Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going away when my babes are 10mths old ... i need to get smart about the milk, food, clothes and the other 101 things to get...has anyone got a list ? ie best sun block, medicines to take... ooo going off to Dubai...so hot hot hot...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
pack as little as possible, you can buy everything there i.e. nappies and wipes and the kids will wear hardly anything in the heat...

I learnt by the 3rd hol to do this...!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi Mina  ;)

I'm facing the same issue in the next 3 weeks so am interested in the replies you get. I'm too much of a control freak to leave things to chance and go down the 'buy things there route' I'm afraid!  ^idiot^ Also, I went to Dubai about 3 years ago and maybe it was just the places we were at or the things I was (hoping) to buy but I found it mega expensive!  :eek:

I was going to go to M&S next week when my sis is on her school hols and stock up on shorts, t.shirts etc. but a friend suggested Matalan yesterday and we headed off there. Like she says, they're sooooooo cheap it doesn't matter if they get covered in sun block (already bouught several bottles using Boots buy one get one free!) you can afford to chuck them before you get home. Sorted!

I also had a debate on another thread about sun shades for the buggy (I think it's on page 2). I ended up with both types, the shade-a-babe and protect-a-bub abd I'm pleased I have both as both are useful for British sun (hahahahaha!!) and foreign sun! I will also be looking to buy a couple of cheap cotton sarongs to use as makeshift blankets/covers for while they're out. I've also bought some battery operated fans that clip on to the buggy from Woolworths. The babes can touch the fan and it will just stop. The fan part are a sort of felt so are perfectly safe. Also, I bought some spray on cooler. It's in a small can and stays really cold even though it's not kept in the fridge, you just point and press. Marvellous stuff!  ;D

I have a made up first aid kit from Boots which will be the first thing in my case and have bought some bags that you sterilise bottles with in the microwave. We're fortunate enough to be staying in a nice villa and I've already checked that they'll provide a blender so we can puree some lovely local fruit and veg as we do at home. I'll not be taking chances with the milk and will be taking it from home as I can't guarantee I'll get the same brand and type and I don't want to change it at 7 months.

I'll also be taking our travel cots, mattresses and sheets. I've checked with Easyjet and the buggy and travel cots don't form part of your personal allowance so they're coming. I'm still waiting to find out if the villa rental people will provide cots and if they do I'll still take the mattress and sheets. The mattresses are quite thin and will easily fold up at the bottom of my case. I don't like the idea of them lying on another baby's puke.  :-\ They will still wear their sleeping bags which should be ok as the villa will have a/c so will be like home temperature wise. The baby monitors, ear thermometer, Calpol etc. will also have to be packed. High chairs are being provided.

Toys are my biggest problem. I think we'll just have to take the bare minimum and then buy stuff out there.

Sun hats and babybanz, biccypegs for teething, swim nappies, all in one swimsuits with built in protection, beau geste caps, neoprene swimming shoes and swimming rings pretty much completes the picture. Oh I do have a big double mozzie net from my younger days so may even pack that to cover them while they're asleep. I can't imagine anything worse than 2 babies itching away at dozens of mozzie bites.  :-\

Hope this helps and I'll be looking forward to other peoples replies to add to my ever growing list! There's bound to be a boat load of stuff I've not even thought about!  ::)

Au revoir!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
the formula is about the only thing I'd take, as you want to keep it the same, and all I was suggesting is take a samll amount of nappies/wipes etc for a rew days, but get the rest there. Obviously you'll take the clothes etc you need. By the way - good tip - you can sterilise bottles (or anything) in a pan with boiling water, it steams them and means you dont have to carry loads of sterlising stuff.

enjoy

·
Registered
841 Posts
I was really worried about what to take.  We didn't have a luggage allowance for ours so we had 60kg for me, DH, DSS and the girls.  Luckily we were travelling as part of a larger group who all assured me that they wouldn't need their full allowance and who packed some clothes and nappies for me plus a few toys.

We ended up being significantly under weight (I always packed too much in the past even after getting stung for nearly £600 excess baggage on our way home from honeymoon!) and I was really proud of myself.  Everyone was amazed about how much stuff I had with me, but I just packed strategically!

My advice would be:

Clothes - pick mix and match stuff, I bought all red, white and blue, preferably cheap and cheerful because sun cream is a bugger.  One swimming costume or sun suit, two hats (the one thing I was paranoid about being without so I took a spare), two jumpers (one to wear, one to wash), a waterproof coat, two PJs.

Toys - anything lightweight and plastic that can be used in the water or sand but don't take too many as all the new sounds and sights will be enough to amuse them much of the time.

Shade a babe or similar - we were skeptical on these but borrowed one and bought one and we wouldn't be without them now.  Great for naps and the evenings.

Food - enough bottles and formula for the week definitely, you don't want to change formula as well as the strange water as well.

Favourite blanket, teddy or whatever.

Sterilising tablets

Enough nappies for the first 2 or 3 days until you find your way around (and I took swim nappies as A was tiny and her nappies were from Germany!)

What did I take that I didn't need?

I could have done with far fewer toys.
Evening outfits.  When we went in April I just bought them some nice new pretty PJs and they wore them in the evening (not that they stayed awake once after 7.30pm) so I could transfer them from their pushchairs to their cots.

Happy hols.

HJG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts