Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im confused everyone is talking about IUI and short abbriviated words but i cant understand please help#

i am on clomid have been for a year and nothing has been spoken to me about injections or further treatment .

i think that the nhs hospital consultant has made a fool out of me

sarah :-\

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I was in the same boat as you, i was attending an NHS hospital and they put me on Clomid for a year too  and every 3 months they would see me & when i wasn't getting pregnant they would increase the dosage to see if that would work.  They never done any blood tests during this time and it was only towards the end (when my consultant left and a new one came along) that i was sent for a day 2 blood test which revealed that i wasn't ovulating, so a whole year taking clomid for nothing!  Then they told me that the clomid wasn't going to work and i would have to look elsewhere for treatment as they don't do IUI/IVF in my area.

When i moved to a private clinic & had my initial conultation the consultant was amazed at the length of time i had been on clomid for and the fact that i had never had any blood tests during this time. I was really annoyed but my consultant said that this type of thing isn't uncommon for NHS hospitals  ^bigbad^.

I had some IUI (intra-uterine insemination ) done after that - this is where you are given injections to control your ovulation and then they insert sperm at the best time for fertilisation (there is a separate thread on the messages board for IUI people).  have a look there and you should get some more information on what's involved.

good luck!
Lou.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you tell me whether you paid for iui or did you get it on nhs because we are thinking are asking for another consultant but are not to sure im on my last course of clomid and i am due a blood test in 10 days time to see if i am ovulating....

hope i am

sarah

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Sarah....

Just seen your post.  I was in a similar situation to you last year.  I was prescribed CLOMID after all usual investigations were carried out (unexplained infertility). I was ovulating anyway and hubby was fine too.

I won't bore you with the ins and outs of it all but I was prescribed it for a year and I took myself off it after 7 months... I was  so fed up. I wasn't monitored (except x2 blood tests).  I felt fobbed off by the NHS and felt I was was being passed from pillar to post. They messed up my appointments, some were even re-arranged for in 6 months time... the list is endless.  In the end I went back to my GP who was very understanding.  She contacted my Consultant who then booked me in for the very next day.  It was only now she gave us our options and how to proceed from here.  It's taken me just over 3 years to get to where I want to be.... I start ICSI at the end of this month.... ahhhhh!

Have you thought about going back to see your GP?  Is she/he supportive and understanding in what you are going through? Can they help?  Otherwise... when you go back to the Consultant..... I would demand some answers.  Be prepared with any questions you have.  Write them down if necessary.  Don't be frightend to be angry with them.  They should be discussing the next step and treatment options with you.  All the questions you want to know.... don't be afraid to ask.....

Good luck with the treatment..... sometimes you might need to jump up and down and shout a bit .... it may or may not work.... but at least you'll get it off your chest!!

All the best
Pasha x

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I totally agree stamp your feet ^tantrum^ NHS kept on messing me around with my lap and I was waiting for ages this was after my GP and NHS had waited 3 yrs of me ttc naturally before realising I had a problem.  I found a very angry email to the way I had been treated to my NHS consultant did the trick had my lap within a week of complaining I told my private consultant who used to work for the NHS and he laughed and said well done for complaining.  I think a lot of the consultants / staff care who work in the NHS there is just a lot of red tape and admin breakdowns if you know what I mean  ::)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.