Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'd be really interested to know what kind of issues you all noticed that made you 'think' there was something wrong/something going on that led you to believe you had immune issues or perhaps now you have had immune investigations you think with hindsight were 'red flags'?

Do most people with immune issues hardly get ill or does it just tend to be not getting colds and coughs so much for some reason?  I noted that Morrigan now feels with hindsight that IBS was a red flag, do others have similar things like that?

I'm curious to know what other people have felt was/is 'linked' to their immune issues which will be useful for me but may also be useful for others to know and I am also trying to decide whether to try and treat empirically or go for the tests with Dr G which tbh financially are going to be a real stress and struggle for me and then if i need tx on top it's all scaring the wits out of me really. 

A bit about me and why i want to know; I have balanced translocated chromosomes so before Christmas made the rather quick and difficult decision to switch to donor eggs.  I had spotting ever since ET but got a BFP and then bled more about 5 days later and had an early miscarriage.  Prior to any tx I have had 3 mc in previous relationships (hence how I found out about my chromosomes).  This tx (donor frozen embryo transfer) I was taking progynova, progesterone and 25mg prednisolone which I asked for (following reading info on here).  I found out two days ago (after the third time of trying to get them to report on my bloods)  that I am positive for Factor V Leiden Hetero.  My Gp knows very little/nothing about this so called the recurrent mc consultant I had seen in November to ask him about it,( I found him appalling at my appointment with no useful or relevant explanations and a terrible and inaccurate delivery of my chromosome problem).  He said to my GP that Factor V didn't really cause/have an impact on chances of mc unless my lupus coagulant is positive (it's not) then i would need heparin etc so I just have to be careful on flights.  The only other things I know about my bloods which he never even explained to me were:

Prothrombin time 10.5 low (normal range 10.6-13.8)
Mean corpuscular hgb high 33.2 (normal range 27.7-32.9)
Mean corpuscular volume high 98.2 (normal range 81.0-98.0)
red blood cell count low 3.83 (normal range 3.86-4.94)

It's only through kind people on here that i have any idea at all about what's going on really.

Basically I'm taking a bit of a break from tx for a little while as it's all really taken it out of me (amongst other 'life' things) and i'm back on anti depressants but it's so hard not to think about it and be thinking about what to do next.  I'm so confused i don't know what to do next.  With money being tight do i try and see a haematologist, can they help much?  Do i see Dr G?  Do i treat empirically and it could have just been one of those things?

Morrigan and Mini Minx I know you have factor V and Morrigan you've recently seen a haematologist, i'd be interested to know what advice/help they gave.  And Mini i know you're considering switching from Reprofit (where i go and would have been going again) as they didn't take your factor V into account, what are the alternatives to taking oestragen for thickening lining?  I did feel my calves getting tight and feeling 'full' and 'pumping' this cycle.  Will a GP be able to prescribe clexane now i have a diagnosis or Morrigan are you only going to be able to get it from a haematologist, should I push my (not particularly) helpful Gp to refer me to one?

God, i really have rambled here and i know it's just a bit of a splurge on the page but my head is a bit of a mess right now and i don't even know where to start with who to try and go and see. 

It would be useful to know, though, what issues people think/know they have that they feel/know are linked to likely immune issues.  I very rarely get coughs/colds as others have said before and I have a few allergies, nickel, balsum of peru, chromate and cobalt chloride (all weird sounding i know but only things like cement and pigments! not really a big deal apart from balsum of peru which is the 'parfum' you see in everything we use!)  Agate, i'm not sure if this is one of your areas of expertise but do you think having factor v means immune issues are more likely or is there no link.

*Sigh* Oh i don't know, i've tired myself out with this post as it's been whirring round my head for days and i know i've struggled to make sense (even to myself) but if any of it does and anyone has any words of wisdom they will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

GGx

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh blimey just pressed post and seen how long that is!! sorry ladies.

One other little thing though  :-[  Agate I'd be really interested to know a bit more of your thoughts about immune issues and depression, i think i have read about that in your FAQ and one other place and i have suffered with depression on and off for many years now.  Sorry i may have read things wrong and need to refer back to your FAQ but i hope i've got it right.

thanks

GGx

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I'm not sure if this is helpful, as i only had NK cells in blood tested which came back as slightly elevated on some counts,  and took 20mg prednisolone, which luckily worked so I didn't go into any more complex immune tx, ( I have no blood clotting issues)

I wasn't too surprised as we have loads of asthma/excema/allergies in the family and I have guttate psoriasis which arose after a couple of strep throat infections I had 7 years ago,

All of these are autoimmune issues so it made sense when three transfers had failed to look into it,

Livity

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hi there!
I know how you feel....
We are going down the immune route and I have booked a tel. appt with Dr Gorgy. I know less than you do though so can't be of any help. I have had 3 failed IUIs, one IVF plus one FET and nothing. Yes, it is a lot of money to test, but my clinic's approach of just trying again doesn't seem good enough. I have been offered steroids next time and told to try 75mg aspirin. For peace of mind, I'd like to actually have some tests done. It is all still a gamble though but I am trying to focus on the goal! ^pray^
Excuse my ignorance, but what is prednisolone for?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Livity and Amily

so are allergies considered an autoimmune disorder then? i guess maybe they are?  ^idiot^

Amily, not ignorance at all.  Prednisolone is a steroid which i believe (happy to stand corrected i just took the flippin' things!) helps to suppress the immune system as if you have immune issues there is a chance your body will 'attack/reject' the embryo/implantation etc so I took them empirically i.e. without being tested for anything i asked my Dr in the Cz republic to prescribe them 'just in case' i had an issue.  I was advised that a low dose of 5 or 10mg maybe doesn't really have much impact so i asked for 25mg.  I think if you get a bfp you're advised to take it up to 12 weeks but as i said, happy for someone more knowledgeable to explain better.

GG x

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Ladies,

I have Raynaud's Syndrome, which I understand is related to immune issues. I also have asthma - which has barely been evident lately - and eczema, which I struggle with a lot. There has been debate as to whether I have Sjogren's Syndrome, but the Rhuematologist I saw felt that I didn't have this, just the occasional 'flare' type event. I have PCOS, but I'm not sure how related to Immunes that is, and my TSH is a little high.

There are other things I suppose which could be put down to Immune problems, never making it past the first few days of a 2ww, feeling absolutely dreadful after ET - nightsweats and awful flu like symptoms, as well as any pre-existing conditions flaring. I am also + for MTHFR Homozygous.

I have suffered from depression previously, although I've always felt it's usually been 'reactive,' for example after the death of my best friend some years ago. I suppose when I think about it though, I've always felt that I've tended to be a rather highly strung/stressed out person - one of life's worriers sort of thing. I do think that from talking to Agate previously, that people with high stress levels can sometimes have immune issues. Agate recommended a book, why don't zebras get ulcers, some time ago - that might be worth a read.

Sending you ^hugme^

Em.x

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Em

It's interesting as one of my sisters who has factor v leiden (hence me asking for the test) also has raynaud's but i don't believe i have that.  It's poor circulation mainly noticed in the hands and feet isn't it?  And you get very cold, is that right?  I tend to have the opposite i have 'hot feet' at night and many nights, even in the winter have to have a fan at the end of my bed pointed at them.  I suddenly got eczema some years ago, seemed to have it for a few years and need cortisone cream etc, now it's pretty much died away and i don't get it.

That book sounds interesting, i'll look it up.  I'm definitely one of life's worriers but in a melancholic/disasterising way rather than being seen as highly strung. if i'm not going through a low patch i would probably seem quite calm and 'together' which would make me laugh if it were true. 

I did get through the 2ww this time but i believe that is because of having donor embryos and not using my dodgy eggs but the fact that it implanted, but only briefly, is making me worry i'm flogging a dead horse to continue as there's something else going on as well.

Oh, i also should point out that my sister that has factor v has 2 grown up daughters and had no pregnancy/miscarriage problems.  I don't think she found out about her factor v till after she'd had kids due to her varicose veins.  But i guess it affects all people differently.  And as, i believe, i read Agate saying on another thread i recently read we might have several issues going on so we're trying to tick them off and increase our chances, i guess this might be an 'argument' i need to be forearmed with when next heading to my less than helpful GP.....
GGx

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Gg - if you want me to perfectly honest I think you should get your level 2's done. It is expensive but not as expensive as repeated cycles.
I think ref reprofit I'm happy with them but except that factor v is medical issue as well as fertility issue and it's not there area of expertise.

I havnt seen haematologist yet (app on 14th) but I spoke to gp yesterday who says she will try and get authorisation to get clexane prescribed but she will need someone to tell her dose from when etc... I have my fingers crossed for thisone ! I'm not sure I believe that factor v does not effect fertility as micro clots can interfere with implantation. The up shot is as soon as you start taking any drug that increases your estrogen you need clexane to protect you
from a higher risk of blood clots. Stepan told me clexane from ec to cover fertility part.

Have you got dr beers is your body baby friendly book - this is a
great bible - as well as agates FAQ of course !

I'll let you know if haematologist has any useful advice- I would go for referral if you can on the basis might get you sorted pescription wise.

·
Premium Member
9,032 Posts
Hi GG - saw my consultant yest and he said that I HAD to take clexane / heparin as soon as I start with estrogen (how stupid was I when I didn't do that last time ... perhaps thats why it didn't work).  With my history of PE alone let alone having the facto v on top - that is a must.  I will email reprofit regarding the script for clexane.  My cons over here was shocked that Reprofit didn't take into account the factor v.  After all this is basic medicine stuff we're talking about here ....
Good luck honey and hope you get some answers soon....

Mini x x

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
ok....

well. I did try and answer a similar question under D (i think) in the FAQ about how ladies have decided to get immune tests done... but I'll try to pick up some of your other questions here.

because of the factor V, I'd expect you really would have a better chance if you had at least 40mg clexane for your next DFET.. maybe even 60 or 80 - I think saffa had 80 but I can't remember whether she had another clotting problem on top of factor V and she might have been **** rather than hetero for factor V which would have been more of a problem. I think a lot of OBs would want you on clexane during pg anyway if you have factor V as the risk to your own health due to bloodclots rises a lot during pg due to extra estrogen etc - and there is some of that risk during DFET due to estrogen Tx.

In your position I would think about:

swapping GPs - trying to see someone more sympathetic who might be more inclined to check the rest of your level 1 tests.

you could try the factor V group to see what dose of clex is normally px'd to other ladies for factor V hetero http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/FVL-PG/ - remember that clex is called lovenox in other countries. My understanding is that all clotting issues become more of a barrier to staying pg as we get older.

asking your DFET clinic if they would be prepared to Px clexane to you (I think you'd also want to have prednisolone 25mg and plenty of progesterone - extra pessaries or 100mg shots)

or, maybe seeing Dr G with a view to getting him to Px you the right dose of clexane for the factor V - but bearing in mind that he might not be comfortable with you not proceeding with full on immunes testing. You'd have to try explaining that you know the factor V is a problem and you really want that treated but you can't afford to go down the immunes testing route. He might be prepared to Px you with prednisolone as well, and possibly even intralipids but the point he will make is that he can't rule out you having other problems or know whether you actually need intralipids without the tests. I think it would cost £150 for you to see him or have a telephone consult to discuss. I don't know how you feel about this. Ideally, it would be better to have all the tests and rule out all issues, but I would guess that most autoimmune and clotting issues would be covered off by pred+clex+gestone+?aspirin+intralipids.

I honestly don't know whether you would get much help from an NHS hematologist or not. It would really be just luck of the draw as to how sympathetic they are to mc patients.

I wouldn't necessarily class allergies as autoimmune, but its more likely that if your body overreacts to an allergen, it also has unhealthy overreaction to some of your own antigens too (which would be an autoimmune issue).

I don't know what i think about depression. Dr B said it was linked to autoimmune (and therefore fertility) issues. I think perhaps, it does indicate that your body (and mind) has been put through a bit more stress than it can handle - several of the theories about autoimmune disease relate to it being triggered off by more stress than it can handle (whether that is emotional or physical stress, like an infection), so its probably raises your risk of autoimmune issues but I don't think it tells you for certain that you would have autoimmune problems.

Reynaulds and Sjogrens are autoimmune related. I don't think PCOS is. I am sure eczema can be.

This is what the Beer protocol (given on the yahoo repro immunes group files section says for inherited thrombophilias like factor V) - its easy (and free) to join the group on yahoo groups if you want to see all the files.

"Inherited Thrombophilia treatments and costs:

Folgard 2.2 RX (MTHFR vitamin containing B 12, B 6 and 2.2 mg Folic Acid): $60.00 for 60 tablets.
Lovenox or Arixtra: $1700/month
Baby aspirin: $5/month
Progesterone: $50/month
Calcium: $5/month

All of these costs are estimates and should not be used to determine exact price.

Cycle of conception treatment:

1. Aspirin 81mg daily for life.

2. Lovenox 30-40 mg (depending on the weight of patient) twice daily started on cycle day 6 and continuing through 6 weeks postpartum. Patients who are allergic to Lovenox may substitute Arixtra 2.5 mg once a day started on cycle day 6. When attempting pregnancy through assisted reproductive techniques(e.g.IVF-ET, GIFT, etc) discontinue heparin or low molecular weight heparin 48 hours prior to egg retrieval. If you are taking Arixtra injections, discontinue for 72 hours prior to egg retrieval.

3. Supplementary calcium 500mg two times daily while on Lovenox or Arixtra therapy.

4. CBC and platelet count monitored monthly while on Lovenox or heparin therapy.

5. Progesterone: Vaginal suppositories 100 mg twice daily morning and at bedtime 48 hours after ovulation or within 48 hours of embryo transfer through 16 weeks of pregnancy. In some women whose progesterone levels are less than 20, progesterone in oil injections of 50 mg daily intramuscularly are given daily until the levels are above 20.

6. Pregnancy testing is done starting on cycle day 23, 25, 27 and 29. The pregnancy test is observed for one hour. A positive test result is reported to the AEBeer Center office at (408) 356-9500.

6. If test positive for heterozygous or homozygous MTHFR mutation, add: Folgard RX vitamins daily (each pill containing B6 and B12 and 2.2mg Folic Acid) 2 pills a day for homozygous/1 pill a day for heterozygous).

If pregnant:

1. Progesterone supplementation continued through 16 weeks of pregnancy.

2. Baby aspirin continued.

3. Lovenox or Arixtra is continued through 6 weeks postpartum.

4. Calcium supplementation continued through 6 weeks postpartum:

5. CBC and platelet count should be monitored monthly while on heparin or Lovenox therapy.

6. If test positive for heterozygous or homozygous MTHFR mutation, Folgard vitamins are continued.

7. NK Assay, Cytokine assay, APA, ANA and anti-DNA Histone testing repeated at the time of a positive pregnancy test. The NK Assay and cytokine test are rechecked every 4 weeks during the first trimester then repeated again as needed.

8. Quantitative blood HCG levels twice weekly (every 3 days) and progesterone levels are drawn once per week until 10 weeks of pregnancy: See: http://repro-med.net/repro-med-site2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25&Itemid=12

If not pregnant:

1. Progesterone stopped.

2. Lovenox or Arixtra is stopped.

3. Calcium continued.

4. Baby aspirin continued for life.

5. If test positive for heterozygous or homozygous MTHFR mutation, Folgard vitamins are continued for life."

/links

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you mini and morrigan.

Thank you agate.  I'm so grateful for that.  I know you give so much of your time and everyone on here asks for your expert advice so i really do appreciate you answering.  I will take some time to digest all you have suggested.  It's just so difficult when you don't even know which doctor to go to to start with as they all have their areas and you have such a fantastic knowledge and overview from the point of view of what we ladies on here actually need rather than picking up scraps and bits and pieces from lots of different doctors and trying to piece it together for ourselves to formulate a plan.  I felt loathe to ask of your time but as my post might illustrate i'm feeling a bit desperate at the moment and not sure which way to go next.  Thank you so much, you really are an absolute godsend on here.

GGx

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi GG,

Just to add my thoughts for you....

What i always noticed was that i am very rarely ill. colds are something i either don't get very often at all, or coughs, or fight off very quickly on the rare occasion i do. Having never had a sore throat more than maybe twice in my life, i noticed i was getting them most months a few days before my period or was due, sometimes from around implanatation time up til then. also migraines began. and, weirdly, itchy eyelids - something i have read online can be a small sign of a flare. so those were my main signs that things were going wrong. And some months totally 'feeling' pregnant, and then all symptoms just dropping off so suddenly and no bfp.

I have stage 4 endometriosis (autoimmune), my mum had this, and my cousin and great aunts too. Type 1 diabetes (autoimmune) my dad has this. Chances therefore are that i would have a tendancy to autoimmune illnesses, and the symptoms of my endo began aged 11.

A friend of mine's mother suffers from severe psoriasis (autoimmune), rheumatoid arthritis (autoimmune), and has depression (in the past has been hospitalised for it), knows her depression is linked to her autoimmune diseases. In Beer's book he mentions depression and serotonin levels (I think) being linked to immune problems. I have certainly read it in that book, try looking in the back of the book under depression. If you don't have the book do buy it, its worth the money, so much information.

And as someone has suggested already...get level two tests done if its really worrying you - the cost will be less than more failed cycles. and read Agates FAQ.

Hope that is of some help.

xx Sammi

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Just thought I wuld add to your list, of things that maybe related to immune problems:

My TNFs are currently 59  :eek:  and Nks are high too :(

I have had Eczema as a child
I have Psoriosis on my scalp (like severe dandruff - which can be controlled, thankfully!)
I have Reynauds (bad circulation) and this has started to get worse in the last couple of years  :(  to the point my fingers go white and feel like plastic, and loose feeling, my feet become ice blocks in the slight cold, when everyone else seems to be fine.
I used to get bad cold sores, but no longer get these, I am wondering if my immune systems does not allow them to appear anymore
I have Mild Endo- a lady recently told me here on FF that maybe, my endo is mild due to my immune system doing such a good job of keeping it a bay
I have pcos, but thats not related as per agate
My mother has Arthritis - so I may get it too, as sometimes do get pains in joints  :(
Feeling pg some months, then no BFP at the end of it??? I have been suspicious for many years, and on a couple of occasions actually got a very faint line on a pg test...
With colds etc, I do get ill now and again, but dont get too severe... just a bit of a head cold
Some depression now and then, but did have serotonin levels checked a few years back and levels were normal

Just re-read Agate's email below - I keep forgetting that MTHFR **** needs treating for life - how annoying is that... maybe taking aspirin will help circulation with reynauds???

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you so much ladies for your input.

i'm not expecting to get any statistical analysis from this (obviously) but it's just interesting to read other peoples stories,so  thank you.  Also, i hope it may help others it they are undecided about testing etc, who knows.

I do keep reading the FAQ when something comes up but i just got a bit overwhelmed recently and didn't know where to start so ended up burbling  on  here.  :-[

tweetiepie, i'm curious, i didn't know serotonin levels could be checked per se,  why did your doctors check that? my doctors have always handed out anti d's no questions asked....

Winsome what's a 'wormer'??  Have kinda got a rough idea but  really my only inkling is in animal terms (!?) what does it involve and you say you felt better since and your sleep has been better, what have you done since?

Curious, does a 'phone consult with Dr G cost the same as a face-to-face (i.e. i think about 180?)?  I'd defo much rather do the latter and would feel it much more productive and if there is no price difference then i'd definitely travel to do it in person.

thank you again

GGx

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hi greatgazza
Phone or visit - same cost (£150) I believe. You should have an appt on Mon, Tues or wed because those are the days when you can have blood taken and it can be sent off for the tests. You could do 2 separate visits though of course. Because of my job, I can't get time off on Mon, Tues or Wed in the next month so we are opting for the phone call and getting blood taken at our doctor's (though this is a big hassle) and couriered off to London. I am getting my clinic to photocopy all my notes (they charge, of course!) because I want Dr G to have the information during our very expensive call...

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
GG - just seen this thread and I know you and I have corresponded before anyway but for what it's worth, here's my personal experiences:

I had no idea about immunes and fertility for a long time. I had excellent hormone results/clear tubes etc when I started ttc at age 37, and even after 3 failed IUI and 3 failed IVF (including one mmc at 8wks) my clinic at the time just kept insisting it was bad luck and I should keep trying...

Then I came across the whole immune thing and started reading up on it, and went to see Dr Gorgy. When I told him that my 2 sisters, mother and maternal aunt all have thyroid conditions, and my mother and aunt both have arthritis, he immediately said that I was likely to have immune problems as these are key indicators - even though I personally have no thyroid problem (tested loads of times due to family history of it). Telco consult with Dr Sher in Vegas was the same...immediate 'red flag' when I mentioned family history of thyroid and arthritis issues
Did the tests and sure enough I have raised NK cells (although no MFTHR or Factor V)

I can't think of any personal indications that I have immune issues though. As I say, no thyroid problems, no 'obvious' immune conditions. I had excema as a child but not had since my early teens. Used to get cold sores but not had one of those for years either...so hard to say really....

What I find so difficult with immune tx is the uncertainty of it all. I had 3 DE cycles with full immunes - 2 fresh, one FET. The 2 fresh failed, the FET worked and here I am expecting twins. I did nothing different on any of the cycles - same meds, same exercise and healthy eating routine, everything. All the way through this pregnancy I have had high NK cells which refuse to go down even after repeated (and very expensive) IVIG/IL drips...and yet the pregnancy has continued and all is well at 28 weeks.
So here I am not knowing whether this might just have been (for whatever random reason) the pregnancy which worked for me, or whether it was down to the immunes and if I hadn't have had them throughout, things would have gone wrong.
It's very hard to justify the expense of all the tests and the subsequent tx when there's no way of knowing if that's what made the difference or not
That said, of course I don't regret it for a minute and am just so happy to be here where I am now....but there is this little voice which wonders whether I could have saved myself the £20K+ it has cost me to get to this point....

Incidentally my sister with the thryoid condition has 3 children, all conceived naturally and with no problem whatsoever. Only difference is she started at 32, so maybe with me it was age which got in the way...again I'll never know

Oh, final point re depression, I have also suffered mild depression over the years, never been on medication, but have certainly had 2 quite bad episodes - but both were related more to specific circumstances at the time rather than just turning up, so not sure if there is a link there to immunes or not...

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I know this has been very hard and confusing for you so far, hope you manage to work things out and find a way forward soon. I think if you can bear to spend the money, getting the level 2 tests done would be a good idea - if only to clarify for you whether you have got more than just the Factor V issues going on. Dr Gorgy isn't cheap but I would say it's well worth a consultation. Do it face to face if you can though - he's softly spoken with an accent and it can be a challenge on the phone sometimes...plus face to face you can take all your paperwork/test results and run through those with him too

Best of luck
Suitcase
x

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Suitcase,

I was just reading your recent post and wondered that maybe you haven't had a cold sore in years as you say, because you have an over active immune system, which is very effective in stopping them popping up? just a thought, and i may be totally wrong.
I was thinking along the lines of endometriosis (also autoimmune disease) which can be mild, moderate or severe. yet if its mild this can be because the immune system is more aggressively attacking the endo implants inside us, and thus stopping them getting really bad. kinda makes sense. cannot for the life of me remeber where i read that, poss Beer book? But it explains why often women who say 'my endo is very mild so i doubt i will have immune problems'..then go onto have lots of implantation failures etc...and then test positive for very high Nks and TNFa etc.
sorry to ramble. Just wondered if its the same with other conditions, that may appear dormant/not there at all, but actually are trying very hard to be there, but our immune systems are going like crazy to rid us of these conditions.

Sammi x

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all your input ladies.

Thanks suity, you've been an absolute star as well with all your help and support so thank you.

GG x

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll add to this one too if I may.

I was diagnosed with immune issues and have in the past suffered from psoriasis / excema. I've also been a hay-fever sufferer since since age 19. Illness-wise though I can't say there were any particular clues that my immune system was out of whack - though I don't tend to get seriously ill, just minor colds etc.

I'm particularly interested in whether there's a link between depression and immune disorders / failure to conceive. I recently read one of Alice Domar's books on dealing with infertility. She's done quite a lot of research into effects of depression / anxiety on fertility and is firmly of the opinion that depression (though not anxiety) is a factor that can delay conception. This makes sense when you consider that depression can be seen as the body's way of coping with a 'hopeless' situation - shut down until conditions improve.

In fairness a lot of Domar's research seems to have been done at least 10 years ago and I'm not sure if there's been anything more recent to back this up, but intuitively it feels right to me and matches by own personal experience in that the periods of my life where it's take me longest to conceive do seem to corelate with depressive episodes.

Of course, it's all a bit chicken and egg - the longer it takes to conceive, the more depressed about it you're likely to feel, but what I've also found interesting is that there's some research to suggest that there may be a link between high levels of cytokines like TNF-a / INF-g and depression - just search Pubmed or Google Scholar for cytokines and depression and you'll see a whole host of research that appears to support a link.

I was diagnosed with immune / clotting issues in August and soon after started immune tx under george ndukwe at Care. My immune issues were largely TH1 cytokine imbalance (my TNF-a was normal, but IFN-g very high) with only slightly elevated NKa. To address this, I've had intralipid tx and am pleased to report that within 3 months of starting the tx I'd conceived for the first time in just over a year and am currently 8 weeks pg. Too early to tell if this pg is viable (scan next week - pls keep your fingers crossed for me), but so far so good. 

Nellie x

·
Premium Member
9,032 Posts
Nellie - fingers and toes crossed for you and your little bean x x

Must admit I've only suffered from hayfever since my multiple plumonary emboli - was fine before then!  Haven't had full immunes done - but did have all clotting tests etc after the PE to find the cause. 

hugs mini x x

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.