Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Hope you don't mind me posting here, wanted to catch people who have had their babies instead of being pg but feel free to move  :)

Well getting to the last few weeks of pg and symptom spotting every twitch and twinge. I was induced with DS so never had that going into labour naturally build up. So have been wondering for you that have had your baby(ies) naturally, looking back what signs did you get that things were starting? With hindsight and everything you don't realise things do you at the time. So wondering what niggles you got and how long from niggles to birth  :eek:

Thank you  :)  xx

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
I was induced with DD1 too, so want sure what to expect - with DD2 I got proper 'mini' contractions - they were coming every few mins so I went to the hospital expecting this to be "it" and thinking hey, these arent too bad  ::)

Only to be sniggered at, and told that thats all they were - mini practice contractions and that I would probably go into 'proper' labour in a couple of days (I had Dayz about 24 hours later).

I probably got more braxton hicks 'tightenings' with DD1

Good luck  ;)

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Hello MAL me dear!

I can't believe #2 is almost here. :) How quickly time passes.  Hope you're feeling a-okay.  :) ^hugme^

With Jack I had no inklings at all until I got up for a pee around 6am on June 22nd 2008 (he was due June 17th...), got back into bed, stretched out and, PING, the ol' waters went... tho I recall my first reaction being to wonder how it was possible for me to wet myself when I'd just been to the loo!  ^idiot^ ;D  The non-stop dribble made me quite sure it was not an incompetent bladder tho! Right from that point I had contractions every 4-7 mins for an hour or two, some quite sharp but nothing that took my breath away... then nothing at all. Everything stopped.  Long story short I ended up down the pitocin route too, effectively being induced because things really didn't get going again and J was showing some signs of distress. He finally made his appearance 27-28 hours after my waters broke.

Wishing you all the very best hun, for a smooth home run. Be sure to let us know how things go.
Love Trip xx

PS check out my new ticker!  :)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Congrats on your new pregnancy Trip  :)  ^hugme^

As for labour: Nothing with DS1 - I woke up contracting, DS2 was induced but I'd been asleep for a few hours with no signs beforehand but then woke up with full on contractions. DS3 was the only one where I knew something was brewing. He was 12 days late and I woke up that morning just knowing today was the day. I couldn't even put my finger on it but I just felt  different some how. As the day progressed I just got that heavy feeling, lower back ache and then come late afternoon/early evening I kept getting some very short, sharp pains down below which were not contractions but enough for me to know labour wasn't far away  :)  The MW later told me that the short, sharp pains down below were my waters bulging through my cervix  :eek:  He arrived after an hours labour at 22:35, just an hour or so before I at home eating a Vindaloo  ;D

S xx

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ohhhhh.... let me think!

DD was a week early, so I wasn't especially thinking "this is it" for a start....

- had a bloody show 7 days and 5 days before going into labour (for me, it was a bit like fertile CM, but more of it, and tinged with blood - nothing too dramatic or hideous!)
- on the Thursday had to pop back into work to help them find a file.  Remember feeling like I was on another planet and all over the place mentally - like I was only half there.  Remained in that funny state till proper labour started.
- Went completely off all my food, and felt a bit nauseous all the time, started the same day as above
- Friday, felt very strong urge to go to Sainsburys and spend a ridiculous amount of money on food and things I might have forgotten (I had a stash of 400+ nappies by the time DD came, which tells you how irrational I was being)
- seemed to be leaking wee.  I was so "out of it" I didn't properly stop to think this could have been my waters slow-leaking - I just put it down to stress incontinence  ^idiot^  turns out it was my waters in the end!
- Friday night, couldn't eat any of my supper, but had spent the afternoon manically making several different suppers and freezing them all
- woke up at 2 am with contractions every few minutes (5 maybe?).  DH was asleep, so I went into the bathroom and sat on the loo for what felt like hours, and tried (unsucessfully) to get some sleep. Gave up at 6am and woke DH up.  He timed contractions and they were 3 minutes apart, so hospital told us to come in within next 2 hours.
- Arrived at hospital 8am on Saturday morning, dd wasn't born until the next day (Sunday) as I ended up with a bit of a complicated labour (back to back, ventouse, episiotomy) but all was okay in the end!!

Not sure if that helps - biggest sign for me was the whole feeling "out of it/spaced out/distant" which I understand isn't uncommon!!

Sophie

·
Registered
685 Posts
I spent 7 hours thinking I just had 'weird' indigestion  ::) .  Indigestion which was causing my little bump to go hard and for me to have strange trapped wind type stabbing pains every 8 minutes, then evey 6 minutes etc etc  ^idiot^  I only went to hospital when I had a bleed, which with the benefit of hindsight was a show.  I was in, very premature, labour for 36 hours  before they noticed I was 8cm dilated and gave me some pain relieve  :eek:  A c-section then brought my tiny man in to the world  :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
DD I was induced and first sign anything was happening my waters broke so when DS was coming I didnt know what to expect.

On my due date I woke at 6am with tight feeling at bottom of my bump which kept coming at going. I was sure that was it. It carried on all day. By 1pm I was having to stop and breath through the tightenings but they were irregular. It was 10pm before they became regular and put tens machine on.  Phoned the hospital but were 10mins apart and they wanted  them closer before I went in. Finally went to hospital at 2am and DS was born at 605am

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi
With dd I had an upset tummy 24 hour before and then contractions. One big one in the afternoon then nothing but felt uncomfortable all day and had back ache. Then at 4am started contracting every 2 mins. With the boys I had a show the week before which went on for a couple of days, a heavy feeling in my pelvis and irregular bh that got stronger and then more regular
Good luck xx

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Hey,

I had no signs at all! Went to bed, felt a pop, thought i was dreaming, then thought i was wetting the bed, the realised that my waters were going and oh my days were they going, then i went in to a complete melt down!
Good luck hun!

Liz xxx

Ps...........Trip huge congratulations on your new ticker  ^hugme^

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trip huge congratulations hun  :) that is wonderful news, really pleased for you and your family  ^hugme^

Thank you all of you  :) I love reading stuff like this as everybody and every pg is different! I have a "feeling" (could be a load of rubbish) that I wont have to be induced this time  ^pray^ I did have about 3 days of period pains coming and going a lot but it all dissapeared. On one hand if I get any kind of pain I get excited then in the next minute I am I like noooooooo I am not ready to do this again. Was asking dh if there was any chance I could just wake up with baby sleeping in moses basket next to me  ;D but we don't know the sex and I am getting very impatient to find out  ::)

Thank you all again, keep them coming  :)

S I get that short sharp pain down below (glad you mentioned it I thought I was a bit  ^idiot^ and scared to mention it incase no one else had felt it) and have for a week or so, it's quite strange. Bit scared it could be bulging waters  :eek:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
hi

With DS1, who is 9 now, i had mild pains on and off all day, i even managed to go round the supermarket, leaning on the trolley eveyr 10 mins or so!  i didnt go into hospital until i heard the final whistle of the football match i was listening to on the radio lol. I was in no panick at all with him. 29 hours of labour....

With the twins i woke up, didnt need the loo but something told me to go for a pee, which i did, got back into bed and my waters burst, i began contractions about 20 mins after.... twins born via c section (planned for 2 days later...) about 4 hours later.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Absolutely no signs whatsoever  ::)

In fact the day before I had been happily helping redocorate our living room  ^idiot^  Went to bed as normal and then in morning (luckily before dh set off for work) woke because I felt a trickle and thought a bit of wee had come out so stood up and boy did the floodgates open  :eek: :eek:  I have never seen so much water!  Contractions started thereafter but only like mild period pains.  Rang hospital and they told me to come straight in (I had a booked section for 2 weeks time as twin 1 breech).  Dh decided he needed a shower first though  ^bigbad^  and then after putting sheeting over his new car seats we set off  ^bigbad^ ;D

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hiya MAL,

both my labours started similarly when I was actually starting contractions - I woke up around 2/3am with first twinges like period pains, then realised they were sort of getting more regular, timed them, got up for a wee and thought 'yes, this is it', woke DH up an hour or so later when they were 15 mins apart.

With DS1, I'd had false labour the day before in the morning.  I was very weepy and emotional all day, had what I thought were contractions up to 15 mins apart, went for a sleep at lunchtime and they'd gone.  Til that night.  Then they came back properly!

With DD2, I had very strong braxton hicks most evenings for a couple of weeks beforehand.  They would become sort of contractions, quite painful for early ones, and seem regular for about an hour, then nothing.    It was getting to be quite annoying because I kept thinking I'd better go get ready for hospital, and I was wheelchair bound at the time, so I just wanted to know really, when it would happen.  In the end I went a week overdue, and had a sweep.  I had mild pains all that afternoon and I was pretty sure it would start soon.    Sure enough I woke up that night. 

I remember obsessing a bit about the damn bloody show, and in the event it was very much like  blueskies says - a bit of a non event really...  don't even remember having a show with DD2...! 
In both cases, my waters didnt' break until I was about to start pushing, but I have several friends whose first signs of labour have been when they woke up having soaked the bed, so I had a waterproof sheet on ready, which I never needed!

I do have a couple of friends who didn't really realise they were in labour or that they should get to hospital sharpish (one was a 2nd baby too!) but I do believe that mostly, you really sort of just know.....
Despite all the BHs when I had DD, when I finally had real contractions, I did know that time that I was about to meet my baby  ^eyes^

Aww, somewhat madly I'd love to do that all again now.  Not really, but you know, I kind of would.  ::) 

Big congrats Trip! 

Claire x

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you  :)

It seems that things are more likely to happen at night then  :)  thankfully dh has just finished his night shift and back on days soon.

I never had BH with DS so not sure what I am looking out for with them, don't think I have had any this time round either. I am happy to get to 37 weeks then really hoping baby comes soonish of own accord  ^pray^  and quickly  ^reiki^

xx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
You know if you're having Braxton Hicks hun, they feel like contractions but not as bad!

Then when they're real contractions you really know!

Claire x

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
i had BH very early on and regularly throughout my pregnancy, they got more "tighter" as time went on and i did have to breathe in breathe out towards the end....... i loved having them! Och, wish i was pregnant again......

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have no idea to this day what twinges or braxton hicks are!
With O I felt something 'drop' inside me and waters broke in bed. Full on contractions started 5 mins apart and she arrived 6 hours later.

With A I woke up thinking I needed a poo and didnt go for one when I tried. DH persuaded me to ring hospital for some reason. They said to go in. Got in car and full on contractions started again 3 mins apart! Got to hospital and two pushes and he was out! Thinking about it I had been trying not to push for 30 mins!

DH is gutted as he hasnt got to try the gas!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have had some period like pains that come and go but nothing else really  :-\  hope lack of BH means I will have to be induced again.

Fran that sounds ideal! Glad you got to the hospital in time!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts