Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am really confused  ^idiot^.  Quick background - I had my 4th failed DIUI just after Easter, the AF that told me it had failed was pretty normal.  Following a follow up consultation we have decided to have another attempt (we are also on wait for D IVF) so have been waiting for AF. It was a few days late and heavier than normal and more painful.  It appeared to start easing off then last night it went really clotty (sorry TMI) and heavy for about half/3/4 of an hour or so - today has been fairly light again.

I spoke to the clinic today and asked what they thought - the nurse said maybe something had started to work last time (or words to that effect) - can that really happen and what does the clotting mean/show?  I said to the nurse (we are also having difficulty getting my day 10 scan booked in - I usually have it locally and then travel the 2 hours for the actual tx - the Prof who does it isn't around this week so won't know until the day of the scan whether he can do it)  does she think we should go ahead this month and she said she wasn't sure whether we should.

My questions are have other people experienced this and what advise have you had?
What is the clotting - what is actually coming away different to a normal AF?
Is it a good idea to go straight away or should we wait (I don' t want to miss a month but if it is a better decision) - is there any logic in my thinking that a heavy AF like this will "clear things out"? And therefore maybe my body will be receptive to the next tx?
I just don't know if all the signals are saying wait or go for it - we have to pay so obviously want the best chance. The consultant also said that our last attempt was by far the most positive and it just seemed so close to working which is making this harder.

Any thoughts would be great - I have searched but can't find anything specific to this situation.
Thanks
A confused Tiny xxxx  ^idiot^

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
is thios your 2nd af after last tx?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Isn't the clotting just the lining coming away? That's what I had always assumed. I get it every month...although I do think it might have got a bit worse (ie more clots/heavier) since having tx - I put it down to a combination of the medication and possibly just me over analysing every aspect of my AF in a way I never did before I started all this  :)

If this is your 2nd AF after your last tx, and you got a negative on that cycle, it seems odd that the nurse would say the heavy bleeding is related to that - surely if something had started to work it would have been the AF straight after tx which was heavier? But I'm certainly no expert on this sort of thing...hopefully someone else will be along soon who can give you some more concrete answers

In the meantime, just a thought but is there any way you can go for a scan now to check everything is OK before you start this cycle? Just to put your mind at rest....
My clinic scans on day 2/3 to be sure all the old lining is gone and no cysts etc...

Good luck - hope things work out for you soon,
Laura
x

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Spooks - did you realise it was me?? I was going to reply to your PM in a min - will be in touch soon.

The AF just after tx - i.e the one that told me it hadn't worked was fairly normal but I don't know if they count that I know the other clinic I go to said they would want a "natural" AF before tx again - I presume they mean that wasn't affected by drugs?
I had the same drugs as before just with one more pregnyl jab so nothing major - the nurse seemed to wonder what to do as this AF was quite different for me. I agree I don't understand why it takes a month to have the heavier period?
I agreed with the nurse (assuming I can get my scan booked in) to wait and see what the scan shows - I know they show some useful stuff but not in detail so not sure what we can see from it that will help - hoping the Professor will do it locally then I can quiz him!!! (I have managed to have scans locally with the IVF clinic we first saw - rather than travel 2 hours for a 5min scan)

Thanks Tiny xx

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Hi, yes i did know it was you - sorry I didn't say hello  :)
Does the clinic mean you should have another normal af after the one that ended last tx? I've heard from people that have had bad af's a few months after IVF but not the immediate one after tx. Obviously IUI is different and I'm not sure what effect clomid has if you have had it a few times. Lots of clinics do tx's straight through so there can't really be a problem.
I'm assuming it is your lining - my 1st af after tx was very clotty and very upsetting - 
I'll pm you  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there
Well the nurse was a bit vague and seemed to only say maybe as I directly asked the question - I want someone to tell me definitely what to do!!!!
I hadn't thought of the clomid effect - maybe it does build up??
I think it is lining - she just seemed to think the fact that it was clotty really meant something could have nearly happened which is positive in one way but really upsetting in another - seemed so close but still negative.
Thanks,
Tiny xx

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hi Tiny - after my last IUI (2nd go) my AF was a bit heavier. I had a v faint positive preg test and then when I had the blood test, it was negative. I think, maybe you were in the same boat as me and something tried to happen and then didn't quite make it. A v early chemical pregnancy in fact. As Laura says a scan should make sure everything's fine. I'm sure this won't affect your next IUI as all the old clotty lining will have come away, creating a fresh environment for your next TX.

Thanks for your help to me on my thread yesterday!

Hope school is OK and not too busy!  :)

Katiexx

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Katie
Thank you - that is quite reassuring -I never got any sign of a BFP though. It did seem to be all going well though - I had some symptoms and the progesterone was so high for me. I think the scan will be quite telling even if we decide to wait a month - I thought it might leave a nice clean environment for the next tx?? But not really sure if it works that way though!

School was SATS today and I was stuck in our hall all day taking sharp pencils to children! Great day!

Thanks
Tiny xxxxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts