Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm hoping that somebody can help with my current confusion ...

I have recently had an appointment after all blood tests had come back. I have a low AMH level and high FSH level and so 5-10% chance of successful IVF treatment using my own eggs. But a 40-60% chance using donor eggs, worth it being at the higher end if we did this abroad where success rates seem a little higher than in this country.

But ... Can either your AMH or your FSH results change for any reason? Can results be wrong?

I have booked consultation in Barcelona and got my head around going with donor eggs. Beginning to get a little excited that they may be able to help me but just read a few posts about people's FSH levels changing. So, is IVF eithe me own eggs as futile as what I first thought or not?

I am so new to all of this and there's just so much information I get a little confused along the way. I'm sure my next appointment will help but that's not for some weeks so any advice from anyone a little more experienced than I am (there seems to be so many!) would bee very very appreciated!

Thanks in advance to those of you who are able to help me with this

X

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Hello

What are your levels? I have low AMH/high FSH, many ladies do still have success with poor levels but it does decrease your chances, AMH is indicative of egg reserve and FSH can be a sign of how you will respond to meds, my clinic for eg won't let you cycle with own eggs with an AMH under 2 or an AMH over 10 so we had to use donor but I was happy to go where our best chance lay

AMH doesnt tend to change much but usually declines fairly slowly, FSH can fluctuate a fair bit but it's where it is when you cycle that matters, as high FSH does mean you won't responed to the drugs very well

L x

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hi there,

I thought I would write, as I am in a similar position as you.  My FSH is high, but AMH and everything else is fine.  I'm 38 years old (just turned in February) and have been trying to conceive for over a year with my husband, who is 36.  The GP took a general blood test and it was on day 9 of my cycle and my FSH came out at 37.  They they did one on Day 4 and my FSH was 23.  They basically say it's all down to age and I just don't have enough eggs.  I have been trying to conceive and my ovulation sticks are always bang on, but nothing happens, no matter how much we try.  So I think it's now down to quality.

i've now been on 75 mg of DHEA, a double shot of fresh wheatgrass every day, a pregnacare conception tablet and I don't drink alcohol or do any caffeine.  I start weekly acupuncture sessions from 1st June (a month before my appointment).  I'll also do a couple of massages before I start stimming and be as relaxed as possible.  My IVF information session is on 1st July at St. Barts.  They gave me a 5% chance with my own eggs and suggested donor eggs.  My tubes are fine and clear, but ultrasound showed only one follicle in each ovary.  My cycles are normal and I ovulate. 

So the NHS has funded three cycles of IVF for me.  I figure that I would go with my own eggs this round and see where we get to.  I know what you mean about donor eggs, but then again I want my husband to have this experience too and they do say that the baby will take your own blood and genetics as the baby grows inside you.  So it's not like a donor egg won't be a part of your genetics or DNA.  I have three rounds and we honestly couldn't afford to buy IVF, so I think if this round is absolutely abysmal, I think I will switch directly to donor eggs, as I think my time is starting to run out.  To be honest, there have been people that have either gone through IVF and been successful or just stopped and then they seem to get pregnant naturally.  So lots of strange things can happen.  If you'd like to PM me and keep in touch as we go through this journey, please feel free.  I think the best we can do is just do everything we can and see from there.  I hope this helps and sorry for the ramble, but it's just all the thoughts in my head lately too!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My consultant in the UK originally gave me a 5% - 10% chance of getting pregnant from each OE IVF cycle based on my very low AMH (1.8 pmol/L) and elevated FSH (11.8 mIU/mL), plus having fibroids and a history of endo. In actual fact, I have gotten pregnant on half of the IVF cycles I have attempted -- two-thirds if you exclude the one where we cancelled before egg collection. Sadly, I miscarried in January on the first pregnancy, with problems starting at around 7 weeks; but I am now almost 10 weeks pregnant with no issues so far. (Fingers crossed -- there's still a long way to go, obviously.) You can see the tiny numbers of eggs I produced each cycle in my signature.

Anyway, my point is that the success rates quoted to you are based on the average response seen in someone with your stats -- there is a lot of individual variation that is hard to predict. Really high CD3 FSH (e.g., > 20) is an indicator that you are likely to have egg quality issues on a stimulated IVF cycle, but there seem to be a significant percentage of poor responders with somewhat elevated FSH who still produce good quality eggs, just not so many. And there are a lot of ladies who have gotten a surprise natural BFP with CD3 FSH > 20.

Weird things happen; but, of course, it's not advisable to bet on them unless you can afford to lose your stake. The decision on when to make the move to DE is, unfortunately, something where finances really need to be considered -- that is, how much money can you afford to spend in order to see how your own eggs perform? And can you afford several rounds of OE treatment in order to find what drug protocol works for your ovaries? The good thing about DE, though, is it takes some of the time pressure off; you can take your time deciding whether you want and can afford a few OE treatments, without really hurting your chances at a successful DE treatment.

Wishing you lots of luck, whatever you decide.  ^reiki^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone! I am on the same situation as you. My FSH is 18 and I have a low AMH. I am 38 years old and my husband is 40. We've been trying to get pregnant for about 10 years. I had my first ivf two weeks ago. I was a poor responder to drugs and I only had two eggs which were of a good size. Both were fertilized but they were of poor quality and they stopped developing. So, there was no embryo transfer. My doctor gave me cyclacur pills till September for my ovaries to relax and then he told me that the best route to follow is seminatural cycle with femara and if unsuccessful then we will do a natural cycle. If unsuccessful then the next option is donor eggs for us. I totally believe in my doctor and I think we will make it! Just positive thinking!

I am really happy that I came across this site! I live in Athens, Greece but I have lived in London for 4 years since I did my BA and MA degrees there so as you can imagine I love the UK! I saw that many girls come to Athens for an ivf. The clinics here are really good for ivf. If you need any help I'll be glad to help!

XXX!!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi all,
I'm in a similar situation to you all. I found out the actual figures today. My FSH is 50.8 and my AMH is less than 0.2. I knew it was bad but this confirms how bad so using OE not an option for me. I am on the list for DE. Waiting...

I was wondering if anyone knows if my drastically high and low levels will make my success less likely? This is a question I forgot to ask my consultant!

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
The levels in no way affect your chances of DE success so don't worry

L x

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had a low Amh of 4.2 and my nhs cycles my fsh was 13.9 when I did my nhs cycles. My eggs on both cycles were poor quality.

However I went I ARGC in London for a 3rd attempt with my own eggs even though nhs had told me donor eggs was the only way.  ARGC gave me hope, they monitored me properly and gave me drugs that were more suitable for me.  I'm now 12 weeks thanks to them.

My fsh changed dramatically after relaxing, changing my diet and losing weight.  When I started my monitoring with argc it was 10 and then when it come to starting treatment it dropped to 6.7 :) so fsh can be impioved.  If you can get your fsh lower then it helps egg quality and you respond better to meds.

There is hope xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts