Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I,ve been emailing several clinics for info on further treatment and most of them are asking what tests i have had on my uterine cavity.
Can anyone enlighten me on this.

I have had two IVF cycles and dont recall anyone mentioning this before.

TracyM

G

·
I assume they mean a hysteroscopy (possibly a laparoscopy), possibly a uterine biopsy and maybe an HSG (tube -check)?

xxx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

A hysteroscopy, HSG (hysterosalpingogram) and a HyCoSy (hystero-salpingo contrast sonography) are 3 different procedures but all can check within the womb for possible abnormalities.....and HSG and HyCoSy can also check patency of the tubes & can show where in the tube any obstruction is.

An HSG and a HyCoSy are similar in that they involve injecting a dye up through the cervix into the uterus and watch to see it spill out the ends of the tubes. An HSG can show obstructions in the tubes & sometimes abnormalities in womb but a HyCoSy is far clearer...an HSG is like having an xray dye and uses radio contrast dye, whereas a HyCosy uses dye but with similar equipment to having a "dildo cam" internal scan ie sonography rather than xray.

http://www.nufw.com.au/hycosy.htm

http://www.ivf.com/fert_hysterosalpingogram.html

A hysteroscopy is where they check directly inside your womb for any abnormalities by inserting a fine scope with a camera, via the cervix into the womb (doesn't involve any dye). They can then see inside your womb on a screen (like when having a laparoscopy) and can also perform any surgery if needed eg removal of polyps, fibroids, uterine adhesions, correction to abormal shaped womb such as septate.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/hysteroscopy.html

A laparoscopy is different as checks the pelvic cavity, not the uterine cavity.

A laparoscopy is where they look directly inside the pelvic cavity...so see the outside of the womb, as well as the tubes, ovaries etc etc. They can check for adhesions, endometriosis, fibroids etc. This is where they pass a fine scope with camera through an incision in or just below the belly button (and possibly other small incisions around ovary and low pelvic/pubis area)...they can then perform micro surgery if required. They may also be able to perform surgery to tubes this way. With a laparoscopy they can also inject a dye up through your cervix and see if it spills out the ends of your tubes into the pelvic cavity...however, they wouldn't be able to see exactly where any possible obstruction was.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/laparoscopy.htm

Hope that helps
take care
Natasha

/links

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks girls for the info.

I had a laporoscopy about 15 years ago where they found adhesions to one of my tubes but this wasnt treated at the time.

But i,m now about to start on my third IVF cycle and the clinic I am at have not mentioned checking out uterine cavity.
Are they able to see anything during routine scans or even during ET. Should this be checked out. Or would they see that uterine cavity is ok. As far as I know, I dont have cysts or anything and there was no problems during ET. I also have regular periods with no problems whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
During scans and ET they would be able to see to some extent but obviously not as clearly as with a hysteroscopy or laparoscopy because both of these involve actually having a camera inserted so they can see on the screen........

As your laparoscopy was so long ago perhaps another clinic may require you to have another....but then if it's actually inside the womb then a hysteroscopy would be better......

I have regular periods with no problems with ovulation at all......but I do have severe endometriosis & adhesions, have had uterine polyps and adhesions removed several times as well as a fibroid from the outer side of my womb (as opposed to inside).....and a septate/bicornuate uterus....all of which can have an effect on implantation and possible cause of miscarriages.  Not all of these things have been detected on scans but only when having lap/dyes and hysteroscopies (had 5 of each and have been advised to have another hystero before starting FET later this year...last lap/dye and hystero was in Feb 2007).  I've had many of these issues for years, prior to ttc, so had the ops as standard because of my medical history.

I think many clinics like to have a look if you've had repeated failed cycles as further investigation.

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Minxy
Can you tell me where I can get this done then, will my own clinic do it. I presume they will charge the earth.
I am due to start stimming on 21st, so am I too late for this cycle.
I,m surprised then that my clinic have not asked, after having all my cycles with them.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi again

If you're due to start stimming on 21 June then think it's a bit late to get a hysteroscopy or HSG/HyCoSy done now.

Your clinic should be able to perform this but you'd have to ask I'm afraid.  Hysteroscopy costs around £1000.

Good luck
Natasha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts