Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 39, TTC for 8 months, DH 40. I just got my first test back and I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

FSH was 9.9. POR was high and they are going to retest and TSH was normal.

I have surfed the web for hours and I still don't know what it all means.

I just want to know whether I should dare to hope

·
Registered
154 Posts
HI JEAN :)

I AM PRETTY NEW MYSELF SO DONT KNOW MUCH. CAN TELL YOU THOUGH THAT I AM 36 YRS & MY FSH HAS BEEN MUCH HIGHER AT ABOUT 35 - 36. WHICH IS NOT GOOD. MY CLINIC TOLD ME THAT I HAD TO HAVE LEVEL OF UNDER 10 OR UNDER TO HAVE IVF, BUT IT DROPPED DOWN TO 12.5 IN MAR & THEN 5.5 IN APRIL. THEY LET ME TRY AT IVF BUT FELT THAT I WOULD HAVE A LOWER CHANCE BECAUSE OF THE HIGH FSH. TURNED OUT I HAD NO RESPONSE. MINE WAS MUCH HIGHER THAN YOURS THOUGH SO WISHING YOU LOTS OF LUCK. DONT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER THINGS IM AFRAID AS I SAID ITS ALL NEW TO ME TOO.

TAKE CARE,
TRACEY X

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tracey

Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate it and I do feel better now I think I have someone to talk to.

I think that the fact that FSH can change so much is perhaps good - it means we aren't stuck with a high result for ever, as your experience shows.

I read somewhere on this site that 10 was the cut off for donating eggs, and 12 for most clinics to try IVF so sounds as if your clinic were a bit strict in wanting 10 before they would start - perhaps it's their statistics they are worried about rather than their patients.

Lets hope for better test results as we go along and I am going to look at the site high fsh.org to try to learn some more.

Thanks

Jean

·
Registered
856 Posts
Jean4 said:
I am 39, TTC for 8 months, DH 40. I just got my first test back and I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

FSH was 9.9.

This is OK, high is 12 and above

POR

I don't know this test

was high and they are going to retest and TSH was normal.

That's good

Good luck!

Peter

I have surfed the web for hours and I still don't know what it all means.

I just want to know whether I should dare to hope

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peter

Thank you for your reply.

I made mistake on my first post - it is Prolactin they tested that was high.

I had a retest - when blood was taken twice with a half hour break after fasting - I am hoping this result will be normal. If the test is normal after fasting and rest, is this OK, or will I still have to take medication because under normal circumstances (ie no fasting and no rest) it was high - I am just a bit confused and nervous about the whole thing.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Jean4 said:
Peter

Thank you for your reply.

I made mistake on my first post - it is Prolactin they tested that was high.

I had a retest - when blood was taken twice with a half hour break after fasting - I am hoping this result will be normal. If the test is normal after fasting and rest, is this OK, or will I still have to take medication because under normal circumstances (ie no fasting and no rest) it was high - I am just a bit confused and nervous about the whole thing.
there is medication you can take to reduce prolactin levels so this should not be a problem.

Regards,

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts