tinned pate is OK as long as it is not liver pate.

No part cooked, soft eggs or home made ice cream/mayonnaise or anything with raw eggs because of salmonella. Although shop bought ice cream and mayo are OK.

No soft/blue cheese such as stilton, brie, camenbert. Although brie and camenbert are OK if cooked and hot. Cheese spread and Philly are OK. Because of ?listeriosis? . Also no bagged salad for same reason.

No cured/ raw meats such as parma ham or salami.

No raw or cold shell fish although hot and cooked are OK.

Make sure are ready meals are properly cooked and hot throughout.

Avoid soil, cat poop as it can contain toxicaria thingy.

These were all from a leaflet I got from NCT.

I have also heard avoid peanuts if there is a history of allergy in the family.

HTH
xxxx

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hi Sally,

Not sure whether this is exhaustive, but here goes
Avoid -
Soft cheese containing unpasteurized milk - brie, camembert, feta, ricotta. Hard cheese like Cheddar and prepackaged cheese like Philadelphia  is OK
Soft serve iced cream from vans eg Mr Whippy (bought Ice cream is OK if frozen well)
Slushy drinks kept semi frozen for ages
Anything kept warm in food outlets all day, like curries in food halls
Raw seafood and fish like oysters, sushi
Prepacked salads and premade sandwiches - also if being strict, cold meats and salamis, unless cooked yourself.
Pate
Raw egg or soft boiled egg (make sure its hard boiled) - there is raw egg in a lot of salad dressings like Caeser.
Some herbal teas esp rasberry leaf tea (OK at the end to bring on labour)
Dips except newly opened dips like hommos
Deep sea fish should be avoided - as there's concern about heavy metals - not sure of details of this. I think canned tuna or salmon once a week is fine.

McDonalds is OK i'm told as there is such a fast turnover of food and its cooked well - might not be nutritionally that great, but the odd burger won't hurt.
Most important is to adhere to general food hygeine eg. Use left overs for only one day and then discard. Wash fruit and veggies really well. Make your own sandwiches with meat you've cooked yourself, Don't refreeze.

Hope this list is OK.

Correct me anyone please if theres anything wrong or I've left anything out,

Suzy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.